Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TBeats posted:

I tried to talk to that guy out of going to the diploma mill. He told me that have a great program for what he is going for (criminal justice) and since it's all online he can do it from home.

Another one bites the dust.

Tried talking a couple people in my unit out of Phoenix and DeVry, one of them took my advice and finally just finished his Bachelors in Comp Sci from a local school and left the Air Force for a programming job.

The other couple of guys stuck with Phoenix, tried to leave the Air Force, and can't find jobs after completing their "degrees"....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Thermo is amazing and awesome, but applied thermo is a mind shattering nightmare fuel.

Go into it with eyes wide open. I'm a physicist, not an engineer, so Thermo is much more of a curiosity for me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird food bathtub posted:

Be a computer toucher with a clearance. Demand is amazing for that combination. I work with some astonishingly stupid people because they have it. Be intelligent and do decent work on top of that and you're going places.

I kind of want to do this, I've been a computer janitor for 15 years, but I'm transitioning into InfoSec.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

See what I mean CommieGIR? Your already rounding third headed home and that’s the recruiting bonus! They will spend 30k just to hire you in.

It’s almost as lucrative as some of the higher paying surgical specialties and you don’t have to be a doctor!

Slightly jelly, but super happy for you man. Your gonna be glad you chose the INFOSEC path.

I didn't have TS/SCI when I was in, unfortunately. I'm transitioning from Systems/Linux Engineering to InfoSec after 15 years of being a Linux toucher.

Its worth noting I'm not new to InfoSec, I was a Red Team/Pen Tester for nearly my entire 15 years, but it was never a job you could do full time. It was a largely a side gig.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 12, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Like Vmware esxi?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Woof Blitzer posted:

Finals are done on a machine you have to provision yourself in vsphere.

I couldn't help but laugh, because this is so incredibly easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EBB posted:

Interns should be seen and not heard and DEFINITELY not touching my expensive poo poo.

We're teaching our interns some ACTUAL InfoSec stuff rather than letting them learn the hard way. Its fun to pass on knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

What's with the GS hate? Come to Uncle Sam's soft warm giving bosom.

Hard to switch from private industry to GS cost wise, at least for me and InfoSec people.