Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LudaChris posted:

One semester of grad school down and still alive. Luckily everyone is close to my age.

Congrats! I survived my first semester, only to decide that I'm switching programs. I'm out of Marine Science and into a post-bachelor's GIS program instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

McNally posted:

So first I got a letter from my school congratulating me for making Dean's List for my great semester! Hooray!

Then I got a letter saying I'm on academic probation because my overall GPA sucks. Boo!

My crappy academic performance from five years ago is weighing me down, so I applied for academic forgiveness. The school says to qualify, I needed a five year break between the end of my last semester and starting up with them. I was three months short of five full years, but I was told to go ahead and apply anyway.

A week or so later I got a letter saying my application was denied because I didn't meet the five year break that state policy requires. So I looked up the policy and the state says I only need four years.

So when classes start up next week I'm going to see my advisor to ask him what the gently caress. If it's a school policy, fuckin' say so and don't hide behind the state.

Jesus, it's like trying to nail jello to the wall. Why can't poo poo go smoothly for once?

I wish I had a way to force people to read all of your posts when they hear that I'm a veteran and come ask me about whether or not they should join.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was in 2 clubs, scuba and archery. Both were pretty solid, made some great friends, good places to score weed. 10/10, would get stoned out of my mind on a dive trip again.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Syrian Lannister posted:

I'd legit join a scuba club if I was a better swimmer

No real need. The lifejacket-looking thing all divers wear is a buoyancy compensator, and fully inflatable (either off the tank, or blowing it up). Everyone swims fine with fins on as well. I ended up getting far enough into diving that I've now got a professional rating (Divemaster) through PADI. If you've got any questions about scuba in general, there's an active A/T thread going on with plenty of divers, ranging from people who just finished their basic open water course all the way up to the various instructor levels. And lots of pretty pretty pics, because getting into a staring contest with a barracuda (and having a pic of it showing off its teeth) is a solid addition to any nature photo collection :swoon:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

timma85 posted:

Did anyone make a bong or pipe out of scuba equipment? Because that would be the sort of club I would join.

I don't think so. The hoses are hard to clean and semi-expensive to replace, and the mouthpieces have a few sensitive valves that fail in the loudest possible way if disturbed. I'm sure it could be done, but making a gravity bong from a 5-gallon water jug and a trash can would probably be cheaper and more effective.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had free pizza in ours today :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

not caring here posted:

Unfortunately the majority of the actual vets are insufferable motard gently caress nuts who can't let go of the military but I don't have to interact them.

This keeps me from being active in our student veterans club, but I show up often enough that they don't question me when I wander in for the occasional free meal.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I took an 18 year old back home after a crew party last night. I called her "Bud Light" all night because she drank trash beer and then I beat her at arm wrestling. How the gently caress did that happen?

Moving on...

I'm trying to sign up and be a club officer with our scuba club, which is thankfully not under investigation for anything (yet). I'll get to plan trips/charters, this should be a little more fun :) Our rec center is running spring break trips to various places to go kayaking, hiking, etc. I've been on a kayaking trip with them before that was pretty chill, give your rec center a look and see if they offer anything like that if you're looking for a little something to get into. Also, the kind of person that is interested in leading a kayaking trip will likely know exactly where to find some good weed if you don't have a good local hookup yet.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Back in high school I worked in the public access TV station we had, and we videotaped a few WWII vets telling their stories. One dude came in and told me about the time they had a German bunker that couldn't be cracked. They didn't want to take the door and risk casualties and the Germans wouldn't give up despite being surrounded. So they poured a bunch of gas/diesel down the ventilation shaft and dropped a satchel charge in and that was that. Dude told the story like he was telling me what he ate for breakfast the previous day.

:stare:

I'd heard of similar stories from the Pacific, where Japanese soldiers were so entrenched in caves/bunkers that our soldiers/marines couldn't dig them out. Instead of fighting it out, they would plug any ventilation holes they could find and call in the flamethrowers to light everything up they could see. If the smoke inhalation didn't kill everyone inside, the burning napalm drew enough oxygen out of the air to kill them outright or make them pass out (then die of smoke inhalation).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

rifles posted:

I've had a few internship offers

I enlisted after reading GIP for like three years so need I say more about dumb decisions???

good on them for being willing to take on special-needs cases like yours :unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

And I will never take advise, legal or otherwise, from goons.

So this is the root of the attitude that leads people to enlist after a bunch of us here repeatedly tell them "don't loving do it" :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TBeats posted:

Maybe you should just....

tattle on me to a mod

Or kill yourself. Then you don't have to read my posts anymore.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Making sudafed from meth, because buying meth is easier than buying sudafed at this point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

shyduck posted:

I don't go to the vets lounge anymore.

I don't either. We had an influx of stupid one year, and the problem hasn't quite sorted itself out yet. I show up often enough to where they don't question it when there's free food involved, though.