Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Starting grad school this fall.

The required health questionnaire and immunization records verification sheets are supposed to be signed by a doctor. Where do I get this poo poo signed? I'm already separated and obviously Tricare is no bueno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Okay I will get in touch with the university clinic when I get down there on the 12th. Deadline is 31st, so I should be good.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Started grad program. Feeling pretty out of place. Not lonely but most of my department is FOB chinese or indian (engineering/CS) and i'm surrounded by people who are basically a decade younger than me.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

not caring here posted:

I've had 1 group thing so far, and thankfully I got some of the effort students in the group, but then this one goon looking motherfucker that was just plain dumber than poo poo. Thankfully we could give him a role so small that if he didn't even do it it wouldn't bother us that much.

I had my first chem lab last week and apparently everything is done with partners. I just put my stuff near the lab bench and just got nabbed immediately by this woman who claimed me as her lab partner. I wondered why then I realized that this creepy as all gently caress weirdo with a pedo stache and a neckbeard was gonna be her other option, and she turned out to be really switched on, so that was good news as well.

So I've had a good run with group stuff so far but I count myself very, very lucky.

Did you bone her?

Also what are some of the best ways to milk the Post 9/11 GI Bill for all it's got? I'm gonna have about 20 months of benefits left when I finish my grad program.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

VA educational benefits do not cover student health insurance?

I just got told that by my certifying official. This is an unexpected $2700 bill.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Grem posted:

I didn't turn in my waiver one year and the G I Bill paid for the school's health insurance. They sent me letters wanting their $1,000 back. I never got less money or anything on the 1st, so I wonder why the letters stopped.

Is this from the VA or the school?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

You could always join the military... I here they have healthcare. :haw:

Forrealz tho, should've done reserves for the duration of my schooling.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

One of my former sailors is applying to colleges for undergrad. Problem is he is seriously underselling himself. He did really well on his SATs but is only applying to mid tier schools. After some pushing he's finally acceded to apply to one Ivy league. But he wants my advice on which one to apply to. Honestly I have no idea and that it's up to him. So I'm referring to you guys, which of the Ivies is most veteran friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

All solid advice. Thank you very much.

Yeah I'm gonna tell him to focus on Columbia and apply to others as well. When I was in I read "Hillbilly Elegy" J. D. Vance and it made me realize a lot about all the young people in the military. I was an immigrant and a prior enlisted officer but still this book gave me a huge perspective on the lack of opportunity and the state of economic oppression in our country. So my best friend on the ship, himself a child of privilege who came from the tri state private school to Ivy league to now PhD in Ivy league, we went on a mission to talk to our guys for real. Both of us were getting out and a lot of the senior NCOs (Navy chiefs) hated us because a couple of really smart capable guys decided to get out. We weren't pushing people to separate but just gave them raw advice.

Anyways now a lot of guys still hit me up for advice on commissioning programs or opportunities post military. The thing that gets me is that beyond race, religion, and sex, the economic disparity in this country is huge. The military has a disproportional percentage of people coming from the fly over country and rural areas. In my 12 years in the Navy I rarely ever came across enlisted guys/girls from new england or major cities, it was mostly Texas, the South, and minorities looking for opportunity.

People say America is a land of opportunity, that's true, but not everyone has equal access to that opportunity. Like LBJ said after he spent time teaching poor Mexican kids in Cotulla, Texas long before he became a big shot in Congress, so much of our country is mired in the "tentacles of circumstance."