Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, the issue wasn't the polls themselves. It was more that the people reporting on the polls couldn't believe Trump could win, so they spun them in a way that made Clinton seem inevitable. Silver and Co. got that mistake out of their system in the primaries, when they marked Trump's chance of getting the nomination somewhere between 2 and negative 10 percent, so they were chastened and more cautious in the general.

There's also the fact that under a functioning political system, Trump winning SHOULD have been impossible. The problem is that the people in gatekeeping this election (GOP leadership primarily, but later on the Electoral College) seem to have assumed that ~The Process~ magically screens out unacceptable candidates and they didn't have to do anything special.

Ugh, there was a post on 538 about that back in the early days of the election, but I'm having trouble finding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

U.T. Raptor posted:

The problem is that the Republicans don't want a functional political system, and since no one (especially the voters) is ever willing to hold them accountable for their actions they're getting exactly what they want.

Don't get me wrong, they've been chipping at the country's democratic institutions for decades now, but they still want a functional Republican Party. They didn't want Trump to win, but they decided to go all-in against Cruz instead of Trump, and they didn't pivot fast enough (if it was even possible to pivot at all). Here's the article I was looking for, says it a lot better than my half-rememberings of it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Glenn McCoy angling for RaHoWa-est Cartoon in the 2017 Gay Abortions?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

SwimmingSpider posted:

the best spiders are cellar spiders because they are literally harmless to humans and they eat spiders that are dealdier to us than they are, like black widows

Also they do this:

Source (I should post Bird and Moon when it gets vaguely political)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Casting Trump and the GOP as Mexicans is an odd choice.

Or it would be if this weren't Ken "ctrl+v" Catalino.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Syrnn posted:

I'll preface this saying that I'm not very tech-savvy, but I also no luddite, but... Am I just really getting old and out of touch or is everything suddenly being termed the very non-specific "Cyber[word]" sounding like uninformed minds locked in the technological awareness of the 1980s? Has this really been the industry jargon lately? Writing this I have to ask if in an analogy of the Abe Simpson "Old Man Yells At Cloud" headline, whether they are the old men or I am. :negative:

edit: my earliest encounter with 'cyber' being used contemporaneously to mean anything other than chatroom phone sex was honestly Trump talking about how his 10 year old is "very good at cyber". I'm still not sure I'm convinced that he didn't mean his kid grabs a mean digital pussy.

I'll just leave this here.

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/816481483804184577

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Mike "Pants Donkey" Lukovich wants you to sign this petition:

https://twitter.com/mluckovichajc/status/818907983673442304

So does William Perry, who has served as Secretary of Defense under Clinton and as a nuclear adviser under Obama, George W. Bush, Clinton, HW Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, LBJ, JFK, and Eisenhower. This is something that is within Obama's power to change before the 20th, so it's not just screaming into the void.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

duz posted:

Yeah, this was the same stuff that was floating around a year ago and no one was biting because it's so obviously fake or mostly fake.

I thought so but apparently there's something to it:

http://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/818990655418617856

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Johntalouette posted:

A few pages back, but ArmsControlWonk is a wonderful podcast if you want to be afraid/depressed.

I agree that it's wonderful, but I actually find it very inspiring and encouraging to see these people plugging away, in spite of grievous setbacks, at their important but thankless work. It makes sense of geopolitics too, turning it into a very difficult problem to untangle rather than Bad Guys sitting in their skull thrones cackling maniacally.

My absolute favorite is when they talk about Taiwan, because of all the James Bond poo poo Taiwan gets up to and bungles miserably. Secret underwater doors for stealing nuclear waste! Disguised missiles! GREEN BEE!

Second favorite is Vadim's Bag, god I wish they'd post that picture.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm partial to Goldengate.

There sure is a lot to unpack in the dumb loving thing. Let's start with the donkey's open eye. That's a conscious and terrified eye. The donkey is aware of the elephants casually discussing murdering it (organ harvest or no, they want it dead, and again it's drawn as visibly conscious). The metaphor even concedes that the ACA has lots of parts that are worth salvaging and that the elephants are contemplating throwing those away purely out of spite, since the question of whether your organs are harvested is one of consent, not organ quality.

And stepping back from the metaphor, when a law has parts you want to keep, you KEEP THE drat LAW AND AMEND IT. YOU REPEAL LAWS WHEN THEY CONTAIN NOTHING OF VALUE.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Bok look how easy it is to draw a metaphor for something being dead. You put an X through its eyes. You don't draw the eye WIDE OPEN WITH A PUPIL AND SURROUNDED BY FEAR LINES.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Since we're in the twilight hours of the Obama administration, here's a little reminder of happier times:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm trying to come up with a pithy way of phrasing it, but it really galls Republicans that some people are rich in social capital and it affords them the same undue influence that being rich in money does.

Or more likely, they just criticize anyone who disagrees with them on spurious grounds.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, eating garbage and not taking care of yourself is the best way to get back at Obummer.

Hope early death from diabetes and heart disease isn't a big deal for you.

Kelly does cartoons for the Onion and is satirical, and goons will be dicks to you if you don't already know that. Hope this helps.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yesss finally an opportunity to spring DbD on my unsuspecting friends again, here's a direct quote: "oh good I was just wondering what he's up t--AGH"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Are we going to need a Most callous use of the dead or dying category in the 2017 Gay Abortions?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

FreeKillB posted:

I would consider the argument that even Nazis have a right to not be punched in the face to be real. Like, it was funny and I'm not going to shed tears for the rear end in a top hat, but "it's okay to use violence to suppress the expression of political ideas I find abhorrent" is not a sentiment that I find compatible with the ideals of Western democracy.

I agree, but I think it's an okay compromise to say that while there are good reasons for punching Nazis to be illegal, punching Nazis is still morally good.

That way the state doesn't condone violence against minorities, even ones you find abhorrent (the "sinking to their level" argument), but you still get to send a powerful message that America doesn't stand for Nazis.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Hey can you fuckers shut up and stop sapping the joy out of a Nazi getting punched in the face?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

loquacius posted:

I'm guessing it's a response to those post-election hot takes about "the Rust Belt will lose their healthcare but it's okay, they deserve death for voting the way they did"

in which case yeah it's a little late for relevance

People are still saying that though.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Please share.

e: one of only a couple politoons-related things I have saved in my dumb pictures folder, here's another:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

oddium posted:

that's the canadian who loves street fighter right

Neopie posted:

please explain how the second picture is politoons related

Yes, that's JJ McCullough. Here's a cartoon of his that came up on GIS:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, and he's also a piece of poo poo that made his fortune by buying already well known companies like SpaceX and Tesla and slapping his name on everything and also working directly with Trump.

http://gizmodo.com/things-are-going-insanely-well-for-elon-musk-since-trum-1791654822

He's a tire fire of a man on the level of Thiel but since he does ~cool~ stuff like electric cars people have ignored it for much longer. gently caress Elon Musk, he's an awful person.

No, he founded SpaceX and Tesla. Maybe you're thinking of the fact that he bought SolarCity because he wanted to integrate their battery tech with Tesla?

He literally founded SpaceX to spite the Russians, who he felt were trying to gouge him on rockets. SpaceX's medium-term plan is to expand the launch market by making it more affordable (and to undercut the Russian market), and their slightly-longer-than-medium-term plan is to deploy a massive constellation of internet satellites into low Earth orbit. I can't overstate what a boon for humanity that would be, it's an era-demarcating infrastructure project. Even ignoring the freedom of speech thing, access to internet banking would revolutionize the lives of people who don't even have roads.

Musk is a huge nerd and the hyperloop is dumb as gently caress, but he's absolutely not a corporate parasite like you're saying. He's good & cool.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Reminder that Pissgate broke on the 10th, so Stantis/Allie had to wrap up the weeks arc before addressing it.

Apparently the goblin has salacious intelligence reports about her!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MinesottaFatsPoolLegend posted:

You have a choice between destroying the political cartoon art style or the family guy/CAD/goanimate art style

I got mad at the use of Horsey and Beeler to illustrate how ugly political cartoons are, so I fixed it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You should have put one of Branco's drawings in there.

I'd let a thousand Family Guys live to kill just one Branco drawing.

I'd considered Branco, Bok, and Liccar but I figured I should showcase top-tier cartoonists with a national reach. And Chip Bok because seriously, gently caress that guy.

If I had less petty personal loathing for Bok I'd have done Ed Gamble in his place, but that's not the world we live in.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Can't read the signature, who's the cartoonist?

:v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Stroop There It Is posted:

Do you guys really not have any friends who constantly post poo poo about how outraged they are about everything on social media and don't actually DO anything? Virtue signalling is a real, annoying phenomenon that happens all over the political spectrum, and the fact that the term is being co-opted by the right to dismiss any political opinions they disagree with doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm a lefty trans queermo in the one of the bluest states and I'm pretty goddamn outraged about what's been happening, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that plenty of people on both sides say things because it makes them feel good.

This is true but it's also true that the particular phrase "virtue signaling" is a nazi shibboleth.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I like this one: decent art, a clear and simple metaphor, a straightforward argument that holds some nuance, good use of labels (I'm especially tickled by the use of the NATO logo), and it's always neat to see cartoons from countries you don't normally hear much about. Latvia, in this case.

Gatis Sluka definitely seems like one to watch.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Since I'm on a Gatis Sluka kick, here's some cartoons that I haven't seen here and made me laugh:

There was one I can't find now which wasn't translated and looked like an inane "Ikea instructions are complicated" joke, but the expressions were so goofy I couldn't help but love it anyway. They were like "Oh man you're gonna love this" and "gently caress yes I'm gonna do so much sitting when I get this thing assembled!"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

nerd plus rage posted:

In these trying times I want to point out Pat Bagley's excellent Twitter https://twitter.com/Patbagley/status/828334604423618560

I don't want people to miss this.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

There's the Varvel art style I've loathed all this time, I was getting worried that he was starting to improve.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say edits that show up in this thread like "the cartoonist has no idea how net neutrality works" fall under fair use because it attributes to them, it's making a criticism of the original work that inherently needs the original to make sense, AND it's not trying to be passed off as a wholly original idea of the person who edited it.

That last point is the most important, which is why it's especially funny that Bok lost his poo poo about the signature being left on. Even most of the edits that run around in these threads are, from context, understood to be derivative works, and they rarely end up in the wider world to cause problems.

Art theft is a real problem online, and this is a clear-cut case of it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I dunno about sickened but in many ways Obama was the white moderate that King specifically called the biggest problem.

Okay but there weren't any MLK cartoons that took that angle, every single one used the "content of his character" quote to say "actually he's incompetent because he's black."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I can understand being upset that the Patriots who win all the time won and that you dislike their heel quarterback or whatever but anyone weaving election narratives into that football game need to get a fuckin grip goddamn

It depends, shitheads like Punchable Spencer made it into one, then people on the left bought into that narrative and were all "owned much? this is payback for the election." So stuff like this was hilarious:

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/828400127362682880

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

Playing midgame percentages like that strikes me as ridiculous when the human factor is still so very much in play. The Falcons literally called plays that hosed themselves over without the Patriots having to do much, and I'm not sure how mathematical modeling can account for that

That's the whole point of statistics! You don't need to understand the specifics of every possible fuckup to make a useful estimate of the probability that they'll gently caress up spectacularly.

The point of that tweet was to remind people that improbable events happen ALL THE TIME, and that 14% isn't a very low probability anyway. Humans have a very hard time accepting probabilities other than 100% (certain) and in some cases 50% (uncertain).

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Haha I know I'll draw the president I hate bellowing jingoism at a dead man and his mourning family, that will surely serve my overall point of [?????? don't forget to fill this in -MB] and not seem crass on my part at all!!

The overall point is "Donald Trump does not have separate public and private personas, what you see is what you get. And what we see is this."

E: that man is dead because Trump's advisors dared him, "Obama wouldn't have the balls to approve this raid."

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As a craps dealing professional, I am sick that the tools of my occupation were used in a Ramirez cartoon. However, he did get the dice right. You would not believe how often people gently caress up something as commonplace as dice. I must give him credit for that.

"Dice are random, right? So the arrangement of pips must be random too, cool I don't need a reference." - a bad artist

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

^^ yes

Internet Webguy posted:

0-3 you whiny rear end bitch!

The court smacked him down because, "you piece of poo poo moron you didn't even offer a fig leaf of justification, go gently caress yourself." "CASE FOR TRAVEL BAN" indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

Giving the banks a break with lighter regulations is risking another market crash. AGC.

That's the intended message, duder. The Economist may be focused on economics, but so's Paul Krugman. Their cartoonist is especially sane and on-point, too.

VV :hfive:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 10, 2017

• Locked thread