Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The commercial is so bad I can't help but suspect they knowingly made it the way they did to cause controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Gee, Chip, it's almost like Obama never actually really declared "War on Coal" and it's just the way we loving make energy has changed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jay Rust posted:

(I do think his art is below average)
By political cartoonist standards I would say it's above average.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

As a cartoonist, wouldn't it make more sense to draw an elephant in the room to represent said elephant in the room? Also, an elephant wouldn't be in someone's lap. You know I just don't think this is a very good use of that metaphor.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

seiferguy posted:

I'm not going to say that right wing cartoonists (mainly Lester, McCoy and Ramirez) are racist because they always want to poo poo on Obama's legacy. I'm sure there's a racial aspect, but I think it's more that their current president is realllly unpopular and even people in his party hate em (although they'll go along with him because he mostly gives what the party wants). So it's a lot easier to make fun of Obama's legacy being destroyed than to prop Trump up as an actual good human being like Branco and Garrison do.
If Republicans don't tear down Obama's image, people might look back at the things he did--and things he tried to do and/or at least talked about--and start demanding stuff like health care and livable wages and they won't be able to pass their tax cuts and eventually kill the federal government.

I think the Obama bashing comes from a lot of places, really, but I think that's one. Their elevation of Reagan to presidential sainthood has helped enable 30+ years of the Republican agenda.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

:same:

Even long after computer word processors were a thing, my father was adamant that periods always had to be followed by two spaces. Took a long time to break the habit.
This makes me remember when I was a kid and we had a word processor machine. It was like in between a typewriter and a computer with a printer. It was big and heavy but supposedly portable. It had a tiny little screen that showed like part of a line at a time so proofreading before printing was hard, but technically possible.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

loquacius posted:

I'm (pedantically) mad about the way everyone's talking about the United thing as an "overbooking" issue, because it's worse than that

They beat a guy up to get him off the plane to make room for United employees, not for another paying customer
And they did it because they couldn't find anyone else to cover one flight for that employee.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What America needs is an unrestrained military, free from civilian oversight to do what it wants.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

21 Muns posted:

The cartoon literally doesn't depict it as bad, though? It completely downplays any nonconsensual aspect and doesn't even portray the woman Trump is groping as a person. We're supposed to think "gee, those reporters sure are backwards, thinking that Sex Is Bad and Violence Is Good".
And what about you, completely ignoring the fact the cartoon depicts Trump keeping pundits in cages like animals, as if there's nothing wrong with that either? That's an even more hosed up message to me. I can't believe Lubchansky would do such a thing.

Here is my dog, who is a little chunky.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 19, 2017

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

whomupclicklike posted:

It's by Lubchansky
I didn't even look at the signature but the style made me think it was Bors. My mistake.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It seemed to me Horsey was taking swipes at the superficiality of a lot of the event-goers. I don't think he was being particularly critical of the event or of Millennials, though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Is there anyone who even holds up Bill Clinton as a moral paragon? The "best" I've ever seen was my dad whose whole thing was "he was better than the guy before him and he drat sure was better than the guy after him, who cares if he got blown in the Oval office?"

Like no one thinks Bill is someone you should emulate beyond his performance as president.
He was popular and remains popular despite decades of slander, and Republicans can't stand that because they can't understand why.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

D.N. Nation posted:

So, yeah, it goes without saying: no jeans. Why it's almost like Mike Lester is a wife-beating jerk who can't bother to educate himself on anything and instead relies on blaring on the dogwhistle until his cheeks are as puffy as his fat loving gut!
I think the cartoon is implying since he doesn't have to spend his own money on food, he can buy luxury items like expensive jeans.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ularg posted:

But they can just use their smartphones to look up funny pictures online, though. I've just never seen a kid ever look at a paper for almost any reason, even back before smartphones were a thing.
A lot of little kids don't have smartphones and they do enjoy reading the comics. Or at least looking at them for a minute. I think it's just a novelty for them. To them they are cartoons that don't move that they hold in their hands.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hey guys before you judge remember that Garrison made a search on the Internet about this.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I know there is a proud tradition of cartoonists not understanding the source material/messing up metaphors in this thread but wow.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Internet Webguy posted:

Typical Obama, always blaming Bush for- wait a minute...
Yes, the liberal media is always demanding Trump fix Obama's mess.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I thought the recent discussion of "Deep State," with regard to the US and probably a lot of other Western countries at least, was more a reference to resistance to extreme and sudden change due to the large size of government agencies and the people with long-term career positions within them. Basically bureaucratic inertia.

Also the sharing of information among those career-types on the Russia-Trump connections before the inauguration to ensure that stuff wouldn't just disappear.

Obviously, people like Garrison have latched onto this and given it a different meaning.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jurgan posted:

I assume what he meant, based on his comments about "location," was not "gently caress my constituents if they didn't vote for me," but rather "these are out-of-state protesters." Still a dumb argument.
A generous reading of the statement is that they are people that aren't from his district, not necessarily out of state. But if the event happened in Albemarle County as the video indicated, that's his district.

What I really think he meant is those were a bunch of liberals from the liberal side of the county that's in his district and they won't vote for him anyways so gently caress what they think.

Maybe he meant a lot of them were college students and don't actually vote there, but the "gently caress what they and anyone who does not vote for me think" part still stands.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Xenoveritas posted:

It does, and apparently the Senate is planning on just scrapping the House version and writing their own, but it's still going to happen.
And then the House has to vote on the Senate version, or they have to make a third version that reconciles both versions and that version has to be voted on by both houses.

It's a long way to go from this to a bill going to Trump's desk. Not impossible, but the fight isn't over.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

duz posted:

No matter the outcome, it doesn't mean it never happened and that Obama should never talk about it. It's overall a really weird way to make a comic about the bill.
From Mike Lester's perspective the ACA has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster and to him the House vote validates this so Obama will want to avoid talking about his big failure.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cat Mattress posted:

This one in particular is especially loathsome, because the author goes to the trouble of telling they have a good reason for coming, that it's a life or death issue for them, and still draws that.
That struck me too. I half expected them to be like "There's millions starving in China, so let's get to farming and send food over there!" But no, it was "Watch out! Here those vermin come!"

Not so different from today, really.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

You know this makes me wonder, when was the last time a place like Liberty University or whatever has invited, say, Bill Maher or someone like that to speak?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Liberty U. invited Bernie Sanders to speak in September 2015, gotta give credit it's due
I wouldn't classify Bernie Sanders as the left's version of Milo or Ann Coulter though, which is where these campus demonstrations come into play.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Orabilis posted:

It's the Eiffel Tower in a burqa.
I seriously didn't get that. That is the laziest cityscape I've ever seen drawn.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bicyclops posted:

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat, but that doesn't indicate which side of the establishment Republican/Trump divide he falls on.
He doesn't like Trump, but he hates liberals.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ziv Zulander posted:

Is drinking vanilla extract a step above or below drinking mouthwash?
Both are a step above hand sanitizer.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Branco will have an ugly Hillary saying "How dare he be so careless with classified information!" while behind her is a box marked "Private Server with Classified Information."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Remember when Obama had a meeting? That was crazy!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Man, Kal is good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jurgan posted:

What has definitely changed is that people see the government having a responsibility to provide health care. PPACA has created an expectation that everyone have health care, and the free market "if you can't afford it, tough poo poo" philosophy is dead. Yes, there are still some people who believe that, but no one campaigns on it. Paul Ryan would love to scrap all government involvement in health care, but he knows that's incredibly unpopular today, so they claim their plan will cover more people than the ACA. Then they have to defend it on its merits rather than just say "it's not the government's business." The conversation has shifted from "should we ensure that everyone has coverage" to "what's the best way to cover everyone?" There's no going back from that. Single-payer has a chance today because it's no longer about "free market vs. government regulation" but about "efficient vs. inefficient government regulation."
I used to believe this, but now I suspect that if poor people get thrown off health care and premiums and deductibles for people who already had health care pre-ACA go down some and/or people can choose plans that cover less so they can pay less, the political penalty for all this would be very short-lived, perhaps even nonexistent.

A large number of people (who vote) don't really care if everyone is covered. They care about how much they pay. A lot of them don't want to think that's the kind of person they are, but that's the truth. They will take the Republican spin that it will all work out somehow and "give it a chance" because it's what they want to believe.

The Republicans do not and will not have to argue "What's the best way to cover everyone." They will instead argue "What's the best way to help your personal bottom line?"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Sandpuppy posted:

What happens when a right winger ventures to a different channel where they just report the news.
I don't understand why Lester is so mad about this report.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

KillerQueen posted:

Did DDees do politoons before he went coocoo banaynays? I'd be interested in seeing that.

He did Sesame Street books. Seriously.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shangri-Law School posted:

One year after they inexplicably gave the prize to Michael Ramirez, the National Cartoonists Society has just given the Reuben Award to Ann Telnaes.
They also gave an award Ruben Bolling for Donald & John.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

There are many things I hate about Trump, but I will never forgive him for forcing me to support Kathy Griffin.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vib Rib posted:

Not that this is in any way a new trend (or even a partisan one) but man with all this poo poo going on in the world, domestically and abroad, every single loving day, this many cartoonists think the most pressing commentary is on a comedian making a joke they got offended by?
Like, out of everything, that's what needs attention. Not the state of international climate change agreements, or EU attitudes towards the US and UK.

That's so weird, I thought Trump was going to unite the nation!
Most of them need to do a comic every day. Something like this makes for an easy day. It's current, it's political related, and it's what people are talking about.

I won't say I've seen it here so far, but sometimes a few actually can come up with a clever one that's not just repeating the image of her holding the head but it's her head or showing Trump holding her head or whatever.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cloud Potato posted:

Evening Standard:

That "dementia tax" thing confused me so I looked it up. Dementia is now the number one cause of death in the UK? Holy poo poo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The really awful thing to think about to me is that he has never and will never experience any consequences for anything, ever. The worst thing that might happen is he might not get reelected, and then he goes home to his millions and makes even more money.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Funny there are no big mining interests. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ramos posted:

Get hosed, Republicans and especially Trump's administration love wrecking and shutting things down, not Democrats.
No no clearly it is the Democrats who destroyed that bridge by stubbornly refusing to do exactly what Republicans wanted all through the Obama administration.

• Locked thread