Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's still worth trying to save him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Comparing textbook prices with my roommate, India gets their books for cheap (i.e. reasonable prices) compared to the insanity that is the U.S. market for textbooks. For one book I selected, it would run you about $225 from Amazon.com, but the same one from Amazon.in is about ₹1100, or $16 USD. Amazon.in won't ship that to US addresses, for obvious reasons, but why not just have it sent to a mail forwarding service in India? Even with expedited shipping, that'd still be far cheaper.

The especially funny thing is that even buying it from Amazon.in, it would still ship from a store in the US. :wtc:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Eat all the dicks, administrative shitlords. Thanks for jerking me around for the past couple of weeks, waiting to act until the last possible minute, and generally being unhelpful, which has forced me to scramble at the eleventh hour to finally get registration done for the semester that started last week. Double gently caress you because I had to pay out of pocket thanks to your stupid poo poo. :fuckoff:

And group therapy was cancelled this week because the therapist is sick. :sigh:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Graphs are tough, but an awful lot of problems can be solved with the clever use of graphs.

I suck at graph stuff.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's an important concept in math and computer science used to represent objects and the relationships between them. Think of a road map, for example. A graph consists of "nodes" linked to one another by "edges." A road map could have roads be represented by edges, and each intersection would therefore be represented by a node.

ex:

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 24, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The Firearms Club that I'm a newly minted exec of is under investigation by the school, the clubs and societies part of the student union, and the RCMP.

They used club funds to buy handguns and ARs without being licensed to do so or having the permission of the union or university. To get around that they registered the firearms to the club president. That's probably the tip of the iceberg.

:canada:
Take some tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9pDPLqUZU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

My only regret is not banging out a horse girl.
You don't need to be in a club to do this.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Stupid poo poo happens in academia. It's stupid, doesn't make sense, and pisses you off, but in the end, one grade is about as significant as getting a PCS award or some dumb poo poo.

Two spring semesters ago I got a B simply because the professor couldn't do loving math, even though I had an A on every single lab and exam, including the final. Apparently, the person who would have taught the course retired a few weeks before the semester, so the school had to find somebody in a hurry. They dug up this muppet from another school nearby that I'd never loving heard of, and he wound up "teaching" (if you can call it that) the subject on which he had zero experience (seriously, zero). The end of the semester approaches and this guy tells us how the final will be structured: it will contain four programs, of which you must write solutions for three. One of those he even gave in advance so that we could turn it in ahead of the final, leaving plenty of time to do two more programs (this is important) during the exam period.

Now, all of the lazy professors love to use Blackboard these days, because you can just punch in grades and it calculates each student's grade for you. Because the final would need a total of three solutions, he set up the final in Blackboard to take three solutions for the final. In his infinite wisdom, the professor also created another graded item weighted similarly (but not exactly, because he don't math gud) to represent the problem given in advance. Again, three out of four programs need to be written for the final. I turned in a solution for the problem given in advance, totally killed it, no problem. The final comes, I knock out the other two programs, submit my code through Blackboard, and go home.

Come to find out after the fact that, because of the bizarre way that he set up the scoring for the final, I got credit for only two problems even though I had submitted all three (that first problem was also separate item). Thus, because I only got about 2/3 of the points (again, did not loving add up correctly anyway), my grade for the final was dogshit and my course grade dropped to a B. On top of this, because this ding-dong was only brought on temporarily, he didn't have an office or leave a way to contact him. No loving way to get it fixed and chew his dumb rear end out. :mad:

gently caress, he was a retard.

Anyway, that's my story, thanks.

e: Jesus, I spend way too long typing this.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i could tolerate the poo poo it the military because they were paying me

in college its the opposite! that's what makes me mad
This, so loving hard. I am giving you money to sit in a classroom and absorb wisdom, the least you can do is act like you give a gently caress.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i'll die in a corporate world
Burn the motherfucker down when they take your stapler.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKK LATEX AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

sorry guys, just had to get that out

for real, tho, gently caress LaTeX

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

so loving mad about computers

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It was a misplaced pair of curly braces. :suicide:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Used to, yeah. Not so much these days. :(

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks, bruh. Wuv u <3

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"I mostly just stared at dirt. That's a more accurate description than you may think."

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Here we go, second exam today, and this is the miserable math-heavy one. :toot:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That went way too well. Now I'm worried. :stare:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Yeah, fairly often. The terrible thing is that sometimes that gut feeling turns out to be right and sometimes it's not. I can't tell. :psyduck:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I think I lucked out on professors this semester. Today my friend was bitching about her orgo professor, and everything I've heard about him so far leads me to believe that he's got each and every one of his students on his poo poo list. The professor who was giving my first exam today brought in donut holes. No complaints from me!

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Soulex posted:

I smoke robot dick.
:raise:

oh

still

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Conventional warfare sure seems pretty nasty, but a lot more straightforward than this insurgency / unlawful combatant nonsense.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Finishing up a lab report that my partner had already typed up the bulk of, I noticed that most of it didn't make any sense and hardly anything he wrote resembled the lab we did. I typed a bunch of it into Google, and lo and behold, Google spat back out almost everything I fed it word for word, including the hosed up and unformatted equations with no relevance to the schematics we used.

Now I'm loving pissed, because not only do I now have to write up the whole thing (for real this time) in the next three hours, but I also now suspect that this was the case for the last lab. I'm also betting that this is why I lost points on the lab before that when the prof. noted that our then-separate reports apparently did not match up (which confused the hell out of me because mine was poo poo hot). Motherfucker, if you want to do joint reports, you had better actually contribute something original to it, because I will not take a hit for your bullshit. I will throw you right the gently caress under that bus if your antics threaten my grade.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

not caring here posted:

I'd email the professor with what he gave you, where you found it online and throw him the gently caress under the bus. He's obviously lazy or incompetent, which is kind of okay except that he's totally will to put the dick to you in the process.

I have no doubt if they accused you for plagiarism he'd throw you under the bus quick as blink.
This is what I'll likely end up doing. My dumb rear end goofed and forgot that the class is at a different time today, so I actually just missed that class (fortunately?), but I'll see if the prof. is around tomorrow morning anyway.

If you had asked me right at the start of the semester if I thought this guy was a lazy gently caress, I'd have taken one look at him and said, "yep, no doubt." The bizarre thing, though, is that he really pulls his weight in actually executing the labs and has caught my mistakes on several occasions. Weird. I'm not worried about being accused, myself, because I can just point to the email chain where he's attached that garbage and say, "look at how this is written, then compare it to anything else that I've submitted."

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 16, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'm already going to take a hit on this report because I had to start the whole thing over. Whatever happens to him is not my concern; what happens to me is. I have not, do not, nor will cheat on anything I put my name on, whether for school or work, because I value my self-worth and reputation too much to just piss it away for saving a few minutes or whatever. I do not want my name to be on anything like that or to be associated with anyone who plays that way.

It's not FYGM, it's "I don't want to get hosed."

You're right, though: this isn't the military. There, you stick your neck out for your buddy because he's covering your rear end, too. That's not the case here.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I know what you mean, man, but I can't possibly imagine a scenario where the first word out of a prof's mouth isn't, "why?"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I should have mentioned this earlier because it's super-duper relevant: every report that we turn in is required to have a signed statement at the end saying, in effect, "the work contained herein is my own." I signed that statement and turned in the previous report believing that was true, but I am now finding out that was not the case through no fault of my own. That's why I'm pissed, that's why I'm not going to try and sweep it under the rug.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

And an enormous cigar that puts Castro's dingle dangle to shame.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Was he a medically retired Mormon from Montana?

His favorite "profanity" was "dirty sow." He also referred to hired help as "Tobies" and legit did not know what that meant.

Actually a really good dude, just way funny for reasons beyond his own comprehension.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 28, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Five minutes 'til and I'm the only one standing outside the lab. :stare:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Or you could do the intelligent thing, get out of the army and major in something other than psych :shrug:
Get that crazy talk out of here.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Two weeks later, my lab partner finally sent me the data for that loving lab... and only after I reminded him again (and twice). Bonus: today he talked with the professor, who then very generously said that she'd take the report late if we could get it to her before she left. Of course, he sent me the data around noon and then waited two hours to tell me that we could still get it in today (when I wasn't even home). Naturally, it's Friday, so you bet your rear end the prof peace'd the gently caress out not long after. gently caress this kid.

Oh, and then he suggested that I make up some dumb poo poo about being sick. loving serious, guy?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Well, I got laid way more when I was still in, so, yeah.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Holy gently caress, not again. It's five minutes 'til, there's supposed to be an exam today, and there's nobody here.

WHAT THE gently caress

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I definitely have my pants on. :stare:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nah, it was the regular ol' place. These idiots just love showing up at the last second to give me a heart attack. gently caress me, that exam was awful.

I need to go take a walk in the park or something, this poo poo is stressful as gently caress.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It alternates between relaxing and terrible.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

You're doing it right, my man.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

That is by far the best box or box-ish thread I've ever read in TFR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

It's not tolerated, there are just an abnormal number of retards who think they're special and just haven't been caught yet. We're not all that awful, I promise.