Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kit Walker posted:

Sure looks that way. The two aren't comparable, either. Val is a cool comic but it's high fantasy and has nothing to do with politics at all. Zelda at least talks about modern life through the lens of someone progressive (and flawed).

Prince Valiant is not high fantasy. It's historical fiction/historical fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gowb posted:

He says, right after seeing an example of said comic with the white main character defending native Americans against Mongolians with a black man by his side. Seriously, you can admit to not getting it, but saying Prince Val isn't political is a bit much.

:what:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oh that Mueller, all he got was some nobody like Trump's campaign manager.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Starshark posted:

Lookit dis ratio

https://twitter.com/CarrollBryant/status/929374683086061569

e: fuuuuuuuuck I've almost got more likes and I have thirty followers!

It takes a special kind of idiot Republican to attack "triggered snowflakes" and also whine about being bullied by said snowflakes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rodbeard posted:

Yes, let's desecrate the remains of a crazy person.

Okay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

I've seen some bad takes in this thread but holy loving poo poo.

Did you write this post before or after the most recent Branco?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lightning Knight posted:

Or you’re just being really weird about misinterpreting the comic? The point was not that people shouldn’t pee outside, the point was about double standards.

Using the worst strawman argument outside Branco.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Payndz posted:

Theresa May hosed everything up for herself by calling an election that was supposed to increase the Tory majority (and cement her authority as the new party leader), but actually lost seats and forced her into an alliance with a tiny group of hard-right Irish religious wingnuts. As a result she's being held hostage by her own party's much more numerous wingnuts who want a 'hard Brexit' (just cut and run from the EU, and any consequences will be trivial because "they need us more than we need them", "let the British lion roar", Singapore-on-Thames, bliddy blah), so can't make any sensible deals with the EU without risking a leadership challenge from the Johnny-Foreigner-hating right. The result is a backstabbing stalemate of idiocy that would be hilarious if not for the fact that it's going to wreck the country for generations.

:911::hf::britain:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, BoK just periodically manages to have a good opinion.

So did Trump actually un-break someone?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

I really hate this worn-out implication that working a regular job is somehow getting off easy or doing less. Not to downplay the demands of full-time parenting or anything, but jobs still tend to suck and you don't even get to be with your new kid.

It's probably because of the worn out comic strip tradition of regular jobs involving sitting at a desk working on the Fitzsimmons Account in between talking about football at the water cooler and having a beer on the way home.

But yeah, both sides really do suck. There were times over the last year I wouldn't see my baby for three days in a row because I left for work before she got up and came home after she went to bed. But that also means my wife had to come home from work and feed and bathe the child and herself without any help. The key is to never imply that you have the harder time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jay Rust posted:

Don’t think it’s related to any news item, this is just Two Bulls having fun!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/health/did-trump-slur-his-speech-bn/index.html

quote:

(CNN)While President Donald Trump was giving his historic speech Wednesday to announce that the United States would recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, some on the internet focused on the manner in which he made his statement.

Toward the end of the news conference, some on Twitter and Facebook noted that the President's usual speech pattern changed and that he started to slur his words -- and they speculated about what it could mean.
The official term for slurred speech is dysarthria, when the muscles you use to speak weaken or you have a hard time completely controlling their use.

Dental work -- such as ill-fitting dentures -- can also be blamed. Medication can impact speech, as can drugs and alcohol. Or people can simply slur their words when they get tired.

Although Trump has what de Riesthal would characterize as a typical Queens, New York, accent, "this was a noticeable change for his speech." It could be anything, though, especially since it seemed like he was "working hard to speak" -- as if "having a denture fall or some other alternative explanation." However, it definitely "seemed too unusual for something like that to be dry mouth."

"I noticed that he clears his mouth after finishing speaking, so whether that was a dry mouth or a misplaced dental issue is unclear, but given everything else, that is a much more likely cause of that," he said.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Is this a reference to anything or just kind of cool?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Brainamp posted:

There's some scientists that apparently said they wanted to recreate the mammoth. IIRC the reasoning was to combat global warming which I guess is what the scenic view is all about.

I want to recreate the mammoth because mammoths are loving rad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pakled posted:

The key thing here is that the people making these comics don't see the current wave of sexual abusers being outed as, well, sexual abusers being outed.

They see it as "anyone can claim they've been sexually assaulted for any reason and the accused harasser will be demonized by society regardless of any evidence."

I realized this when I had a conversation with my dad last week in which he said "if you're a man, you'd have to be an idiot to ever hire a woman again." They're not thinking about this from the perspective of the abused, they're thinking about what this means for themselves.

That is one of the pillars of conservatism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Let's quote the whole parable, shall we?

quote:

31 And when the Son of man shall come in his majesty, and all the angels with him, then shall he sit upon the seat of his majesty.
32 And all nations shall be gathered together before him, and he shall separate them one from another, as the shepherd separateth the sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on his left.
34 Then shall the king say to them that shall be on his right hand: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess you the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in:
36 Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me.
37 Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee?
39 Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee?
40 And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me.
41 Then he shall say to them also that shall be on his left hand: Depart from me, you cursed, into everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels.
42 For I was hungry, and you gave me not to eat: I was thirsty, and you gave me not to drink.
43 I was a stranger, and you took me not in: naked, and you covered me not: sick and in prison, and you did not visit me.
44 Then they also shall answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister to thee?
45 Then he shall answer them, saying: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it not to one of these least, neither did you do it to me.
46 And these shall go into everlasting punishment: but the just, into life everlasting.

You and the rest of your miserable party are going to hell you drunk son of a bitch.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mistaya posted:

Motion to make republican animal a goat.

As a lapsed Catholic I still just do not understand how people who profess to follow Jesus can ignore every single thing he ever said when it comes to politics. Jesus would have absolutely loved a strong social safety net. If there is one thing Jesus was unequivocally for, it was helping the poor and the sick.

"woe to you who are rich, for you have already received your comfort." is another one they seem to miss.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:wtc:

There's phoning it in and then there's this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ambitious Spider posted:

It’s weird to me that the stance that pence is even slightly better than trump is getting so much friction. Pence is terrible but maybe not as apocalyptically terrible. It’s a matter of degrees, nobody (except prickly city) is saying pence is the solution all of our problems. I hope they both fall together.

And neither of them is the focused slimy evil of Cruz. Low bars but celebrate what you can

W wasn't as corrupt or inept as Trump, but he started two more forever wars than Trump has because he had evil competent people around him and was able to persuade Congress to come along. So, Bush actually has done more damage to the country and world than Trump.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

My fear is that two days after Mike Pence is sworn in as President following a Trump impeachment, the @POTUS Twitter account spits out some meaningless PR message like it used to do in the Obama era, and then I start seeing all the comfortable middle-aged people in my Facebook feed posting stuff like "SO GLAD to see a return to SANITY!" or "Like this post if you're just happy to have a functioning adult in the White House again!"

like, you know, the kind of people that start counting any Republican who says something critical of Trump as an ally, because #resisting that one specific person is the most important battle to fight right now

This has been said, but who cares? If Trump is impeached and removed, Pence will be completely impotent.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It's simpler than that. Under Obama, ISIS was out of control. Under Trump, ISIS is defeated. Just like how under Obama, the economy was struggling and nobody had a job, but under Trump, the economy is booming.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FronzelNeekburm posted:

On the other hand, I've spoken with conservatives who say the Catholic Church should be in charge of all health care services in the United States, since the Vatican has mountains of money and can afford it, and Christian charity is better than gubmint waste, right?

To paraphrase Luke Skywalker, it's amazing how every part of that is wrong.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I pretty much just skim Garrison's "I need haldol" rants and this stood out as I was speeding through:

quote:

Obama’s Muslim prayer rugs have been removed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

the_steve posted:

His ideology is literally that one Dems vs Republicans meme:
- More money for me
- gently caress you.

Except that unlike traditional Republicans, it's not "more money for me and my donors" it's "me and my family."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Turtlicious posted:

What's wing nut welfare.

Paul Krugman:

quote:

Wingnut welfare is an important, underrated feature of the modern U.S. political scene. I don’t know who came up with the term, but anyone who follows right-wing careers knows whereof I speak: the lavishly-funded ecosystem of billionaire-financed think tanks, media outlets, and so on provides a comfortable cushion for politicians and pundits who tell such people what they want to hear. Lose an election, make economic forecasts that turn out laughably wrong, whatever — no matter, there’s always a fallback job available.

Obviously this reality has important incentive effects. It encourages conservatives to espouse ever-cruder positions, because they don’t need to be taken seriously outside their closed universe.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

Happy New Year! Enjoy the last word on politics you'll need in 2017: "Jillenstein!"

That essay is bad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

A critique is always more welcome than a critic.

It started out bad by saying that anyone gives a poo poo about Jill Stein or blames her for anything other than embarrassing Facebook posts and veers right into loving awful when you try to discredit her critics by accusing them of "blood libel" against a Jew.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Death Ray posted:

Well... I give plenty of quoted examples of people who do care about her enough to hate her with disproportionate passion, including high level members of Clinton's campaign team. Clinton herself pointed a finger of blame at Stein in her book, and of course, there is the chaff recently thrown out by the Senate committee investigating the election. You can call Jill Stein inconsequential (in fact, I all but say it myself), but she sure does attract a lot of ire.

(Is Jill Stein Jewish? I never even considered that. The "blood libels" made against her are for being a leftist, not a Hebrew.)

"blood libel" is specifically an antisemitic accusation.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Unkempt posted:

Not literally 'heard', no. You got me.

Your opinions are, nevertheless, incredibly stupid.

His cartoons are, however, pretty good.

So I'll just enjoy my Weapon Brown and ignore the essays until he realizes that

420 Gank Mid posted:

Third Parties in America are nothing more than hybrid Vanity Project/Financial Fraud schemes that pop up once every four years pretending to campaign for President of the United States and then go back to never actually organizing a political party quietly until the next cycle.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

420 Gank Mid posted:

Third Parties in America are nothing more than hybrid Vanity Project/Financial Fraud schemes that pop up once every four years pretending to campaign for President of the United States and then go back to never actually organizing a political party quietly until the next cycle.

Oh, and because Dan Savage's rant was mentioned, here is the best part of it:

quote:

If you're interested in building a third party, a viable third party, you don’t start with president. You don't start by running someone for loving president.

Where are the Green Party candidates for city councils? For county councils? For state legislatures? For state assessor? For state insurance commissioner? For governor? For loving dogcatcher? I would be SO willing to vote for Green Party candidates who are starting at the bottom, grassroots, bottom up, building a third party, a viable third party.

You don't do that by trotting out the reanimated corpse of Ralph loving Nader every four loving years. Or his doppelgänger, whoever it is now, Jill Stein and some rear end in a top hat-to-be-named four years from now. You start by running grassroots, local campaigns. And there've been — and I'm sure we're going hear from lots of people out there listening — there have been a couple of Green Party candidates who’ve run in other races here and there across the country. But no sustained effort to build a Green Party nationally. Just this griping, bullshitty, grandstanding, fault-finding, purity-testing, holier than thou-ing, that we are all subjected to every four loving years by the Green Party candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vib Rib posted:

Being a woman is a gimmick, thanks for letting me know.

Only if it's HILDEBEAST, not if it's Jill Stein.

• Locked thread