Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
why in god's name would you pick that color with that patterning for your flattering image of Donald Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

I know it's a novel concept for liberals to wrap their heads around, but some people on the left have these things called principles, and so rather than vote for a candidate based on their appearance or other superficial irrelevance like that, you vote for them based on their politics, on what they stand for. The old idea that policies

Jeremy Corbyn stands for a lot of good things. He just also happens to be a horrible leader. And yet it says something about the quality of the bench that despite me acknowledging he's been a really bad leader who has failed in the main thing I voted for him to do (changing the mechanism for how Labour leaders are voted & generally democratising the party's internal politics) while dragging the Overton Window just a tiny bit left again after 40 years of Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown & Cameron, just enough to the left to save one of the few good things about this trash heap country, the NHS. And there's STILL no obvious challenger, even with Corbyn's internal support being demoralised after his whipping on the EU vote. The UK Labour Party's problems run deeper than the leader, or they'd have won the 2015 election.

But you just go back to repeating ignorant poo poo about the left because you're mad that Hilary ran a poo poo campaign but you can't blame your darling Queen so blame the insignificant numbers who voted for Stein instead. Much easier than a bit of self-criticism, and reflecting that maybe liberalism is a worthless idea which has lead to a huge growth in inequality across the western world.

Goodness.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Picture four Trumpists on the edge of a cliff...

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

So I've been reading this thread for a few years now. If you'd have asked me around the time I started following it if right wing political cartoonists would someday freely admit that it's unusually hot outside I'd have laughed in your face. What the gently caress exactly is going on? I'm downright surprised they broke from the narrative to make a slew of "LOL IT HOT" cartoons.

Because they don't think they're admitting to anything being unusual, it's either "IF GLOBAL WARMING WHY SNOW" or "GOD HAS BLESSED US WITH GORGEOUS UNSEASONABLE WEATHER" and the two aren't linked at all in any way.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

It's basically white supremacist?/overt fascist?/both?

Surprise surprise RP's readership is predominantly both white supremacist and overtly fascist. gently caress it and him and them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Trump is planning to nationalize the media and eliminate all ideological opposition within: a good cartoon.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

What the gently caress are conservatives doing in public restrooms? :gonk:

Soliciting anonymous gay sex?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

a) it didn't, probably, it developing from nothing is your thing, b) not until it can live on its own outside of its mother but this is more a philosophical thing than a science thing, c) lots probably because neurochemistry is complicated. Any others?

Though "backing away without losing eye contact" is indeed probably the right call here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

the first two questions are supposed to be unknowable by science so by process of thinking too much about it we can assume adam believes there are as many genders as stars in the sky

God made man in His image and God is male so therefore there's only one gender, checkmate women. :smuggo:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Actually God is intersex, being both male and female:

Therefore, androgyny is a way to make yourself closer to god. Checkmate, cisfolk.

The holiest gender is nonbinary, AGC. Drag should be compulsory for priests.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Peanut Butler posted:

yah dude doesn't gently caress around when it comes to correcting people

XI. Thou shalt not misgender thy neighbor, nor thy neighbor's daughter, nor thy neighbor's rear end. I am the Lord your God.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Good news, even if you do not live in Houston, odds are you live within walking distance of an actual Nazi, these days. :911:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm getting the distinct sense that Mac is only comfortable skewering the stodgy misogyny of old institutions because they're Scottish, and this would be a much less light-hearted and harmless cartoon if a Proper English Club were at issue. Am I being uncharitable?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Somfin posted:

E: also lol why would hell respect the greenback you fuckin' idiot

Uh because obviously Fiat money is backed by the full faith and credit of the Infernal Kingdom of Satan :tinfoil:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ranter posted:

How many people here read the wall of text passing itself off as a cartoon called First Dog on the Moon?

I do when I'm actually on my computer rather than phone posting, and when I'm feeling like reading a lot. So rarely.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

The longest we've ever had in terms of political dynasty is two, and that seems to be a perfectly acceptable amount honestly. I dare you to oppose FDR on the basis that we've already had a Roosevelt president, for instance. As far as I know we've never even threatened to have a third until JEB and, well, lol.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Weren't some of the Adamses related?

John and John Quincy were father and son, yep.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Dueling Bandsaws posted:

I'm guessing because Hillary Clinton has never been particularly subtle about her political ambitions, even by the standards of "I have a female reproductive unit and genetic spawn to prove that I, Ted Cruz, am a human being and not an eldritch horror from beyond the veil" US political campaigning.

Yeah, but neither are lots of people, we don't use that kind of terminology for anyone but her. Maybe it's worth considering what kind of toxic narratives we are unwittingly and unintentionally perpetuating.

Tbh I kind of like my politicians to be open about their ambitions; I voted for a mayor who is young and passionate and also transparently wants to use the mayoral office to run for governor or something one day. Which I'm ok with, it's incentive to do well.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_law_of_oligarchy

As long as gaining membership in the ruling class is not an unduly onerous task, and as long as the ruling class can be influenced by a motivated group of constituents, that is literally democracy as we know it, as good as it gets.

Yep, there will always be a "political class," there has always been a political class, and even in the most anarcho-syndicalist jerkoff wet dream possible there is still a political class in the form of "the people who care the most."

The idea is not to eliminate the political class but to ensure anyone driven and capable enough can become part of it without regard to irrelevant qualifications, such as money or family name.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 26, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

It's you, you're the one with the hastily formulated bad take. Gaze too long into the abyss and all that, I suppose.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

21 Muns posted:

AOL? Seriously?

Okay, I may have misjudged the significance of this, but I still think it's a pretty lovely thing to do a cartoon on. Varvel wouldn't have drawn what he did if it had been a mosque.

Christianity originated in the Middle East and has been a fairly significant presence there ever since, even if it is a numerical minority in the last several centuries.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

While I'm warm to the overall point here, this is rather missing a key distinction: while the furor this round was about the banned form of weapon, the other part of it is intentionally targeting civilians. Right or wrong, it's considered okay to hit civilians accidentally or incidentally, but a war crime to hit them on purpose, which is why the beheadings are put in the same category as the gas.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A return to form for Stantis, crushing nihilism having gotten so tiresome that he could think to do only one thing, ironically the same thing his hated Trump resorted to doing: attack Hillary Clinton Hunny Bunny.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

The Republicans are holding a giant number two. AGC?

Or is that :thejoke:, that even Ramierz thinks its poo poo?

He thinks the Republicans knuckled under and surrendered to the Dumbocrats :arghfist: and they should be able to trample all over everything that is good and pure instead of bargaining.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

Here thread, a Bennett

9/10, needs the just-visible edge of a 2016 electoral map on the wall outside

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Kopijeger posted:

On the other hand, what do you expect when a story is adapted in another country?

Poster for a Takarazuka production based on The Three Musketeers. Not only are the characters yellowwashed, all the actors are female, thus most of them are in drag.

Apropos of nothing but that is a kick-rear end Louise the Sun Queen

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Kit Walker posted:

Boy is he gonna feel stupid when Hillary doesn't run again. Just kidding, he'll keep pumping out Hunny Bunny comics until the heat death of the universe

If it hadn't so badly hosed us, it would be funny how incredibly, searingly mad this one woman made the entire right wing and a good portion of the left as well.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

No new Zelda today:

Ma'am this is a 7-eleven

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Tei posted:

Reality just surpassed the most crazy cartoons.

Is that a Palantir?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

"People? You're drunk, Franklin, the people aren't doing any electing! Our system of sober, unbiased electors will ensure the presidency is always occupied by someone well respected by all the several States. More beer, anyone?"

e: also, what the hell are you talking about Franklin, this is the Declaration of Independence we're signing

Quorum fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 4, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Actually, the Paris Accord was a substantial Improvement, and an excellent platform for continuing to ameliorate the inevitable damage of climate change. But sure, go ahead and indulge the UN is so useless jerk off that everyone, even liberal cartoonists, enjoy so much.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jurgan posted:

I was assuming the animal was a donkey. If it's not, then that puts the cartoon in a whole new light.

Wait, what does "going nuclear" mean in this context? It's supposed to refer to the majority eliminating the filibuster. What is the minority supposed to do that's called "nuclear?" Is this the Orwellian thing about phrases being so familiar that they slide into arguments with no regard for their meaning?

It's a thing where you stop giving "unanimous consent" to procedural stuff, causing literally everything in the Senate to slow to a crawl. At best it would delay an AHCA vote by about two weeks, and it runs the risk of scaring some of the GOP soft yesses into the fold; the nameless staffer is being quoted as judging that payoff not worth it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Of course Kelly thinks bats are creepy and not adorable as hell. :colbert:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

You're reading quiiiiite a bit into that post, friendo

I'm not sure how you can translate "some Democrats are using the Russia thing as an excuse not to discuss issues" into "I actively support Russian interventionism in American politics" unless you're viewing the world through your Louise Mensch goggles

Whether Russian meddling is allowed to continue is not correlated to exactly how big a stink Democrats make of it in the meantime. Let Mueller do his job, and in the meantime, represent the interests of your constituency. :colbert:

Letting Mueller do his job is not mutually exclusive from making a big stink at any opportunity. Republicans did that for something much faker than this and it only benefitted them so I say go at it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

Not to mention that it's far from certain that it was humans that killed all the animals: http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/01/what-killed-great-beasts-north-america

The fact remains that "Native Americans lived in perfect harmony with nature and were at peace with one another and their environment" is essentially an Orientalist view applied to a large and diverse collection of pre-Columbian societies, consigning them, their agency, and their ability to be just as destructive to their environments as anyone else with the same technological capacities to a sort of never-changing savage state of nature. It's not surprising that Marty Two Bulls clings hard to it, necessarily, because too often the alternative in mainstream discourse is even worse. (And he's an older guy and grew up when the more nuanced assessments that modern scholarship is working on producing were nowhere to be seen, and the argument was more or less between peaceful state-of-nature a la Pocahontas and the worst sort of settler-scalping-savages narrative.)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I would read a book entitled gently caress You Comey by Hillary, that sounds entertaining.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Johnny Walker posted:

This isn't the only cartoon like this so I have to ask: why are Democrats supposed to be afraid of Hillary's book?

Fomenting Democratic infighting profits the right, so fox and associated Gremlins have been hyping this book and the tour. Even if speaking the Name of the Unnameable One weren't actually a good way of causing Democrats to come to blows, which it sometimes is, it is worth it to them to make it seem that way.

And anyone who gives two shits about this dumb thing is helping.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

Christmas parties in academia are a big boozefest in my experience, even the cash-strapped public library I worked at in my twenties had a decent party with a DJ and a free bar.

Can confirm, work in academia-ish and they always provide a huge bowl of very alcoholic 18th century punch.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

Happy new year, goons!

The perfect ending cartoon to this ridiculous year. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Death Ray posted:

Dare I ask if you even read the editorial? Because I address all of those points.

Oh my God it's your article you sad sack

• Locked thread