Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
what a weird thing to lie about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

psydude posted:

But an underdeveloped mathematics program, apparently.

Gawd drat

:vince:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If anyone is interested, Georgia Tech is doing an online masters of science in computer science. it's the same degree as the normal ms in cs, but it's only like $1000 a semester. Im in my second semester if anyone has questions about it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Not a lie, just didn't check. Someone said 45k a semester so I just went with it.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

If anyone is interested, Georgia Tech is doing an online masters of science in computer science. it's the same degree as the normal ms in cs, but it's only like $1000 a semester. Im in my second semester if anyone has questions about it.

Is your undergrad in CS too? I'm not a veteran, but I was thinking of doing that Mas and my background is not CD. How do you like it?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Guacamayo posted:

Is your undergrad in CS too? I'm not a veteran, but I was thinking of doing that Mas and my background is not CD. How do you like it?

my undergrad is in art actually. I got a masters in technology studies from Eastern Michigan, but wanted a real CS degree.

So far I really like the classes. They aren't easy, but you can learn a ton from them, and it's really affordable. if you go the Montgomery GI bill option you end up pocketing money back.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

my undergrad is in art actually. I got a masters in technology studies from Eastern Michigan, but wanted a real CS degree.

So far I really like the classes. They aren't easy, but you can learn a ton from them, and it's really affordable. if you go the Montgomery GI bill option you end up pocketing money back.

Are you working at the same time? I'm graduating this semester with a BS in CE and this seems like it would be a good thing to do while employed.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, I'm still enlisted until july, then I start my real job. The program is specifically targeted towards industry professionals who want to get a masters degree, but can't stop their careers to do it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
This semester I'm signed up for a class on Graphic Novels. The professor is the former president of DC comics. College is loving great.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Deathy McDeath posted:

This semester I'm signed up for a class on Graphic Novels. The professor is the former president of DC comics. College is loving great.

I took a class like that years ago because it sounded really cool. Read From Hell, Epileptic (weird loving book, but cool), one that was about fighting in the West Bank by a photojournalist, and this one about a Japanese doctor trying to cure people that turn into dogs. It was a pretty cool class.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Deathy McDeath posted:

That's really cool

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ask him how long he thinks New 52 will last before another reboot

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ask him how long he thinks New 52 will last before another reboot

You know they already rebooted it, right? That happened last year, in fact.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Pesticide20 posted:

You know they already rebooted it, right? That happened last year, in fact.

:laffo:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Deathy McDeath posted:

Ask him why they keep making lovely movies.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Comparing textbook prices with my roommate, India gets their books for cheap (i.e. reasonable prices) compared to the insanity that is the U.S. market for textbooks. For one book I selected, it would run you about $225 from Amazon.com, but the same one from Amazon.in is about ₹1100, or $16 USD. Amazon.in won't ship that to US addresses, for obvious reasons, but why not just have it sent to a mail forwarding service in India? Even with expedited shipping, that'd still be far cheaper.

The especially funny thing is that even buying it from Amazon.in, it would still ship from a store in the US. :wtc:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

School has now tweeted a couple of alerts about women being attacked and forcibly fondled tonight by what sounds like the same guy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

School has now tweeted a couple of alerts about women being attacked and forcibly fondled tonight by what sounds like the same guy.

I didn't know you went to school in DC

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

I didn't know you went to school in DC
Knowing the local College Republicans I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was out celebrating by trying to emulate their idol.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Comparing textbook prices with my roommate, India gets their books for cheap (i.e. reasonable prices) compared to the insanity that is the U.S. market for textbooks. For one book I selected, it would run you about $225 from Amazon.com, but the same one from Amazon.in is about ₹1100, or $16 USD. Amazon.in won't ship that to US addresses, for obvious reasons, but why not just have it sent to a mail forwarding service in India? Even with expedited shipping, that'd still be far cheaper.

The especially funny thing is that even buying it from Amazon.in, it would still ship from a store in the US. :wtc:

Book reselling is a pretty major operation on Amazon regardless, I've bought NO RESALE OUTSIDE OF INDIAN SUBCONTINENT books for peanuts from US vendors. It's the same book but in grayscale and paperback, you just gotta look. Unfortunately sometimes the books will be like in SI units only and slightly different.

It's pretty loving shameless, they know full well that dumb ignorant Yankees will lament their $300 books but poor Indians still need books too so we'll just sell the same thing for vastly different prices.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Reminds me of this from a couple years ago, the bicycle booty bandit:
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/FIU-Butt-Grabber-Strikes-Again-Police-309101181.html

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Hardcopy textbooks are pointless and offer little benifit compared to digital versions. Though in the future we'll probably just licence the texts via a proprietary service.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I had a professor this term tell us verbatim to just pirate the book. He didn't tell us where, but it was pretty refreshing to have someone that gets it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My first class, my first semester here: There's no book in here, I'll just assign articles you can obtain from library databases. Also, I don't really want to be here at 8am either so if everyone works really hard we'll only meet once a week.

High expectations that will never be matched ever again.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Some book companies have been getting wise to the book shuffling and now they're doing their damndest to make "integrated learning environments" a part of every class possible, which is where you get the book but then can only access the questions and stuff online, with their code. Such a god drat racket.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
"The DLC codes included with purchase!" of learning

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only time I got that was for a German class. The teacher dropped it halfway through the semester. Shame too because it was really easy point. Repeat the exercise until you get full points, she has no idea how many times you did it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
My math class is just using the back half of the book I bought last semester, so nothing spent there. My writing class just needs a $20 MLA guidebook, and my earth science teacher is making slides he'll post online instead of using the book.

Casimir Radon posted:

The only time I got that was for a German class. The teacher dropped it halfway through the semester. Shame too because it was really easy point. Repeat the exercise until you get full points, she has no idea how many times you did it.

My math teacher last semester didn't even require the online assignments to be 100% correct, just get a reasonable amount done each segment and you got 100% for the chapter.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 20, 2017

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Grem posted:

Please tell me more about chill jobs with a history degree in Colorado....

Colorado is a jackpot location so you'll need some luck, but Denver has the second largest concentration of fed agencies outside of DC so check usajobs every couple days and you'll find something eventually. For history poo poo use archives, museum, and historian as your search terms.

A lot of what you'll see for museum stuff is temporary work with the park service and the vast majority of history related archives jobs are in DC/College Park, but there is good permanent stuff in better locations if you keep looking. Any archives job that mentions federal records center is something you don't want, that's the warehouse side of the agency that is lower paying and full of disgruntled people. The naval history command was/is hiring a ton of entry level museum and historian positions, but the jobs are in Richmond or DC.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My professors will generally give you the textbook if they have an extra copy. You just gotta return it at the end of the semester.

They don't tell you this outright. It's one of those unspoken things. One thing college has taught me about the real world that the military lacks completely is that you can actually get places if you just ask questions.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Depending on your circumstances you might also be able to get your schools Adaptive Technology (or whatever they call it) office to scan your textbooks. My school required you to be on Voc Rehab and/or have a letter from the Disability Resource Center with a relevant disability, which was a really really broad requirement. You would tell them your classes, they would go get the books, break the spines, scan the whole thing w/ OCR, then email you the scans.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Nine times out of ten n-1 edition of your textbook is just as good and is easily half the price.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Nine times out of ten n-1 edition of your textbook is just as good and is easily half the price.

All you have to do then is either google the differences or make an agreement for someone who has the latest edition to let you copy the parts you need.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I used this strategy to get cheap Structural Analysis stuff to relearn the engineering curriculum while I was in. A lot of the times they just rearrange the problems.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
One of the best things about my undergrad was this professor who would disappear into central Asia on summer breaks and pop back up with bonkers stories, souvenirs, and the occasional new Turkish wife.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One of the best things about my undergrad was this professor who would disappear into central Asia on summer breaks and pop back up with bonkers stories, souvenirs, and the occasional new Turkish wife.
Sounds awesome except for the last part.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
School goons, I got stationed shore side for the first time. What are some good online colleges wete I can start working tooward a mechanical engineering degree? Never done College before so all this poo poo is new and slightly terrifying.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
University of Phoenix

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Melthir posted:

School goons, I got stationed shore side for the first time. What are some good online colleges wete I can start working tooward a mechanical engineering degree? Never done College before so all this poo poo is new and slightly terrifying.

use your local community college if you can - they'll almost certainly have online classes as well

doing that is how I got into a real college after the military

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
A&P texts are seriously cutting into my binge drinking budget this semester. Well more chicken and rice and nutella budget now, but still.