Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I got like six hundred bucks today, so I guess things are working for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I got my payment today. They drop you only after failing to verify twice, but I still have no idea whether I'll even get a text or an email again.

e: just tried calling again and they don't even let you get to the automated system. It just tells you to call back at a different time.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The law that did this is one of the last laws trump signed. It is the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 signed into law jan 5th, 2021. It had major pushback from the National Association of College and University Business Officers and other vets for certain provisions including this bullshit enrollment verification. It seems exactly like Rick Scott's changes to unemployment in Florida where the system was deliberately broken to force people off of the benefit.

Schools didn't oppose it for the burden it put on vets, though. They have to pay back the VA money if you fail a class or drop late in the semester.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I haven't even gotten my disability pay yet which is weird because it usually hits last day of the month. Even weirder is that I did get my survivor benefits from DoD, which usually lag a day behind VA.

Christ I hope my entire VA poo poo isn't broken.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just got the verification email lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah I got my payment today. They drop you only after failing to verify twice, but I still have no idea whether I'll even get a text or an email again.

e: just tried calling again and they don't even let you get to the automated system. It just tells you to call back at a different time.

You don't get dropped, your payments just get put on hold until you call in.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

McNally posted:

I haven't even gotten my disability pay yet which is weird because it usually hits last day of the month.

Same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got another text today to verify my enrollment

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

I had to call them back in November about a missing BAH payment and specifically asked about opting in to text message verification. They took my phone number and said I was good to go, and to keep an eye out for messages come January.

no January BAH and no text messages so far lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Got this message from the VA today on the GI BIll Facebook page:

quote:

There are some students who were auto-verified for this month. Please check your email to see if you received notification of being auto-verified. If you were auto-verified, you will not receive a verification text for January. If you have no notification of being auto-verified, you can expect to receive a text at some point today.

Being five hours ahead of the east coast is throwing me off a bit because part of me is convinced that it's too late in the day to get anything, even though it's not yet 3 PM there.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Well I think it's safe to say I'm not getting that text today.

Goddamned VA.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Welp, now I know why I never got my certification text.

The VA has no record of my school ever sending them my enrollment confirmation. Apparently my school must have fat-fingered my SSN.

Great system they have, where the only indication of something like this going wrong is "hey I haven't gotten paid yet."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Spoke with the certifying official at my school today and got a screenshot of my enrollment submission.

VA's full of poo poo, that's 100% my SSN on it.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I really wish there was something I could do to help McNally other than yell at my congresscritters to push through reforms, but somehow I just don’t see Hickenlooper doing much good.

Got my disability on Monday but just now got my books and BAH today. Even when something hasn’t gone wrong the VA still manages to mess things up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Internet Wizard posted:

Got my disability on Monday but just now got my books and BAH today. Even when something hasn’t gone wrong the VA still manages to mess things up.

My understanding is that books and BAH come from Treasury and they pay within 10 days of the 1st.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I called the GI Bill line the other day and they said 25 days to process a new GI Bill case right now, so I think you and I have another couple weeks to wait, McNally.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dorstein posted:

I called the GI Bill line the other day and they said 25 days to process a new GI Bill case right now, so I think you and I have another couple weeks to wait, McNally.

ffffffffffffffffffffff

I called them today and since I was able to give them a cert ID and facility code they said they'll track it down and process it, hopefully the special attention gets it done faster.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

McNally posted:

My understanding is that books and BAH come from Treasury and they pay within 10 days of the 1st.

I typically get the BAH on the same day but as a different transaction from my disability, so this was a few days later than I expected. I’m not especially surprised because the first payment of a semester usually shows up later than the rest, but it’s alarming when it happens.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Dorstein posted:

VA told me today that they've found my enrollment and sent it for processing, enrollment verifications take less than six days currently.

If I beat you despite having a two week handicap I'm going to laugh.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Wish the paid version of Adobe Acrobat wasn't so pricey, it's so useful for editing PDFs which is the file format for at least half of my programs documents. Got really used to using it in the Army and it's one of the few programs not offered for free through my school.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
They don't have it available in one of the open computer labs or library?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Most of that stuff you can chuck in to a Google Docs drive, edit, then export. Think it works for excel sheets too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Uh ok

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man I got more ptsd dealing with the VA for school than I ever did out of Iraq, sorry you guys are going through this too jesus

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm being proactive. I did my FAFSA for 22-23 and also applied for the STEM scholarship since i don't think my GI Bill will make it to the end of my degree. Now to do actual school work :/

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
According to the VA my GI Bill has been processed and ought to hit my account in the next few days. Hooray!

Still unsure of the rate they're using for my MAH, though. The number they quoted me doesn't match my figures. It's fifteen dollars (total) less than a ridiculously high rate I found at militarybenefits.info that I wasn't able to verify anywhere else. Eh, I'll take it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You should immediately spend all of the money because there is no way anyone accidentally overpaid you and will come back looking to collect the difference in the future.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hekk posted:

You should immediately spend all of the money because there is no way anyone accidentally overpaid you and will come back looking to collect the difference in the future.

:hmmyes:

I'm taking a certificate program (4 courses: 2 spring, 2 fall) that I'm paying out of pocket for. Holding on to the last 7 or so months of benefits if I decided not to do a PhD in a few years and go for a DSW instead

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

This is 100% fantastic advice that I will follow because no bad could possibly come of it!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

McNally posted:

According to the VA my GI Bill has been processed and ought to hit my account in the next few days. Hooray!

Still unsure of the rate they're using for my MAH, though. The number they quoted me doesn't match my figures. It's fifteen dollars (total) less than a ridiculously high rate I found at militarybenefits.info that I wasn't able to verify anywhere else. Eh, I'll take it.

It might be because you might not have been enrolled in class all of January, you only get a full months BAH if you're enrolled for the entirety of the month.

Glad you're finally getting your GI Bill benefits though!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

I'm being proactive. I did my FAFSA for 22-23 and also applied for the STEM scholarship since i don't think my GI Bill will make it to the end of my degree. Now to do actual school work :/

My understanding us that if you have 1 day left at the start of the semester the GI bill will cover all expenses and bah until the end of that semester. Not sure if that changed over the years.

Voc Rehab also pulls from a different set of entitlements and cam extend your bennies. Lasty Vet Tec will cover expenses for a tech degree

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

It might be because you might not have been enrolled in class all of January, you only get a full months BAH if you're enrolled for the entirety of the month.

Glad you're finally getting your GI Bill benefits though!

I factored that in. I got prorated amounts for September, December, and January. The number I came up with was only $15.07 more than what they're sending me so who the hell knows.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

My understanding us that if you have 1 day left at the start of the semester the GI bill will cover all expenses and bah until the end of that semester. Not sure if that changed over the years.

Voc Rehab also pulls from a different set of entitlements and cam extend your bennies. Lasty Vet Tec will cover expenses for a tech degree

Yeah I think I might have like 3 days left to do my final semester, which would extend out the rest of the time. But that involves having to pay out of pocket for this summer semester coming up. So if I can get the stem scholarship thing to extend it out (I don't know if this just gives me more days, or if it's just money) then I can also get the summer paid for. And to be clear, the scholarship thing is a GI Bill scholarship for people doing STEM programs because those can sometimes take more than four years depending on your course load. The degree plan for my school looked like it suggested taking 16 hours a semester for 4 years, no thanks.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I think I might have like 3 days left to do my final semester, which would extend out the rest of the time. But that involves having to pay out of pocket for this summer semester coming up. So if I can get the stem scholarship thing to extend it out (I don't know if this just gives me more days, or if it's just money) then I can also get the summer paid for. And to be clear, the scholarship thing is a GI Bill scholarship for people doing STEM programs because those can sometimes take more than four years depending on your course load. The degree plan for my school looked like it suggested taking 16 hours a semester for 4 years, no thanks.

Access to Voc Rehab, Vet Tec, and some other programs rely on you having atleast 1 day of GI bill eligibility remaining. If you haven't met with your school's veteran services coordinator to see if there is anything you can do you might see if any of your courses could be squeezed in under vet tec? Alternatively it might be worth it to try and get your rating increased to 20% so you get access to Voc Rehab.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Voc Rehab is it’s own separate program from the G.I. Bill, and your access to it based solely on disability rating and time left (they give you 48 months of eligibility) using Voc Rehab doesn’t chew up your G.I. Bill benefits anymore.

If you signed up and enlisted with a CLRP (College loan repayment program) and you only do 4 years, your not eligible for the G.I. Bill, but you can still use Voc Rehab if you have a disability rating. That’s just one example of G.I. Bill eligibility having nothing to do with Voc Rehab.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 18, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Kaching! Money showed up as pending in my bank account this morning!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Think this would be the most appropriate thread but for everyone who still has access to a .mil email (mil, gov or ctr) all Microsoft certification vouchers are free until the end of June. All you have to do is link your .mil email which just involves getting a verification code. No limit on the number of free vouchers you can get but I’m not sure if you can get multiple for the same exam.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Looks like online class BAH exemption is going back to pre-Covid policy 1 June, which sucks because all of the classes I need to take in June are online only. Waiting to hear back from the student vet office about if the June term actually starting on 31 May means that the online classes get me full BAH through June, or if I’ll get full BAH for 31 May and then get online BAH from 1 June-on.

Would be cool if the VA’s FAQ page about this change answered any of that.

Edit: got a response from the school and apparently the change applies to how the school is classifying the entire campus, so I’m just not going to be able to afford to take classes for a good chunk of the summer. Really cool of them to decide that the school is in-person without actually offering in-person classes

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.