Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Finally got my grades. I'm changing employers so I can't use the tuition reimbursement from my current one, but I did learn that apparently I can write off like $4000 of tuition on my taxes.

I need to see about converting my REAP benefits to MGIB so I can resign from the IRR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My course this coming semester uses functional programming instead of object oriented programming, which is something I've never done. I'm doing some small classes on functional python ahead of time and it's like trying to learn Chinese.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm doing Khan Academy because I have to learn linear algebra before the 23rd and it makes me question the concept of institutionalized higher education. The courses are so easy to follow and they make the material so easy to understand.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

Nailed it

Edit: like yeah, I lived in Florida for a bit lol. gently caress that place.

Only part of Florida I've been to is Tampa. gently caress Tampa.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My schedule's been too hectic to do in-person courses, although I have a bit more stability now work hour wise so I might take on in-person in the fall.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Higher education is as much about figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to being faced with large amounts of information as it is anything else.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

One semester? :stare:

Not buying it unless he's in a MBA program or doesn't know how tuition works.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Most for profit schools cost about that much, so don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Grad programs always charge the going rate if you take an undergrad course. It's part of your graduate degree plan, then it gets charged that rate.

Ideally you don't have grad students in undergrad classes though. That usually means you don't have the foundation you should have, or that your degree program has that much slack.

Mine charged them at a lower rate, albeit one that was higher than the normal undergrad rate.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

22k semester is still a lot. Not that it matters.

USD is awesome. Small classes, yoga butts, chill atmosphere.

But an underdeveloped mathematics program, apparently.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

School has now tweeted a couple of alerts about women being attacked and forcibly fondled tonight by what sounds like the same guy.

I didn't know you went to school in DC

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So. Much. Graph Theory.

Thank gently caress my roommate got his undergrad in real math.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Turned in my final project, thus capping off the most difficult semester in my entire academic career. Spent an average of 20 hours a week on one single course on top of working full time and traveling.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just remember that it never hurts to be the best dressed person in the room.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah but we're talking about business school, not undergrad. If you're undergrad, go hog wild and wear sweatpants.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

This is why I like the computer science community: where dressing up is wearing my dark jeans, and khakis are cargo pants.

I mean yeah for normal day to day internal stuff, but if you ever do anything customer-facing (sales, consulting, or management) expect to be throwing on a sport coat over those jeans at a minimum, if not a casual suit with no tie.

I never got the IT nerd resistance to dressing up when appropriate. Spend money to buy well fitting clothing and it's just as comfortable as jeans.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

i'm liking the net admin over the loving sysadmin bullshit group policy poo poo what should i do

Networking tends to pay far better because fewer people focus on it. You end up having to do a fair amount with Linux/BSD and AD anyway no matter where you are in IT.

Security and software defined networking are the two most lucrative fields within IT infrastructure services right now, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Never been to one, what was so :stare: about it?

Yeah, mine was pretty normal: speech by the president and provost, a guest speaker, and then the reading of everyone's names and the degree they received.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think different schools do it differently, too. Mine was small enough that we did the entire graduating class, including undergrad, grad, law, and MBA students. Larger universities will sometimes do it by program or individual​ college.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah. Our summer semester ends the day before the fall semester begins :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

FWIW I got into actual medical school (mid-tier MD program) with a sociology BA and good grades in all the science pre-reqs (plus a few upper division cancer/cell bio electives to prove I wasn't a chump). The few programs that care about your degree care in the opposite direction you think - there's a nearly endless supply of hard science turbonerds and a lack of applicants with any depth or breadth of experience outside of biology/chemistry, and those people tend to make better doctors/pas/nps. Get good grades so you get an interview; do poo poo you're interested in and can talk about with a degree of passion and engagement so you can nail the interview and get the acceptance.

This is the same for a lot of graduate programs. Now granted, if you're going from English to Computer Science you're probably going to have to take a lot of prereqs, but it's certainly doable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

If you get into management in IT is an MBA worth anything in terms of moving up in bigger organizations, or would you be better off looking at some sort of Comp Sci degree? I got my BS in Business Administration which has helped me get my foot in the management door but I have no clue if masters degrees are worth it or which field is more desired if they are.

Either one will help you credentials wise, but an MBA will probably get you farther if you're looking to move into non-engineering roles, since the emphasis for IT management/executives is very much business focused. And that's an area where technical people are usually lacking in knowledge and experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah. If you find your way into IT consulting, it's basically a golden ticket to making at least $200k/yr without a college degree, so long as you're willing to put in the time to both know your poo poo and understand how businesses work. But if you don't actually like IT or computers, don't bother, because all of the money in the world isn't worth the idiots you'll deal with on a day to day basis if you aren't enjoying what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just got a letter today that if you were using REAP that you can now convert to post-9/11 GI bill. I tried to do this about a year and a half ago and was denied; glad to see I can actually do it for real now.