Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

I got a bachelors degree in computer science at 39. You値l be fine. Are you planning on using your GI Bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

I will say if you anticipate getting any disability rating get on Voc Rehab when you get out. Don't do the "wait until I exhaust my GI Bill" that some people seem to think is the best, if you are rated get on Voc Rehab. It's a better system and if you need stuff for school they will get it for you. I still have my laptop and printer from school but I also got like $75 for supplies at the student store every semester. The downside is you have to work with a counselor but they are just there to make sure you make good choices regarding your degree. If you are having issues at school it is their job to fix it. I was told if I have a toothache that is interfering with my studies they will pay for the dental visit. Obviously check with them and YMMV.

My background, I graduated college at 37 with a bachelors in mechanical engineering in December of 2020. Former Army 11B for 6 years before that. Now I work for the Army again in NJ at Picatinny Arsenal where I am a maintenance engineer for some direct fire munitions. I can talk about that whole process if you like, I got the job and interview from USAJobs. The system sucks but if anyone's interested I can say what I did to get through. And I actually didn't lie to try to "beat" the system, despite what a lot of people were telling me.

If I can ask a question and feel free to ignore it because I don't mean to pry, it's just I have seen a lot of retirees use their GI Bill and I honestly don't understand why. You have a guaranteed paycheck the rest of your life right? With years of experience that you could hopefully do something related on the civilian side. And if you have kids you can pass on the GI Bill which could be useful since let's face it you need a degree for a decent job these days. College ain't cheap. Obviously if you don't have kids or can't pass on the benefit then go hog wild. Just something to think about.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

antimatt posted:

I guess main starter questions:

1. Any dependents that you'd pass the GI Bill onto?
2. Do you have severe enough disabilities that you'd expect a 30%+ more disability rating?
3. What do you see yourself doing? What do you want to do? Is it in your career field from the service, or do you want to do something new?
4. Are you planning to work full-time while in school, or can you afford to commit to school totally by itself?

Basic advice is get your certificate of eligibility, ask tons of questions, realize that some very helpful people will inevitably give you some bad and wrong advice sprinkled in with good advice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you didn't transfer 1 month to anyone at least four years ago, it's not happening ever.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

antimatt posted:

I guess the first question is: what are your goals? Do you know what kind of degree you want? Are you shooting for a certain kind of job?

Hooking up with the local veteran's office at the institutions you're interested in is probably a good start.

Edit: Vocational Rehabilitation before GI Bill is a big one now, since it comes from a different pot of eligibility. GI Bill burns voc rehab time but not the other way around, so definitely do voc rehab first if you can.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Cojawfee posted:

If you didn't transfer 1 month to anyone at least four years ago, it's not happening ever.

That's what I wasn't sure of. Sounded like instead of just getting rid of the ability they just made it more difficult and easier to miss.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In order to transfer GI Bill benefits, you have to serve at least 10 years, and you have to serve another four years after you initiate that you want to transfer your benefits. So I think the minimum is that you have to do six years, and then do whatever it is to indicate that you want to transfer a month of your GI Bill, and then reenlist for another four years. But once you've transferred one month to someone, you can then do whatever transfers you want I think. At least that's how it was when I did TAP or whatever and everyone getting out had their dreams crushed when they couldn't transfer their GI Bill to their wife or children. I think they set it up that way just to make sure you could only do it if you looked up how because I don't think anyone ever said anything to me about it until I got to that class.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
It's incredible how difficult they made it and it was never explained to us while I was in.

After serving six years (but no more than 16), you have a thirty day window after reenlisting for four more years to submit a Transfer of Education Benefits and you'll be given an Obligation End Date of four years out. For a TEB, you need a dependent (either a child or spouse) listed in DEERS capable of accepting the benefits. As long as that person has at least one month of benefits the initial TEB and OED is in effect and if you have additional dependents during that four years you can add them with no change to your obligation however once you are separated you can no longer add somebody. You can adjust the number of months a person already added has even after you separate.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Holy poo poo I had no idea they made it so ridiculous.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
I知 a 100% P&T vet, apparently that entitles my wife and kids for Chapter 35 benefits. 36 months of them.

My question: How much does Chapter 35 pay? And is that 36 month eligibility bucket per dependent or for all dependents?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I知 a 100% P&T vet, apparently that entitles my wife and kids for Chapter 35 benefits. 36 months of them.

My question: How much does Chapter 35 pay? And is that 36 month eligibility bucket per dependent or for all dependents?

Hey I just had the same conversation with the VA rep.

Chapter 35 will pay out like 36 months of Post 9/11 G.I. Bill including the BAH and book stipend. It's one 36 month bucket and not per dependent.

Edit - I should also mention that your spouse has a 10 year window that starts when you received your P&T rating to use the benefits. I am unclear on whether that's the window to start the benefits or if they all need to be used within that time frame.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 6, 2022

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

antimatt posted:

Eh, I made this move at 35 and it's totally cool. You'll actually make some friends if you dont show up to class decked out in operator clothing or start every response with "as a xxxx veteran, I feel..". Going back to school is awesome and a lot your younger classmates will look to you for insight.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah let me mention that Adult Student Syndrome is real and you don't wanna be that guy.

Occasionally you're forced to be (my low point was chewing out a group project teammate in pajama pants for his 8 AM Intro to Management class and pointing to the four Chinese kids that had been there for 30 minutes already studying "that's your competition, you think you're getting hired over them?"). But try not to make it every day.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 14, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Do: Find a bar that the locals hang out at.

Don't: Try to ingratiate yourself to a bunch of 21 year olds.

You will probably have to carry the water on a bunch of group projects. Every professor will know exactly who you are and give you poo poo every time you skip class. You will also be on a first name basis with said professors and they will write you any reference you need without a second's hesitation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Don't psych yourself out about the difficulty. I hear it's different for grad school level stuff but after the grind of active duty Army I found a bachelor's to be pretty chill. You've got to do the work and force yourself to complete the tasks, and some classes will suck (looking at you calc 1. SMDFTB) but on the whole it's stuff set up for 19-ish year olds to be able to get through.

Put in some actual effort and you quickly end up being noticed by the professors. That's actually a good thing in this context.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Also make friends with a few grad students so you can know about all the free food events around campus. :eng101:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would absolutely recommend looking into the rankings of the degree programs you're interested in and try to get into a decent one. The resources provided to help you along the way can be immense in higher ranked programs and practically non-existent in low to non-ranked programs. Networking is also much stronger in higher ranked programs which vastly increases your odds of finding a good job once you graduate.

Veterans are looked on favorably by admissions boards and a program you think you might not be eligible for could actually be entirely obtainable. The worst they can say is "no" so you may as well apply anyway.

I had a 2.7 undergrad GPA and a merely average quantitative test score yet I still got accepted into a highly ranked grad school program.

100% GI bill will cover your tuition for any public university, will also need something else like the yellow ribbon program to cover the costs of a private school.

Seriously, if you want to get the most out of your GI Bill then try to get into the best program you can for your chosen field.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Noone cares where you went to undergrad. Make sure its ABET accredited and make friends while you are there.

e: The class stuff would be the easiest part of it. You could go into Aeronautical Engineering and still be in the 90th percentile. If you want to do it, go do it.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mustang posted:

I would absolutely recommend looking into the rankings of the degree programs you're interested in and try to get into a decent one. The resources provided to help you along the way can be immense in higher ranked programs and practically non-existent in low to non-ranked programs. Networking is also much stronger in higher ranked programs which vastly increases your odds of finding a good job once you graduate.

Veterans are looked on favorably by admissions boards and a program you think you might not be eligible for could actually be entirely obtainable. The worst they can say is "no" so you may as well apply anyway.

I had a 2.7 undergrad GPA and a merely average quantitative test score yet I still got accepted into a highly ranked grad school program.

100% GI bill will cover your tuition for any public university, will also need something else like the yellow ribbon program to cover the costs of a private school.

Seriously, if you want to get the most out of your GI Bill then try to get into the best program you can for your chosen field.

I'm not going to lie, the 4 months I spent at Everett Community College in Snohomish County (WA) were among the most valuable learning experiences of my life. I'm not advocating for people to go to Phoenix or whatever, but I am way checked out on people needing to go to D1 schools because they are on top of the US News and World Report lists.

The Aardvark posted:

Also make friends with a few grad students so you can know about all the free food events around campus. :eng101:

This seems logical, in theory. From experience.....don't do this. As soon as you say you are an undergrad, things go downhill very fast.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 7, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I got my AA from a community college before finishing my BA at a public university. Unranked program, if I hadn't been accepted into an OCS contract I would have been stuck barely making more than poverty wages in Florida.

I think community colleges are great when you're still figuring out what you want to do but the networks and resources available to students in higher ranked programs are what sets them apart, I doubt the course material is much different.

You can look at the average starting salaries and employment prospects of particular programs and there is definitely a difference.

The GI Bill can be used at the worst school or one of the best, so why not get the most of it? If I had gone to a similar program in Oregon their average salary is almost half of what I can expect here in Seattle.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I tell every veteran I meet to apply to their dream school(s) regardless of how competitive they perceive themselves. I got into my first-choice school with a 29 ACT, a 1.8 high school GPA, and no college credits. If I had listened purely to the stats, I wouldn't have been even close to competitive - my pre major admission's averages are a 3.83 GPA high school, 30-32 ACT, and are transferring in AP credits. I wrote a nice essay about having been in the military and maturing and all that, and got in with my first application.

I'm graduating on Sunday and it's pretty exciting. In my opinion for choosing a school #1 look at the program, find out if it's modern or lagging behind in any way. Look at the university's reddit and see what people are saying about it. Then from a pool of those schools with good programs, find one that has a campus and culture that you think you'd like to spend your time at and around, or at the very least one that you can tolerate. Consider its location in relation to the industry, and what is immediately around it for internship opportunities - which are huge for some majors/programs. Most of my friends that did an internship got a job offer with their company, so it can really serve as a foot in the door into a new industry.

You'll get over the old-person syndrome pretty fast. It's nice to have some perspective in life because things will be stressful, but it's totally manageable and nothing compared to real problems in life. A school in a larger city would also help with this, giving you the opportunity to get away from campus life and be around real adults.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mustang posted:

I got my AA from a community college before finishing my BA at a public university. Unranked program, if I hadn't been accepted into an OCS contract I would have been stuck barely making more than poverty wages in Florida.

I think community colleges are great when you're still figuring out what you want to do but the networks and resources available to students in higher ranked programs are what sets them apart, I doubt the course material is much different.

You can look at the average starting salaries and employment prospects of particular programs and there is definitely a difference.

The GI Bill can be used at the worst school or one of the best, so why not get the most of it? If I had gone to a similar program in Oregon their average salary is almost half of what I can expect here in Seattle.

I cannot express how much I don't agree with this without eating a probation.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Junior colleges will let you use the GI Bill to do whatever while the local universities needed me to enroll in a degree program. Already having degrees and only going to bang out prereqs for applying to med school JC was loving perfect

Junior college is tight

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not really sure why, most of us are presumably using our GI Bill for career purposes. The cost of nearly every aspect of living in this country is on the rise.

I had a poo poo GPA and an unimpressive test score yet still managed to get into a highly competitive program. Being a veteran gives us a huge leg up over our civilian peers during admissions, I never would have gotten into this program if I hadn't been in the Army.

I really don't know what could be so debateable about higher ranked programs having better outcomes for their graduates or for suggesting veterans apply for programs they would otherwise not think they're qualified for.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ladder climbing in undergrad is a sucker's game unless you are trying to get into a T1 law school, in which case you've already failed.

"I want to sign up for a lecture with 400 other people!" - An ignorant child

Mustang posted:

Not really sure why, most of us are presumably using our GI Bill for career purposes. The cost of nearly every aspect of living in this country is on the rise.

I had a poo poo GPA and an unimpressive test score yet still managed to get into a highly competitive program. Being a veteran gives us a huge leg up over our civilian peers during admissions, I never would have gotten into this program if I hadn't been in the Army.

I really don't know what could be so debateable about higher ranked programs having better outcomes for their graduates or for suggesting veterans apply for programs they would otherwise not think they're qualified for.

Its Sabermetrics. We are statistical outliers in almost every category.

e: As a thought exercise, say 8 years ago I graduate with a BS from MIT. Or say I graduate with a BS from Miami of Ohio. How different are my outcomes if I still settled in the same area (assuming I didn't sign up with a three letter agency). Guessing its pretty much the same. I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying it doesn't really matter if you know your general trajectory.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 7, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Use your GI bill however you want - they're your benefits.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I finally have access to the online tool that tells me how much time I have left on my GI bill and it lists my birthday as the day before the real day. I have no idea how this is wrong because it's fine on my profile. I'm a little worried it could cause an issue with verification

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I値l just add that Covid has changed a lot of things about college, some better some worse. For example you might have to take your tests on your computer in a perfectly silent room and while your webcam watches to see if you take your eyes off your screen or start crying (this gets flagged as cheating as has to be reviewed).

You might also find that your professors are very laid back with deadlines and are willing to give you a lot of flexibility with stuff or even waive smaller assignments.

Definitely talk to your professors, either after class real quick or during their office hours. Emailing with them is also great.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I had to take Stat 500 exams online like that. It was so disconcerting that I will never do so again.

bird food bathtub posted:

and some classes will suck (looking at you calc 1. SMDFTB)

Just wanted to echo. gently caress calc so much. I have taken Diff Eq's 5 times throughout the years.

Internet Wizard posted:

I値l just add that Covid has changed a lot of things about college, some better some worse. For example you might have to take your tests on your computer in a perfectly silent room and while your webcam watches to see if you take your eyes off your screen or start crying (this gets flagged as cheating as has to be reviewed).

You might also find that your professors are very laid back with deadlines and are willing to give you a lot of flexibility with stuff or even waive smaller assignments.

Definitely talk to your professors, either after class real quick or during their office hours. Emailing with them is also great.

My thesis advisor actually told me that I'd be better off if I had just gone to his office hours. I replied that I just liked to turn things over in my head and try to figure things out. Come up with dumb reasons for going to see your professors during office hours.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's been 12-14 years since I took my three calculus classes. I took linear algebra last summer. I got rekt by phd level economics courses because of the calculus required. Those skills rust, friends.

This is a reminder to everyone, even those of you that already have bachelor degrees - if you have GI bill or Voc Rehab eligibility available - use them. They're amazing. Also apply for every scholarship and fellowship you come across. You'll not get many of them - but you will get some. It is very possible to go to grad school and get paid well.

I'm currently bringing in close to $5k/mo on average as a full time student where my only job is to go to class and help undergrads with homework for 10 hours a week. If you're in Florida and have any disability rating, you are legally a minority and every university will love to add you to their roster.

I say all of this because I know how much it sucks to work a miserable job you don't like. I was a lawyer, after all (don't go to law school). There is probably a way for each and every vetgoon to get paid fat well enough to go to school that you can leave your current job and just go to school.

I also just had a full week off and in a month and a half I have almost two months off.

e: ALSO re: office hours - yes you should absolutely go. While I also like to beat my head against things and figure them out myself, the TAs and profs that have those hours are often just sitting there doing other work and would love to talk to you. When you go to them, you will get better grades and more doors will open for you. You absolutely want your profs to remember you for a good reason.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Your timing is impecabble. *heart hands*

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Also if you're a vetgoon you're older so talking to professors and TAs is just a chance to speak to people your own age while you're at school. I found that useful after talking to my younger classmates and learning about the tiks toks dance

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm not going to lie, the 4 months I spent at Everett Community College in Snohomish County (WA) were among the most valuable learning experiences of my life.

Everett is low-key a really good school.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Wow, sorry. I kinda just shitposted not expecting this kind of response but I'll try my best. Thank you all. A lot.

Hekk posted:

I got a bachelors degree in computer science at 39. You値l be fine. Are you planning on using your GI Bill?
Yes, planning on using GI Bill, also considering the same major.

Wrong Theory posted:

I will say if you anticipate getting any disability rating get on Voc Rehab when you get out. Don't do the "wait until I exhaust my GI Bill" that some people seem to think is the best, if you are rated get on Voc Rehab. It's a better system and if you need stuff for school they will get it for you.

If I can ask a question and feel free to ignore it because I don't mean to pry, it's just I have seen a lot of retirees use their GI Bill and I honestly don't understand why. You have a guaranteed paycheck the rest of your life right? With years of experience that you could hopefully do something related on the civilian side. And if you have kids you can pass on the GI Bill which could be useful since let's face it you need a degree for a decent job these days. College ain't cheap. Obviously if you don't have kids or can't pass on the benefit then go hog wild.
I appreciate your response and apologize for cutting it up a bit for brevity but I'm single with no kids. And my AFSC is basically nonexistent in the civilian side. I plan on using the GI Bill benefits and moving on. Your Voc Rehab info is good stuff.

GD_American posted:

I guess main starter questions:

1. Any dependents that you'd pass the GI Bill onto?
2. Do you have severe enough disabilities that you'd expect a 30%+ more disability rating?
3. What do you see yourself doing? What do you want to do? Is it in your career field from the service, or do you want to do something new?
4. Are you planning to work full-time while in school, or can you afford to commit to school totally by itself?

Basic advice is get your certificate of eligibility, ask tons of questions, realize that some very helpful people will inevitably give you some bad and wrong advice sprinkled in with good advice.
1. No.
2. I'll be honestly surprised if it's below 70%.
3. Nothing associated with my career field. Computer science maybe, have some other ideas. Journalism, architecture, anything other than management.
4. Can commit to school. I won't have much else to do.

Dorstein posted:

I guess the first question is: what are your goals? Do you know what kind of degree you want? Are you shooting for a certain kind of job?

Hooking up with the local veteran's office at the institutions you're interested in is probably a good start.

Edit: Vocational Rehabilitation before GI Bill is a big one now, since it comes from a different pot of eligibility. GI Bill burns voc rehab time but not the other way around, so definitely do voc rehab first if you can.
No solid goals. Good point about the veteran's office, and between your comments and Wrong Theory I'm still pretty sure I'll be using GI Bill but voc rehab is something to consider.

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Eh, I made this move at 35 and it's totally cool. You'll actually make some friends if you dont show up to class decked out in operator clothing or start every response with "as a xxxx veteran, I feel..". Going back to school is awesome and a lot your younger classmates will look to you for insight.

Mustang posted:

Again, sorry to cut and chop stuff up but... brevity. That kinda sums up my biggest concerns and is rather reassuring. I've got some poo poo early grades and mostly CLEP'd my way to my CCAF.

Change is scary and I feel lost.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Don't you EVER apologize for shitposting EVER

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's been 12-14 years since I took my three calculus classes. I took linear algebra last summer. I got rekt by phd level economics courses because of the calculus required. Those skills rust, friends.

After I got out, I had to jump back in to Junior year with Multivariable calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2. That first month was hell. I think I spent 8 hours a day just getting caught up.

Dorstein posted:

Everett is low-key a really good school.

I've got enough lovely things to say about PSU to fill a book, but I'll never give EVCC so much as a side-eye.

E: If I had one bad thing to say about going back to school in your 30s: Homework loving sucks and it should be banned with the consequence of death by firing squad.

E2: Speaking of, some idiot defaced two of the least lovely parts of that town last night and I am incredibly pissed.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I flunked out of college so bad at age 20 that when I applied at age 38, I was told to go to CC and get my GPA up. I ended up enjoying the hell out of it (even if I can't watch Community anymore because the janky echoes hit too close to home), and I got to slap this bumper sticker on my dad's truck

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Community college had too many people there who were just killing time till their parents kicked them out. I found it kind of hard to maintain a good attitude when so many other students really didn稚 care. Plus I had untreated depression at the time.

I was pretty happy at real college. Of course I had an associates so almost all my classes were upper division. A lot of the dumbs had already flunked out by that point. My worst, most stressful group project was in an upper division class. Ended up with a lovely team that made me more miserable than any group project in high school, CC, and real college combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't mind a team project as long as at least one other person is willing to put in any effort. Even then it's frustrating. I had a group project in community college where I did pretty much all the work except for one guy who helped out a bit. The two other people were pretty much useless. That one was miserable. Another project at my university wasn't as bad, it was me and two other people, the one guy and I did most of the work and the third guy didn't even contact us until like 5 days after first project assignment was due.