Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your bachelors degree doesn't say "Not real, spent 2 years at a community college, fake news"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The problem with community college is that a whole bunch of your classmates are bound to be unmotivated dickheads treading water until their parents kick them out of the house. Even if you don't have to do group work with them it starts to wear on you.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Casimir Radon posted:

The problem with community college is that a whole bunch of your classmates are bound to be unmotivated dickheads treading water until their parents kick them out of the house. Even if you don't have to do group work with them it starts to wear on you.

Just like every other school.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, same as every other school, except it's more laid back and better.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I guess kids at a university will drop faster once their parents cut them off and all that, but in regards to the JC, I think that’s mostly the lower level classes at any rate

Y’all love group projects right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Just like every other school.
It was better in real college. Though some of that was probably because I only really had upper division classes so a lot of the idiots had weeded themselves out by that point.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Anyone ever been called a “bitch” by the VA and told they needed to be “straightened out” because that just happened to me after they tried to tell me that I DID get paid for November (I did not they sent my check to the wrong address) and that this wasn’t an issue anymore before hanging up. They did tell me to have a happy holidays though so it’s all good.

When I called back the next person I got was super confused because it’s very clear I did not get paid but he at least gave me a # to the treasury and it turns out my check trace went through and the check was cancelled and now I’m just waiting for some nebulous “finance” department to sent the correct info to the treasury to reissue a a check (direct deposit this time).

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The few issues I've had like that have been on the medical side of the VA with the retired gunnies/chiefs treating everyone like we're all still in the hellworld of rank.

Re: CC chat

A 25 person Ochem 2 class was much better than the 200 person Ochem 2 class I was forced to retake. It was easier to ask for help or shoot the poo poo with the prof than dealing with all the premed people grubbing for their A at office hours than caring about the science.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

The few issues I've had like that have been on the medical side of the VA with the retired gunnies/chiefs treating everyone like we're all still in the hellworld of rank.

lol oh man anyone got any stories? I’ve never seen this firsthand, but don’t deny it happens

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Your bachelors degree doesn't say "Not real, spent 2 years at a community college, fake news"

Yeah, but getting out into the world and hopefully being at a decent school in an interesting place at 18 vs. staying in your parent's basement at CC. The social aspect of being a traditional student is kind of lost at CC. When you're an old like us, it doesn't matter. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean, I’ll buy that to extent, but I think it generalizes and gives a disservice to those who really want to succeed and move forward in life. Maybe they have poo poo HS grades, but that’s their time to shine and go for a good university/scholarships. Trust me, if University was more accessible then I’d say yeah, go there outright.

If you’re just really good at sports and want to destroy your brain for entertainment then that’s a whole other topic

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Well yeah, I'm saying in a perfect world where you're a good student and have the means to go straight to university. There's a reason why we're all late 20s-30s people finishing school now. :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I absolutely would have failed out at 18 for missing class and partying

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hosed up a few times in community college due to undiagnosed Depression, and at least it was less expensive that way.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ok, I got a C in that fluid class. Christmas miracle in my book.
I am still on my way to graduating. But more importantly, I think I learned my lesson. Never study science or anything else at college. I know better now than to ever go to college again lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You say that now, then six months later you're just taking a few credit hours to take the edge off, then you're up to six, and then you're doing a full course load because it's the only way to feel normal.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I sort of want to continue on and get a Masters in Urban Planning or GIS but as of now I'm so burnt out on school there's no way in hell I'm doing it until after I've been working for a few years. Even then I'd probably do it as part time as possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I might use my Hazelwood act to get my masters. It's based on credit hours, so hopefully I can just do a class at a time or whatever

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah same, there's a Wisconsin GI Bill that I have 60 or so credits left on, good for any level of education at any state university. I also have a handful of months (8 off the top of my head) of 60% Post 9/11 remaining that I'd have to use with the WI GI Bill unless I can find something else to use it on first.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah same, there's a Wisconsin GI Bill that I have 60 or so credits left on, good for any level of education at any state university. I also have a handful of months (8 off the top of my head) of 60% Post 9/11 remaining that I'd have to use with the WI GI Bill unless I can find something else to use it on first.

Leftover hours from my BS is the only reason that im working on my MSCE.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Argumentation: B-
Gender Studies: B
Interviewing: A-

gently caress it, I'm calling that a win. Jesus that was a tough semester, I've never met such a bunch of formatting happy assholes in my life.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Gender studies was actually a good course imo. I think it helped me really understand a bit more of the other side of the coin and not just my own.

Edit also why didnt you get argue your argumentation grade?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Using your GI Bill to go to school outside of the US is the way to go.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Using your GI Bill to go to school outside of the US is the way to go.

That's what a buddy of mine did and I wish I knew a foreign language well enough to have done that years ago.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's what a buddy of mine did and I wish I knew a foreign language well enough to have done that years ago.

There are plenty of English speaking countries my dude. I'm using mine in Canada.

On the other hand, my sister went to school in Madrid for 3rd years and didn't even bother trying to learn Spanish until her second year there.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Leftover hours from my BS is the only reason that im working on my MSCE.

Wait a second, they pay for certs too?

Edit: oh hell ya they do.

Lets Get Patchy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 23, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If they speak English, is it really an exotic experience?

But nah I was always a bit jealous of the dudes that somehow managed to go study in some cool Western Europe capital

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I gave some serious thought to studying in Australia, and they only barely speak English.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

But nah I was always a bit jealous of the dudes that somehow managed to go study in some cool Western Europe capital

I got the VA to pay for me to spend summer 2017 living in Berlin taking a German immersion class. A+ would do again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That's like in Arrested Development where George Michael goes to Mexico and goes to Wetzel's Pretzels and sees Minions in English.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

McNally posted:

Me too, buddy. Me too.

Edit: I got an A on a paper I wrote with a concussion. My second attempt at college is basically an achievement run.

Same. Drank the drat state dry and finished with a 3.96 GPA

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Wait a second, they pay for certs too?

Edit: oh hell ya they do.

Well they do, although in this instance I was referring to MS Civil Engineering.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Fuuuuuck.

One of my finals just posted and we got completely savaged, brought my semester grade from 82.1% to 69.85% which is a C- in this course. At that rate it might not count for graduation requirements, the mean score on the final for the /class/ is 54.3% which is insanely low. I'm baffled as what to do now because this would literally offset me from graduating by a year now for one loving class. gently caress.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

bet they’re one of those that are very stern on the whole “I don’t curve!” Having it in bold on throughout the syllabus

or they gave everyone a study guide with nothing from the final on it

But really if a class average is below, say, 60-70%, it’s fair to blame the professor just a bit there. I just never understood the concept of making a final worth such a huge chunk of your grade, especially when it’s really just an extension of the exams you already had. Just imo and all that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah the final was a bit different than the review he put out. For contrast the mean score for the midterm was 87.2.

I've never seen anything like this in all of my classes. The kicker is here if I have to retake this the course isn't offered again until next fall. I'm kind of panicking about this one. Especially since my grade is literally .15% from a C.

e: looking again, the highest score for the entire class is 81%. That's insanely low for an entire class. You're telling me that the highest grade for the entire class was barely a B?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

and you know that person studied their rear end off too

Do higher ups like the dean ever get involved when poo poo like that goes down? I was at a small school, and one exam had about 25% failing. They came out and did something behind closed doors with a curve and folks passing just barely above the threshold. It was obvious but they never admitted anything. It was less about caring if people are passing, and more about so many people being held back loving up the flow of the program

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah the lowest score on the final was a 27 lol. Also with a mean of 54% that means most of the class failed the final.

I've never been in this situation but I'm fairly certain a C- will mean the class won't count towards graduation. gently caress, I don't even know how to process this. This class won't be offered again until next fall.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah that’s lovely man

Not to be all: “ask to speak to the manager,” but can you ask the professor in person sincerely about a curve? Or go above them if needed? I mean the numbers are pretty telling...

I had a similar situation where I got a 54 or so, the median was 60, lowest in the 20s, and highest 75 or some poo poo. Thankfully just took an F and redid it elsewhere

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 28, 2018

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That's the plan, I already sent him an e-mail. I'm going to obviously exhaust every avenue here because while yeah, the performance on the final was lovely, obviously it's not just the students if it's that low across the board.

I had a 78 on the midterm and my lab grade for the entire semester was 100%, then to this. Like it's so insanely ridiculous that I'm almost laughing. Quite literally my last loving class that I need to graduate.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've heard so many stories about professors proud of their sadism and ridiculous fail rates. I'm glad I never ran into one of those pricks.