Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

hot sorcery posted:

I'm currently studying for a Master of Science in Health Communication and I’m just starting a semester-long project on creating a (currently theoretical) communication campaign to encourage student veterans to get mental health support while they’re transitioning to civilian life. While I’m reviewing a bunch of literature, I’m also wanting to get some more detailed (& less formal) perspectives on barriers (and potential solutions). I've asked in the discord too, but if any veterans here would be keen to help me out by answering some questions on that subject, please send me a message! I can provide more info on the project, who I am, why I chose this topic etc. if any of you would like, too :)

And just throwing this out there, I've helped a bunch of vets on the discord put together/update their resumes after getting out/graduating, so if anyone would like help with that feel free to hit me up!

I might not be your complete target audience but I think I check several of those boxes. I'd appreciate advice / someone to talk to in exchange for whatever data you'd like from me that may help your project! Feel free to PM me and we can talk a bit.

Also discord? I did a brief search and we have a discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Wow, sorry. I kinda just shitposted not expecting this kind of response but I'll try my best. Thank you all. A lot.

Hekk posted:

I got a bachelors degree in computer science at 39. You’ll be fine. Are you planning on using your GI Bill?
Yes, planning on using GI Bill, also considering the same major.

Wrong Theory posted:

I will say if you anticipate getting any disability rating get on Voc Rehab when you get out. Don't do the "wait until I exhaust my GI Bill" that some people seem to think is the best, if you are rated get on Voc Rehab. It's a better system and if you need stuff for school they will get it for you.

If I can ask a question and feel free to ignore it because I don't mean to pry, it's just I have seen a lot of retirees use their GI Bill and I honestly don't understand why. You have a guaranteed paycheck the rest of your life right? With years of experience that you could hopefully do something related on the civilian side. And if you have kids you can pass on the GI Bill which could be useful since let's face it you need a degree for a decent job these days. College ain't cheap. Obviously if you don't have kids or can't pass on the benefit then go hog wild.
I appreciate your response and apologize for cutting it up a bit for brevity but I'm single with no kids. And my AFSC is basically nonexistent in the civilian side. I plan on using the GI Bill benefits and moving on. Your Voc Rehab info is good stuff.

GD_American posted:

I guess main starter questions:

1. Any dependents that you'd pass the GI Bill onto?
2. Do you have severe enough disabilities that you'd expect a 30%+ more disability rating?
3. What do you see yourself doing? What do you want to do? Is it in your career field from the service, or do you want to do something new?
4. Are you planning to work full-time while in school, or can you afford to commit to school totally by itself?

Basic advice is get your certificate of eligibility, ask tons of questions, realize that some very helpful people will inevitably give you some bad and wrong advice sprinkled in with good advice.
1. No.
2. I'll be honestly surprised if it's below 70%.
3. Nothing associated with my career field. Computer science maybe, have some other ideas. Journalism, architecture, anything other than management.
4. Can commit to school. I won't have much else to do.

Dorstein posted:

I guess the first question is: what are your goals? Do you know what kind of degree you want? Are you shooting for a certain kind of job?

Hooking up with the local veteran's office at the institutions you're interested in is probably a good start.

Edit: Vocational Rehabilitation before GI Bill is a big one now, since it comes from a different pot of eligibility. GI Bill burns voc rehab time but not the other way around, so definitely do voc rehab first if you can.
No solid goals. Good point about the veteran's office, and between your comments and Wrong Theory I'm still pretty sure I'll be using GI Bill but voc rehab is something to consider.

Lets Get Patchy posted:

Eh, I made this move at 35 and it's totally cool. You'll actually make some friends if you dont show up to class decked out in operator clothing or start every response with "as a xxxx veteran, I feel..". Going back to school is awesome and a lot your younger classmates will look to you for insight.

Mustang posted:

I had a poo poo GPA and an unimpressive test score yet still managed to get into a highly competitive program. Being a veteran gives us a huge leg up over our civilian peers during admissions, I never would have gotten into this program if I hadn't been in the Army.
Again, sorry to cut and chop stuff up but... brevity. That kinda sums up my biggest concerns and is rather reassuring. I've got some poo poo early grades and mostly CLEP'd my way to my CCAF.

Change is scary and I feel lost.