Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Wait, you DON'T cook everything on the barbecue all at once?

Well no, but you can do a lot with the left over heat after smoking something and moving to rest. You can do even more if your willing to add a cast iron skillet to the mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Radish posted:

My favorite Branco will always be this one.

Blaming Obamacare for getting an STD. Even if the argument isn't already absurd, it's the most petulant where obviously the self insert angry white guy takes none of the blame for having sex with someone. He can't even help but draw the guy we are supposed to empathize with as anything other than a douchey looking rear end in a top hat.

I really like the detail on the cold sore, it really ties the cartoon together.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Pakled posted:

I could have sworn I read in the introduction of a Foxtrot collection from the early 90's that the lead-in time for their strips was two weeks for dailies and six weeks for Sunday strips.

Most anthologies from that time go into it. Scott Adams was usually 3-4 months ahead. Bill Watterson's Tenth Anniversary collection is really interesting,.He did all the color for his own strip. Scott Adams complained about how the colorist picked the worst time to add color to the cast. Waterson's book is definitely worth reading if you like a lot of newspaper comic history. Scott not so much.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
I've just come back to this thread after a few years hiatus. Going over the first post to find out what happened to Day by Day and who the gently caress Zelda was, I noticed a line in the archives. Cartoonists and their families have been weeding out the truly lovely cartoons when it comes to archiving them. I don't know about that but I do know the full papers have been archived. I thought I would whip up some editorial cartoon history starting with Chuck Asay in the late 1970s.

As best as I can tell Chuck has always hated food programs. 2-26-1981

Part 1
Part 2
From 3-12-81 An editorial about the above cartoon. Editorials turned out to be a good way to pin down a publishing schedule. Asay generated a lot of letters.

2-2-78 Chuck rails against big lunch quite a bit.

4-18-1973 All of these came from the Taos News out of New Mexico. At first I thought this was racism, and it might be, but it might just be about water rights.

4-18-1973 This one is racism

1-12-1978 Big Park? I actually have no idea.

1-12-1978 Apparently about a new sign ordinance. It's also probably a dig on poor people.

1-5-78 This one is just surreal

1-2-1960 And to end on a not horrible note. I have no idea who drew this. From the New York Age

The clipping service I use is Newspapers.com. I have a subscription so if people are interested I can try digging through it to find truly terrible stuff from the past.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Saint Sputnik posted:

I wanna see some from 1939 excusing American Nazis.

I'll see what I can do.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Some things I've noticed about the comics of this era. Comic strips were a big deal, the Sunday paper could reach twenty pages of comics. Editorial comics were not a big deal. Most of the papers I've seen had one staff cartoonist who provided all of the editorial comics for the paper.

Another group of early WWII

I haven't come across pro Nazi comics in 1939 yet. As far as I can tell the government had already started cracking down on that. I did see a number of stories about an embezzlement trial involving the German American Bund that were interesting but no comics yet.
German American Bund

Hitlerism uber alies!-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 6-8-1937

Storm Brewing-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-3-1939

Snake in the grass-- Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-4-1943

Winter Goblin --Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-14-1939

Babes in the woods--The Wilkes-Barre Record 1-20-1936

Sittin' Pretty--The Tennessean 2-19-1939

A Strong Protection--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-4-1939

Conscientious tax payer is probably the most Kelly thing I've ever seen.
Wrong course--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 6-9-1937

Sober Report--Brooklyn Daily Eagle 1-11-1939

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
I went looking for the worst of the worst. I figured Montgomery Alabama in the early 1960s would be the easiest place to find it. Turns out that in my semi random sample I didn't see anything in the editorial comics about the civil rights movement. There was however plenty of actual news coverage on the subject so it was clearly on everybody's mind. I would also like to thank the 1960s era Montgomery Advertiser for having a consistent format. The editorial cartoon stayed on page four for at least five years, that's not really relevant to anything but it did make it a lot easier to search.

This is from the Emancipator, an Alabama newspaper from the late 1910s dealing with civil rights. They didn't have much in the way of editorial comics but if your looking for a good source for Civil rights history in the 1910s it's a great place to start. The above comic was from Saturday Aug 9 1919

Montgomery Advertiser May 14 1957 Nonsense it's the year after an election year.

Montgomery Advertiser May 9 1957

Montgomery Advertiser 1959

Montgomery Advertiser Jan 7 1962 I've seen this theme a lot, it's probably a goto for lazy artist day.

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 13 1960 I really like the artistic style of animals from this era.

Montgomery Advertiser Apr 4 1959 Over a year before the 1960 election.

Montgomery Advertiser Oct 17 1959 Still over a year from the election. Also I hope you guys like Nixon.

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 21 1960 I always forget that Nixon was relevant before 1968

Montgomery Advertiser Aug 15 1960

Montgomery Advertiser Apr 12 1961 This was a year before he gave his "won't have Nixon to kick around" speech. Apparently he was something of a nuisance.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Somebody mentioned the Challenger disaster so I looked for comics after that in the Reno Gazette-Journal

A thing happened

Feb 2 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

Reagan maybe?

Feb 1 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

Jeff MacNelly was the creator of the comic Shoe, he was also one of the more popular editorial cartoonists in the late 20th century. He died in 2000.

May 5 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is about Tennesse v. Garner where the supreme court ruled police can't use deadly force on a fleeing suspect without probable cause that they will hurt somebody.

April 4 1985 Reno Gazette-Journal

Yeah the quality of the four horsemen turned to poo poo after replacing death with ignorance.

April 4 1986 Reno Gazette Journal

People bowing is serious business

April 16 1986

I really have no idea

February 2 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is some guy named Gorrell. You've probably never heard of him.

October 6 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

I'm gonna be honest, if the signature wasn't exactly the same I would have never guessed it was the same artist.

Jan 29 1986 Reno Gazette-Journal

This is just something I thought was funny. Imagine the conspiracy theories if this was a democrat.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

duz posted:

The response to that has been "that just means they're stealing from the insurance company!" which is just laffo.

It's kind of like employees not getting to eat food that would otherwise be thrown away. Except that 99% of the people are just trying to survive and it's much harder to fake a hurricane then it is to say oh this sandwich is garbage.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
:siren: This post contains lots of Gorrell :siren:

Here is a collection of mostly forgettable Gorrell. Fun irrelevant fact, my hometown had a highly regarded educator named Bob Gorrell. This made searching for his name less painful, but also less useful.

You can ignore any clipped headlines, they aren't relevant to the comic.

May 20 1985
(caption) Things sure have been peaceful, since the Israelis pulled out...

July 8 1985

March 8 1987
(caption) By golly, it's true... he is more open..."

August 31 1988

November 2 1988

June 7 1989

August 17 1989
(caption) It's just their flag that gets them mad... you can desecrate Americans all you want!...

November 4 1989

February 19 1990

And a sneak preview.

January 1994

Throwing Turtles fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2017

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Xander77 posted:

Why are these so tiny?

It's the default way they come out of the newspaper site. Blowing them up on imgur makes them really blurry. I'll see if I the paper site has any options.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Xander77 posted:

Why are these so tiny?

Found a way to fix it.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
It occurs to me that editorial cartooning is like country music. Once you get established you can stay there forever.

Caption- Here's the catch--There all at the unemployment office.!
Bennet 1 10 1994

Bennet 1 18 1994

Bennet 4 7 1996

Bok 1 4 1995

Bok 1 5 1995

Day 1 12 1994

Horsey 6 30 1994

Horsey 6 17 1995

Horsey Jan 4 1996

Luckovich 1 3 1995

Tinsley 12 31 1996

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Selachian posted:

I have to say this is in just slightly poor taste, since the people getting ethnically cleansed in Burma are mostly Muslims.

So is this what replaces the lazy "guy holding a newspaper with convenient headlines"?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Kirschen's style is simple and lazy. Liccar is like a bad acid trip. Horrifying but that horror helps sell his message. Rall's art style contributes nothing to his message and he's so drat smug that everybody hates it even if they agree with it. If the faces of Hannity, Shkreli, and Cruz all got together and found a way to have a kid that kid would look like a Rall comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

Trump would never say "lunar perigee". He might say "moon getting hugely close, you've never seen a moon as close as this one, believe me" but not "lunar perigee".

Trump would never propose solar-powered anything. Solar-powered stuff is an invention of the Chinese hoaxters. Coal-powered pumps would bring on coal jobs and make coal mining great again, however.

No Trump has actually come out with the idea of putting solar panels on the wall. One of his great ideas that his great brain found somewhere. http://fortune.com/2017/06/23/fact-checking-donald-trump-solar-powered-wall/

• Locked thread