Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

MrDesaude posted:

Yikes.
At my absolute worst I was downing two a day, and that was the week before finals. I have been thinking about cutting pop and energy drinks entirely. Might be a good time to get serious on that.
I need to see how this schedule affects me. I took the summer off after going full time school and a full time job, and now I am back at it with 2 hour breaks between classes and running 7 days a week. Yes I am a masochist and an idiot, but I really am sick of working a poo poo job and need to get out as quickly as possible.

I've been on that real poo poo, full time school and work for like 3 years now, with summer classes in the mix. It's been an unreal crash course in time management and priority shifts and I'm definitely using that as a "how well do you deal with stressful situations" questions in interviews. Luckily I'm set to graduate this spring so I'm going full bore this year, as there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I've actually got a p good job that pays well, but gently caress if I'm not going to live the rest of my life not doing something I'm passionate about especially if Uncle Sam's giving me a free ride. It helps that IT vets with security clearances are a shoe in for ridiculous amounts of money working for defense contractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

voc rehab paperwork is in with the school certifying official and the bookstore, i guess its time to requistion a surface pro

Dont we get tax breaks on "school necessities", too? Because I've been alternating between new laptops/desktops for 3 years now.

I've got to run 6 VM's at a time and I need the most cutting edge of technology, you see.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress you're telling me it's slow now? I sent for my certification letter like two weeks ago.

Yeah, same. Not even that sweet book money. The EBenefit site has been working like complete poo poo too so I can't even see if I've got a pending payment.

Oh well, back to my horrible paper about the virtues of UX and WAAD.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Please pay me for my services, VA.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Semester went really well for me, but I really need to decompress. Full time work/school is a serious lesson in determining the balance between sanity and a complete life burnout. Now I'm just sitting around the house with a bunch of spare time and I have absolutely zero idea what to do with with it. I'm not sure what I used to do before I started this poo poo 3 years ago so being an idiot, I picked up some powershell books so I'll probably just do that during the break. One more semester to go.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
I'm going into my last semester with a 3.86, which is weird because I had this preconceived notion that college was super hard and I wouldn't do well. Then again I'm majoring in IT and that seems to be one of the easier programs, comparatively speaking (CS, Engineering, etc.).

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Leftover hours from my BS is the only reason that im working on my MSCE.

Wait a second, they pay for certs too?

Edit: oh hell ya they do.

Lets Get Patchy fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 23, 2018

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

^^ :wtf: so glad I haven't had to take classes in rural Minnesota/Wisconsin. If anything all of my crazy professors were probably actual Marxists, especially the fun/crazy old lady who I took my intro Poli Sci classes from.

My American Novels and Pop Culture writing intensive Professor was unapologetically Marxists and it was the most informative/fun classes I've taken, despite the horrific writing requirements. Dude was so interesting to listen to and promoted some great discussions. I loved going to that class.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006
Managed to be graduating at the top of my major in May and I'm getting a nice little achievement award for my efforts. Granted, there's only roughly 25 seniors in the IT program, but after 4 years of fulltime school/work and busting my rear end, I'm pretty loving proud I saw this through.

To you dudes/gals that are just starting and/or having a tough time, just push through get that degree. poo poo feels so good once it's done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

Eh, I made this move at 35 and it's totally cool. You'll actually make some friends if you dont show up to class decked out in operator clothing or start every response with "as a xxxx veteran, I feel..". Going back to school is awesome and a lot your younger classmates will look to you for insight.