Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Went to our schools engineering career fair today. Tons of kids wearing I’ll fitting black suits and plain shirts. I wore sneakers, khakis, and a neon blue polo and still had recruiters trying to cat call me from their booths.

Shirt and tie is a capitalist relic from baby boomers

But today did make me keenly aware that I need to figure out what I’m doing after graduating. All the cool jobs don’t pay and all the local jobs aren’t cool. I’ve got two interviews tomorrow and every table I talked too said they wanted a follow up but I am hesitant to even consider taking an offer eight months before graduation. Gotta shoot for the stars with my options if anybody knows an in for an interesting field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I am in the exact same situation and for some reason feel anxious over the filing of a FAFSA and I have no idea why.

But here's to graduating in May :toot:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
3 credits this semester for aircraft ground school :clint:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

FAU doing the online thing until further notice

I guess formula sae gonna be off this year

UCONN as well

Online judging :frog:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All MBAs are worthless, in person or online

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Today I got offered a paid postgraduate position for a PhD in EE. If I was 22 I'd probably take that offer since $24k is something, especially given the recession that's about to hit. But I think I would be miserable doing it so I'm going to take my chances that the big government contractors are still gonna need new engineering hires even with a big market downturn.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

Our commencement is obviously cancelled, and I'm hoping they just give a rain check instead of putting on some insulting Skype ceremony. On the bright side, Bryant-Denny's stadium renovations will be done by then so we can actually have commencement there now. Even if the crowd will probably be occupying every third seat.

With Dad's health becoming more fragile tho there is definitely a bitter undercurrent of "they better get this thing done while I'm alive to see it".

Anyone else have problems staying on focus the last two months of their degree? The combination of the world melting while we were overseas and a total shift to online has me as unmotivated and disconnected-feeling as all hell. I pulled some last-minute poo poo that was drastic even for me on a midterm tonight.

Yeah me and everybody I know is essentially just shrugging their shoulders. Professors included. We're presenting over webex for our capstone design project, with no grading rubric or expectation of actually having meaningful project results because campus is on hard lockdown until summer. Nobody knows whats going on with classes that are lab based, and the only teacher who seems to be on board with this serious online coursework is a COMM 1400 class where to make up for "missing (absolutely useless) lecture time" are making things so obnoxious that you would essentially have to sit at your computer for an hour a day to be present for the streams and quizzes and polls.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Isn't this how Better Call Saul works?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

lol this thread's about to have a complete roster turnover in the next 3 months

Not if I don't graduate next week :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I will never, ever, ever, ever apply for a PhD program.

(Unless someone waves a very large check in front of my face)

My undergraduate advisor sat me down and asked me to join his research team since they're spinning up a group specifically for underwater research. Four year PhD program, paid tuition.

"Ahh and it comes with a nice paid stipend of $24,000 a year!"

My rent living here is $1300/mo, so I noped right out of that.