Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yet another semester start tuesday and I already want to gripe.

Today: Calc professor sent out an email saying that we won't be using the $200 book + $50 web access code.

And since we've gone to a "common schedule" where most classes have been split into many 'rearrange able' 50 minute blocks I have class every day, where I either commute an hour there for one short class or have them smushed together such that i'll be hiking across campus in the 10 minutes between one ending and the next beginning.

Why do college students drink so much anyway? :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also its winter so there won't be many yoga butts so i'm just going to whine until morale improves.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Naked Bear posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A FIFTY PAGE REPORT ONTO THE DEAN OF STUDENTS DESK. ITS THE CHRONICLES OF MY CLASSMATES CHEATING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DESCRIBING THEIR MISCHIEF WHILE THAT HIPPIE PROFESSOR LOOKS THE OTHER WAY. I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE AND I NOTE EVERY INSTANCE IN DETAIL. MAKIN ALARM SOUNDS WHEN I SHOW VIDEO OF ME CATCHING THEM OR EVEN WHEN I REPORT THEM TO THE PROFESSOR. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY STRICTLY ENFORCED ACADEMIC INTEGRITY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TRICKS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL MORE RELEVANT BY STUDYING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I post about it.

Just a reminder of the realty of college.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well in stupid student news, I quit my job today and have a month and a half until Law school starts up. Gonna hit a lengthy camping trip on my way out west and maybe ask for my gf to marry me. I figure listless and unemployed is as good a way to kick things off as any

I'm out west for summer work and will be road tripping back east in august.

Casimir Radon posted:

I double majored. One was a social science, the other was the more lucrative GIS degree which is what I'm doing now. I'm pretty happy.

Just as an aside North Korea open source intel Is like 50% GIS and personal experience.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

Hey, I just got a letter from school and it says that I should join something called Phi Theta Kappa. I go to the website and it sounds like a bunch of huffing your own farts, is there a plus to joining poo poo like this?

Are you one of the people huffing your own farts while others pay you for the pleasure?

If not, then don't pay the far huffers to watch them huff farts

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My campus is particularly boxum this year

Although I'm having second thoughts about an EE major, i'm taking cyber security classes for a minor and the difference between the curriculum and effort required is night and day. Infosec is: show up and know the terminology, EE is: convert these laplacian transforms to spherical coordinates then integrate out a fourth order differential equation.

This engineering department has a serious hardon for pure math engineering classes.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You went guard rather than IRR?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

In my second year of an MBA, signed a job offer for next June already.

So basically I'm on a 9 month vacation where:
- I'm getting paid (GI Bill)
- I get to learn at my own pace
- I get to do things that are fun
- I get a job at the end.

Grad school is pretty sweet.

Yeah but from my experiences dealing with people with an MBA; MBAs are useless pieces of paper. Please be an example of a good business manager.

Justin Tyme posted:

Even if its the society for your major, if you're THAT smart you likely don't even need the benefits it entails as far as networking goes. If you for some reason never did any internships and are close to graduating you might think about it. I've already done a few internships and those emails go straight to the junk folder.

Or: Just join the proper professional society. IEEE bitches.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Woof Blitzer posted:

Protip: art doesn't pay and also it's really really hard to be good

Counterpoint, art pays in hookups with a cool community. If you can afford shelter and food you will lead a fun and fulfilling life.

Cited reference: My aunt was a well respected artist (and amazing person too) in silicon valley for 30 years before retiring to a million dollar house in northern California.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

As someone who is taking a theater course to gently caress around in and fill an arts requirement, your aunt was a special case because the kids in this class that are theater majors probably aren't going to be very employable.

That sounds like it sucks. My aunt was known in the family for being a sort of gifted and humble individual since she was like 14. I don't know how many of those kinds went into theater because they had talent vs how many went in because they wanna be famous.

I've met three engineers who fill the venn diagram of talented artist & beautiful girl, which out of 30,000 means about a 0.1% chance if you multiply by 10 accounting for (hopefully) artistic talents not going into engineering.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

This is why my degree plan is for communications. Something I still am passionate about.

https://youtu.be/_4OuAAM4v_Y

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
After the amazing times I had in Hawaii, Guam, and San Diego I realized coming back north east means I (still) have no real idea how to talk to the population of basic white girls everywhere. Seems I need to do a masters program on the west coast to fix that. I'm regressing into autism and being the single dude with nothing but couples for friends.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Also I got one professor to agree to me bringing Monty to class.

:getin:

This is the true college experience.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

So I wanted to clarify about my "dream."

Music videos. That's what I want to do. But not normal music videos. These are 3-4 minute movies with narrative and plot progression based on my interpretation of a song. Music videos have long been hailed as dead because I think they get tossed to the side. The Information Age made it so that we now expect video representation from bands and it is super easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm sure those leavings grew up to be a fine example of the locals

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

VA educational benefits do not cover student health insurance?

I just got told that by my certifying official. This is an unexpected $2700 bill.

Post 9/11 covers the school health insurance plan in CT. Talk to the VA and your certifying official?

Might be because legally you can't go to school here without insurance so the VA is forced to cover it, which they wouldn't in a different state? Even with the ACA individual mandate?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

School health insurance is part of my tuition but it does not qualify for Obamacare. They want us to carry our own while attending as well.

How does your school get away with providing health insurance that doesn't cover essential benefits? That seems completely useless to students?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Tell him No Smelly Fuckers Allowed

This, but also consider making a small scene of moving a few seats to embarrass him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

The only time I don't say anything is if it's occasionally. Like we all forget to put on deodorant that one morning and remember halfway through class when you raise your hand and goddamn KFC smells come straight out.

I had that one girl who was hot but never wore it. Never said anything because I already look like a creep, no need to sound like one too. "You smell."
"Thanks, I guess?"
"Bad"
"Ok weirdo quit smelling me."

All you gotta do is own it. "You smell" is some weak poo poo

Speak loud and confident and be a sarcastic rear end "I can't help but notice you smell like you never put on deodorant? Are you trying to make a statement or is it just an accident?"

You can't be a creep if you're super straightforward and confident about it. College chicks view you as a creep if you're too nice and genuine because that means you're secretly a 'sociopath looking to get their guard down'

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

rifles posted:

I went to a cybersecurity club meeting to check it out. The content was cool but I haven't been back because holy hell did that room stank

same, cool concept, mostly people who you dont wanna be around

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Our "Veteran Oasis" is an oasis safe space for bad opinions at a liberal as gently caress college.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Today I found out that my school pays an average of $30 per paper JSTOR. This came up because one of the business professors brought up the case of the Reddit guy who was downloading the entire archive at MIT and releasing it for free.

gently caress that non-profit institution bs, and I hope it burns to the ground. None of that money gets back to the people who worked and wrote the papers, and only a tiny bit to those who funded the research.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah, but all of those are bad things™. Its also a bad thing™ that unless you pay to play nobody will take your research seriously, and you can't cross reference anybody elses studies.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Howard Phillips posted:

One of my former sailors is applying to colleges for undergrad. Problem is he is seriously underselling himself. He did really well on his SATs but is only applying to mid tier schools. After some pushing he's finally acceded to apply to one Ivy league. But he wants my advice on which one to apply to. Honestly I have no idea and that it's up to him. So I'm referring to you guys, which of the Ivies is most veteran friendly?

Guy I know just got into MIT and is liking it. But also depending on what he did when he was in the extra work associated with a high tier school is not worth it. If he's trying to get a foot in the door of something that is completely specialized then yeah, but for things like a business degree or accounting then a regular state school is more than good enough. Every company wants a degree in "Thing" but they only care about the school and the GPA if you've got nothing else to judge based on. Grunt + Accounting degree is better than inexperienced 22yo + Yale Accounting Degree. (Baring nepotism etc)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
UCONN college republicans (A very small group here) had a thing. Girl stole the dudes speech about why its good to be white. He ran after her and swung at her. A bunch of people I know were in the room, and it turns out there was an a proudboy nazi there. He got arrested and the alt-right people freaked out a little.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/935739926041300999

I think I spyed my one eye'd EOD vet friend in the video too, but haven't got confirmation.

Idiots trying their poo poo on liberal campus's, smart move.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In case anyone was wondering UCONN is also a shitshow degree mill.

All student complaints are either immediately agreed with and you're grade gets bumped up, or immediately denied if it involves the school getting any less money from you.

The engineering program is also tanking as it is entirely an insular research organization at the graduate level, and the undergraduate program has been stripped down to be nearly lab and practical free, focusing on the mathematics of the research side alone.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
We sung the last verse of that a lot in A school as part of a different cadence.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Go to the dean of students?

Best thing I learned in the military, if you have the book on your side always escalate to the higher power.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Whoever said faculty isn't used to students standing up for themselves is very right. I mean I'm tall and heavily tattoo'd and have resting bitchface but what a bunch of pussies, cowards and grandparents.

Yeah that part probably helps too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh I always encourage other students here to escalate upwards a level or two when they have an actual grievance. Most of them get told off by the low clerk level people (often students themselves) and just move on by ignoring the problem. Its way more fun to raise the issue anyway.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

Oh poo poo I might ask for that now. I legit need a printer and mine does the same.

I've got an office jet 8710 that i'm happy with. Colors, both tray & flatbed scan/copy.

Mostly I got it to avoid the annoyance of putting funds on my school ID to just pay it right back for over prices prints.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Zeris posted:

If anyone is trying to get into Columbia and/or secure funding to close their GI bill gap, let me know ASAP. Assuming you're not a fuckup, I will put you in touch with the right people. I graduated this year and I'm close with the student vets president and the deans at the college of general studies.

I was really thinking about Columbia for a graduate program in two years, but I've also met a bunch of people at the Harvard Kennedy school thanks to Arms Control Wonk and they said I should go there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

I got my DD-214 and I'll count that as my degree from America

The Diploma of FREEDOM

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

boop the snoot posted:

His plan is associates degree and then open a gym. He hasn't thought much beyond that.

And I suspect he is picking CC because he misses his girlfriend, and the town she is in only has a CC.

The other thing is that CC tends to be so cheep that it hits the break even point where the interest on a student loan is much much less than the money you'd lose by burning GI bill time on a CC budget.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

lightpole posted:

Tell him he should decide to be smart and not dumb.

Already an impossible task, as he earned a GI bill.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If you withdraw from a class do you have to refund the VA the money they paid the school? I'd like to withdraw from my multivariable calc class and retake it next semester rather than take the inevitable D or F.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
nth-ing the burnout crew.

I withdrew from my Multivariable Calc class because I was headed for at best a D. Somewhere after highschool my brain became inellastic at learning math, and because of it i'm doing mediocre in my Control Systems Analysis class, which is all S-domain math but closer to complex algebra than calc so i'm pulling through it. I've got a Microcontroller Programming class which is a misnamed 'low level C programming class' where the instructor and TA have done no actual teaching all semester, as the class consists of 6 hours of lab time where your goal is to make the arduino do increasingly ~thing~. Wouldn't be bad if the instructor actually taught, but in their opinion the class being open book, open data sheet, google all you want makes it too easy already.

On the flip side I'm getting an A in Circuits Analysis with no effort, and helping the TA and other students out a lot, since its a 3000 course that barely hits the level of detail of a 1970's babies first circuit project from popular science.

But I've kept sane by working on an actual project with other students. It was a relief to find people who like doing actual engineering and hands on building stuff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Got my cash. Probably failed a final.

Pro tip: don’t pick a major that requires math if youre awful at math.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
If your school is anything like my school the VA office doesn’t actually have the ability to monitor real time add/drops. So their policy is students report their current credit load to them and they update the VA pay system. If you didn’t tell them you dropped a class mid semester and they caught it in their post semester audit welp.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Work for a senator or congressman. Work in the executive. Work for an agency. Work for a four letter think tank. Consult overseas. Flip burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Federal Grants and Loans should be the same through FAFSA. They shouldn’t be able to take those away at all. If instead they’re taking away a university grant then that’s entirely their choice to be dicks.