Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vasudus posted:

If you have an opportunity to attend an Ivy, do so. A lot more doors will be open with an Ivy on your resume.

I should hope so. We were talking about in the Discord. He only gets 80% GI Bill, so every year he'd have to pay $Camry out of pocket for tuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

Oh that's a pretty important missing detail because I was wondering why you WOULDN'T go to an Ivy if you have the chance and use the GI Bill.

Yeah, that's probably relevant. Without 100% GI Bill, you don't qualify for Yellow Ribbon, so anything beyond the tuition cap is out of pocket. Columbia definitely exceeds the tuition cap.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Yeah, you're gonna get your CAC taken away and replaced by one of those old green IDs.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wait then how do I get into iperms? It's CAC-only (EAMS) now.

You don't.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Why do you still need access to iperms?

If you say "because I need to download some form or other," then lol gently caress you for not planning ahead. You knew you were going to ETS for the past three years and eleven months.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

the military is proficient in finding new ways to gently caress you over that you haven't even thought of, and I wanted to be prepared.
Okay, this one I totally understand.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

brand engager posted:

I don't have any rating. Probably could have gotten a low one for tinnitus but too late for that.

Tinnitus is an automatic 10% if you ever spent any time around anything loud (e.g. guns and engines)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I pop by the vet lounge to use the printer from time to time. That's about it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Can it be a class-action suit?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Finished my finals today. To celebrate, I bought a musket on Sunday.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I have two semesters left and I'm oh so slowly dragging my rear end up to a cumulative 3.0

US History since 1865 - A (because the core curriculum at my last school is different than the core curriculum of this one)
Fundamentals of math - A (I got academic forgiveness to have the Fs and Ds taken out of my GPA calculation, but that also wiped out my math credit)
American Political Institutions - B (poli sci minor)
Russia since 1855 - B

Resident GPA is a 3.62 but because of the albatross of bad grades from my last school around my neck, my cumulative is currently a 2.98

I got two semesters to drag that up before I graduate and I'm trying to qualify for an honors society before I do. It requires a 3.0 cumulative and a 3.1 in my major and currently my major GPA is 3.077

By the end of next semester I should have that.

It's a shame there's not really a way to recognize that I've been kicking rear end since I started school again other than the dean's list letters.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mods change my name posted:

To be treated with just a little courtesy and respect as a paying student.

Hahahahahaha

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mods change my name posted:

It's hilarious I know

No, I mean the idea of a university caring about a student.

It's absolutely a lovely situation and I didn't mean to make light of that. Sorry this poo poo's happening to you, man.

Hopefully the VA will work with you on a repayment plan.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

So I'm going to school outside of the US. I got an email from the VA saying that they'd received an enrollment certification submission from the school, and that it would go through processing. Anyone have any idea how long that takes? I'm needing documentation from the VA for my visa application saying that I'll have income while I'm in the country.

~two weeks on average. Your mileage may vary.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Got the official "no" from the school

Yeah, that's some bullshit. Start raising hell.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I ran the numbers and, sure enough, I got shorted about $50 for my August housing allowance.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
You also won't get paid for the 31st, so don't count it when calculating how much your prorated amount is supposed to be.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, yeah, my BAH from my GI Bill. Total brain fart, I've been on my rear end sick all day.

Did you factor in that they only pay for 30 days, and even if you had class on the 31st you don't get paid for it?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

My classes started on the 4th, so I don't think that's it. Or maybe it is. I don't know, this is all brand new to me.

To figure out your BAH, take your monthly benefit and divide by 30. That's what you get per day. And if classes for you started the 4th, then multiply that number by 27.

Your monthly benefit can be figured out at the VA's GI Bill calculator. I can dig up a link if you need it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

rifles posted:

Do the income verification adjustment form like up the bum said. You'll need tax transcripts for the year in question and this year if you want to adjust it that way. Most schools will do an estimated incoming adjustment as well but I have no experience with that.

I did one this semester because I turned 24 and am finally considered independent of my parent's income. They based my fafsa on 2016 when I was on initial active duty for training for 7 months. Basically took the year off after and my income was just drill, so doing the adjustment form doubled my pell grant to the max.

In other news, I'm being offered a single room in the OSU vet house for $748 a month. That's still under what a shared dorm costs so I'm very happy.

Remember that your tax transcript is not the same as a copy of your tax return: You have to get it from the IRS.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just don’t want to see another goon lawyer struggling to find a job, especially a milgoon.

he said, tearfully lifting the pillow.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm using student loans to pay off credit cards. Lower interest rates.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Woof Blitzer posted:

4.0 for the semester. Meh

Me too, buddy. Me too.

Edit: I got an A on a paper I wrote with a concussion. My second attempt at college is basically an achievement run.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

I randomly got 600 dollars at the end of December. Not sure why.

GI Bill?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I wonder when mine will show up. They claim the backpay will hit by end of January, but lol

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Anybody get their GI Bill housing allowance backpay yet? The claim we'll all get it by the end of the month, but they also say that dogs can't look up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Boy, good thing I joined two then.

Tau Sigma for transfer students who do well academically.

Phi Alpha Theta for history students who do well academically.

I'm collecting bling to wear at commencement in May.

Heavy cords but I bear 'em, medals chafe but I wear 'em.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

GD_American posted:

I got invited to that Tau Sigma, it was like 45 bucks and when I looked it up it was literally less than 10 years old. I signed up because it was a bullet point. I have no idea if it made the difference in any hiring decision then, but I'll happily pay 45 bucks to put "blankety blank honor society" on my resume, no matter how hilariously contrived the idea of "honor society for transfer students" is.

lol hey there tau sigma buddy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

GD_American posted:

see, we're already networking

:mcnally:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My capstone is due at the end of the month. I currently have nearly 8 pages out of 25. Hoping to have 10 by the end of the day.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nick Soapdish posted:

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well. Good on you for actually starting early like a sensible person instead of procrastinating like I probably would

No, this is absolutely procrastination. I should have been working on this all semester.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
A position opened up that I'm interested in applying for, but a degree is required and I'm fuzzy on how to proceed: Do I say I don't have one yet (truth) and risk being auto-rejected by The System? Do I say I have one and say "May 2019" in the education field and risk getting pinged for knowingly saying something that's technically untrue? Do I wait until I graduate and risk the job being filled in the next month? (holy Jesus a month from today)

I decided to talk to HR tomorrow instead. The position's at my school, so it's not like I won't be there anyway.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I did the same thing when graduating and put my degree info like so: "B.S. Accounting, 3.43/3.83 department/cumulative GPA – Expected completion December 2016 (School name, city and state)"

It got me hired. Finals one week, stepped into the office the week right after with no break. If you put your app in and make your position clear, I don't think there's anything to lose.

There really isn't a place for that in the application. It's literally a dropdown box: Highest level of education completed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I got a really weird email today.

quote:

Greetings McNally,

It is my great pleasure to inform you that you have been selected by the faculty of the History Department to receive the Outstanding Civil War and 19th Century student award for 2018-2019. This award is given in recognition of your academic excellence and contribution to the department and the university.

The award will be presented at a ceremony on April 24 at 5:00 pm at the Frank Center Theater. A reception will follow. Please extend an invitation to family and friends to attend so that they may come and celebrate your achievements. Congratulations on this well deserved honor.

Best,

Dr. Department Chair

When I got this email, I was working on my capstone paper. I have yet to articulate a coherent thesis statement. I only have 15 pages written. It's due on May 1st. I'm presenting on April 27th. I'm wearing a t-shirt with a butt taco on it.

I think they made a mistake.

quote:

Dear Dr. Department Chair,

Was there nobody else up for consideration?

Yours in astonishment,

McNally

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I think I finished my capstone paper.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Now it's time for Phase Two: The Editing

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

Congrats!

I'm jealous, 30 pages in and 10 days till the rough is due.

gently caress, mine only had to be 25.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Oh God I'm thinking about grad school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I'm thinking about going to the University of Edinburgh. They have an American Civil War program and the current hotness in Civil War history is to examine the effects our war had on the rest of the world. My elevator pitch refers it as "seeing how the ripples from the rock dropped on our side of the Atlantic rock the boats on the other."

There'd be a modest out-of-pocket (anywhere from $3000 to $10000 depending on how the pound exchanges with the dollar when I go), but I have enough GI Bill left to cover the entire time. Because an MA only takes one year there.

Also, many many thanks to Barcley for this: