Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Hi guys I'm a student vet now. Better than AD A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone here have experience with applying for unemployment while using the post 9/11 GI Bill? I know lawmakers made this a no go due to their "gently caress the troops" policy, but also the department of labor didn't kick out guidance (as far as I know) and it's a state level thing. I'm in California so if there's anywhere that would be ok with it this is probably it, but wanted to see what you guys know. Figured I would ask here versus the vets resource thread since students and all.

Taking all science and math after spending five years inhaling burning trash and doing lovely construction is hard, also.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The EDD resources stated that you are eligible as a student provided you look and accept work if you are able to, they don't rule out benefits solely due to student status. Just wanted to know if anyone had done this first hand.

The application has a section regarding school/job training. The programs listed for educational training do not include the GI Bill, they don't ask about it anywhere, just your schedule.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah just have to maintain your eligibility status and everything. Nothing they haven't seen a bunch of times already I'm guessing. I'll report back when I find out.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I had it back in 08-09, I mailed stuff in they sent me a benefits pack and money. They just have you fax it in as a vet with your 214 info included. If it's anything like my past experience they'll just make a determination. We'll see.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Follow up - you can use the post 9/11 GI Bill and get unemployment in California. You can also go kind of crazy trying to figure the gently caress out what's going on with naming compounds in chemistry. Namaste.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm just in intro now since they don't let me go straight to gen chem :( I'm looking forward to O-chem, can't be that bad. This stuff is making sense, it just involves more work than I want to do since my last job had no standards and no performance marks to hit. I'm out of practice.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah it sucks because it literally pushes my entire timeline out a semester. I already have degrees so I can only take classes applicable to a degree program so if I'm doing pre-med stuff I'll literally be making up my units for full time benefits by taking every math and physics course I can towards the end. I mean not the worst outcome since I get to go learn, but still kind of "what the gently caress"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Are any of you cool chemistry cats down to answer questions from a vet who is trying to learn this stuff, but inhaled burning trash and got micro-concussions from machine guns? Just like super basic stuff, I have a decent handle on the material but now and again an obvious piece is not clicking and I am so stoked on the instruction I'm asking here. Namaste.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

How many grams of an ionic compound contains X amount of atoms of an element in the compound

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah I thought along those lines and keep up getting WTF, here's the problem

How many grams Al(NO3)3 contain 3.22x10^22 nitrogen atoms? The answer is given (3.80g) but I can not for the life of me get there. The molar mass of Al(NO3)3 is 213

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Well that makes more sense. So I was running 3.22x10^22/6.022x10^23 then multiplying by 213 and trying to figure out the g of N via the percent comp of N3 in the molar mass. Thank you.

Ok so what I was doing (.0535 x 213g) came out to 11.4. If I divide that by 3 to account for the 3 nitrogen I get 3.8g. Is that another way to do this and I was just missing that last step, or am I just having fun with numbers and that's a happy coincidence?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 25, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The Aardvark posted:

If you multiplied by 213, just had to divide by 3 since 3 nitrogen. Just a manipulation of the order of steps is all.

Last question, why are we breaking N down by 3, why aren't we trying to find it for N3? I'm confused as heck why it is being found for the individual N when it's N3 in the compound.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Got it. Thank you for the help, I may be throwing more questions out here. Especially considering since I'm going to try and bang out inorganic 1 and 2 over the summer. Because why have free time?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I did, I thought that's what it was since there's inorganic and organic chemistry as fields? I dunno, that's how it got told to me when I was younger by my aunt the organic chemist PhD and my uncle the inorganic chemist PhD.

They worked for the DOD their entire careers. They died of a cancer linked directly to a chemical they used to clean glassware. This was all to win the Cold War so I guess it's good they are dead and not seeing what's going on now? I dunno. That's my story.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Wow, I'm learning a lot here. So gen chem 1 and 2 over the summer. Ok thanks crew, this was super helpful.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Learning update - I'm starting to get really down with this chem and math thing, despite how it makes my brain feel like it is on fire. Is that normal?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I consulted another forums user and professional math doer asking if how I was putting off other studying to do math, doing the same problem over and over because I miss a minus sign, getting overly caffeinated and sweating, working for hours straight and being up with racing thoughts at night about the stuff I'm working on was unusual and he said that meant I was starting to get it. So, this is going to be a fun few years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My biggest collegiate regret as a young Buildings was I didn't go ham and get a BS in Anthro. Have you considered that? You can carbon date bones and teeth. For decades.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Libre is solid. I use that instead of even bothering with Officep

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Chem crew, question, if I'm finding number of atoms of O in CO2 for 16.0g of the compound, it's going to be grams CO2 to moles CO2 to atoms and then it's the percent ratio of O2 in CO2 for the final answer, yeah? Or am I off the mark? Apologies if not explained well. I had a chem exam and it may have gone very poorly, the multiple choice did at least.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Isn't that a total of atoms of C and O2, though? How is that just the O atoms?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I'm just going to DM you I don't know if this is a productive derail for the thread.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got 72%. The ratios are easy as h*ck, I just don't understand how you take the molar mass of CO2 to get the atoms of O2 and like, don't isolate the O from C.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

My system just cancelled all in person classes moving to virtual only, and summer is online/virtual only. I sincerely hope they figure out how to make the science and math work because otherwise I'm kinda screwed education plan wise. Not that running gen chem and calc online would be fun, but gently caress man, I just want to learn.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

When is BAH issued for the post 9-11? I've been out since 27JAN, in school the whole time and gotten no BAH. Is there a 30 day lag or something or should I assume they hosed up?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

At what point would you guys recommend I assume they hosed up and get on it, like end of April?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got a mailer packet and they gave me a book stipend and paid my tuition, that the same or is this contingent on email specific?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Cool thanks guys

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I got the email. I just forgot how slow the government moves in my brief time out. Thanks for all the answers guys.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Closing the comms loop on why I didn't get BAH. I was still AD in the system. Of course!

Re: online transition, no anxiety but it is a challenge in that I fall in to my worst habits regarding study and work. Physically going to class provided me with a lot of regimentation that I don't naturally recreate.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

JUST GO DO FINANCE CRIME ALREADY

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Phys. Anthro is pretty mellow, you don't get in to any of the crazy stuff until upper division biological anthro. That gets out of control fast.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

two weeks out from doing gen chem 1 and calc 1 in six weeks total. should be fun. at least i can't go outside anwyay

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In theory intro chem should have me pretty good to go for gen 1. Calc I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my rear end kicked

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I dropped calc and now realize had I run chem and calc at the same time online in six weeks I would have had a bad time and also probably not done too well. All chem all the time!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Chemistry update - genuinely upset that we aren't in the lab doing bunsen burners and fume hoods and elements and acids :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

In the event any chemistry goons are lurking I could use some help on some basic stuff because my brain doesn't believe in working right

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Is there a preferred way to make comms? I've got an excess reactant question I'm loving up, and also a concentration for an acid neutralization. And also other things. Because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I hate my life, I'm freaking out and I am near a panic attack. Is this the chemistry way?