Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I mean that sounds like a pretty decent party to me... (also it inspired the "this mouthfeel is haram" joke, which I still think about and laugh sometimes).

Actually though I've been super reticent to sign up for clubs and stuff like that going back to school. At Med school a ton of them are for "exposure" anyways, which isn't something I need a ton of, relative to kids coming straight out of undergrad into the medical field. Maybe a different scenario, but I just sort of feel like a lot of those student orgs are filling needs I don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

a good friend of mine is a horse girl and she is incredibly hot, batshit insane and fucks like there is no tomorrow there thats my horse girl story

That's a pretty standard horse-girl experience. They tend to be pretty wild, but not uh, 'long-term material.'

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was in 2 clubs, scuba and archery. Both were pretty solid, made some great friends, good places to score weed. 10/10, would get stoned out of my mind on a dive trip again.

Actually yeah I would join both those clubs

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you aren't engaging with your professors by asking them questions or going to office hours you're doing it wrong.

Quoting this, because especially in classes where the grading is subjective, it makes a huge difference when it comes to borderline grades. If you'd aren't hitting up office hours a couple times per semester, you're doing it wrong.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Passed Medical Biochemistry by the skin on my goddamn teeth. Good thing medical school is pass/fail! A P is a P, so on to the next thing.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

I changed majors and there aren't that many classes that I can take right now as everything else is already taken or has calculus and organic chemistry as a prereq. If I use my GI bill to take six credit hours does it use a full semester of it?

The GI Bill goes by days not credit hours (although if you drop below full-time you use full days, but get less BAH). So, the ideal is to take the max number of credits that your school and mental health will allow. Take Organic Chemistry and Calculus if you need them. They aren't as hard as they're made out to be.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Sounds awesome except for the last part.

I mean, if it happened in excess of two times, it starts being awesome again

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah, there's a big difference between schools that are actively looking for veterans and those that aren't. In Philly, Drexel makes a huge noise about their veteran-friendly status, and being there is great. Full unlimited yellow ribbon (which is fantastic in medical school), frequent free lunches for vets associated with on-campus recruiting and networking functions, a nicely appointed vet lounge, and registrars that understand GI Bill issues. Couldn't ask for more.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
My school brought in therapy dogs for us, basically the best day of the year.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

not caring here posted:

Out of the 6 I spotted at the start of the semester - and by spotted I mean they constantly started each sentence with "AS A VETERAN I" - I'm the only one left. No one knows though, and if anyone asks I say I used to work for the government doing pointless bullshit which is completely accurate.

I talk about being a veteran a good bit but only when it's relevant. It comes up every now and then during the regular 'talk about your feelings about _____________' sessions that are part of medical school or when someone asks me how I know how to do basic medical/nursing poo poo like putting in IV lines or doing physical exams. There's another Vet (USMC Infantry) here but he's been out way longer than me and is really chill and low key, and his service experiences were waaaaaay less medically relevant than mine. Apparently he was in Max Uriarte's (Terminal Lance creator) unit in Hawaii though, which is pretty cool.

Through pre-med we had a bunch of vets drop out though, particularly one Artillery officer who thought he was in charge of me because prior O vs E was supposed to mean something. I told him to eat a dick and he failed out of the program at the end of the semester.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

Holy poo poo I never realized that lack of voice modulation was what tied together 90% of the veterans at my school. I knew there was something, but just couldn't put my finger on it.

If you yell loud enough, your voice gets stuck like that apparently.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Zeris posted:

Makes me wish for a GIP meet which I know would actually be a very bad idea

If anybody is in Philly I'd always be down, but gently caress traveling outside my normal radius tbh

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TBeats posted:

i have a professor who loves to give backhanded compliments. i'm not sure she realizes that they are backhanded and i am 100% sure she means well, but telling me "i really admire someone coming back to school when they are almost 30" is both a compliment and a reminder that i'm almost loving 30.

I get a lot of that from my classmates. "but you don't seem like, ooooooold..."

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah gently caress that guy, he didn't just cheat, he actively tried to gently caress you over

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

TBeats posted:

I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

I'm sure 99% of people have uttered the words "hold my beer and watch this trick," but not while driving their family around in a minivan.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
We had a kind of slow Asian dude in one of my units that all the black guys called Toby and I'm pretty sure I was the only non-black person who got the reference or it would have been stopped, but I was a grossly irresponsible NCO and let it slide because I thought it was funny.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

There was a really small Asian dude that came onto the ship halfway through my first deployment as an E5 who was kinda weird. I gave him the nickname "nuprin".

I went to captains mast for that one

Alright I don't get that one

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE ACCOUNTANT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, CHRISTIAN WOLFE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME 50BMG OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TALKING TO WOMEN. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY WENT THROUGH 15 GENERAL LEDGERS IN ONE NIGHT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OFFICE AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE CPAS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL WHILE RACKING MY BARRETT. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

This but actually

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Check the room number again, sometimes exams are held in bigger rooms than normal so you can't cheat.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

App13 posted:

The best way to get someone to stop thanking you for your service is to tell them how much you get for BAH

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The depressing thing is I don't know a single loving vet that actually attended school afterwards

not caring here posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, but a really common theme from combat arms dickheads like myself is that college is for faggots
It really seems like from Navy/USMC Corpsmen were the exception to that rule because in six years, of the dudes I worked with there's three of us in medical school, two or three guys going for their PA and like a dozen or so nurses. Weirdly all the guys who went to C School for advanced tech positions are just working the same job outside, but they're mostly associate degree jobs that pay like $25/h so that isn't terrible.

Of the Marines I knew basically none of them went anywhere, but there's a former grunt in my class, so they exist. There were several AF Vets at Penn while I was there, but I've yet to meet any Army in higher ed since getting out.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I hope you're going to a recruiter's office on Tuesday to reenlist

That's my plan after medical school

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

So this is the root of the attitude that leads people to enlist after a bunch of us here repeatedly tell them "don't loving do it" :(

The difference is if your life sucks badly enough, enlisting isn't a terrible option. Law school (outside of top tier) is mostly a scam at this point.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
And you get to call yourself "Esquire" at least

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I like EndNote personally, but I think it's really a personal preference thing

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
MBA is like 30% about learning stuff and 70% about making connections with other people. Just go business casual the first few days and then adjust accordingly to the group trends. You don't want to be the odd man out, and reading the situation is part of the skill set you should be getting from the program.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you do the laptop or iOS device just get Wolfram Alpha. It's better than a calculator IMO.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

lightpole posted:

I get free mental health with tuition right?

They usually have a discounted or covered student insurance, you should look it up to see what yours covers. Mine is pretty decent actually, and covers mental health stuff pretty thoroughly.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
FWIW I got into actual medical school (mid-tier MD program) with a sociology BA and good grades in all the science pre-reqs (plus a few upper division cancer/cell bio electives to prove I wasn't a chump). The few programs that care about your degree care in the opposite direction you think - there's a nearly endless supply of hard science turbonerds and a lack of applicants with any depth or breadth of experience outside of biology/chemistry, and those people tend to make better doctors/pas/nps. Get good grades so you get an interview; do poo poo you're interested in and can talk about with a degree of passion and engagement so you can nail the interview and get the acceptance.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 31, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

milk milk lemonade posted:

gently caress that these guys with tinnitus need free MacBooks drat it

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Using the GI Bill for professional graduate programs owns so hard it's incomprehensible. My program is full yellow ribbon, so my GI Bill has paid out effectively $150k so far and I still have six months of benefits (that I'm hoping will last me through the end of next year). My goal is to get $200k worth of school out of it when all is said and done.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
You can't get two GI bills, but you could do a GI Bill and a scholarship for graduate school if you're doing something like medicine or PA school.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm going to run out of GI Bill at the end of year two of medical school, and I'm thinking of applying for the Public Health Service scholarship. I don't feel like I'd mind working on an NA Res, and I can't see how the dumb bullshit level can approach anything like military levels.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Getting a second bachelor's instead of pursuing a masters is the "enlisting with a degree" of the collegiate world.

I did both lol

Enlisted as a corpsman with a sociology degree a couple days after the 2008 collapse, got out and got a biochem second bachelors to get into Med school. It worked out ok though, I'm pretty happy with both those decisions actually*. Medicine rules.

*other than the original social science BA, which was dumb and useless

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2017

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Don't motivation-shame. I spent a good bit of the summer studying for this fall too, except a little trip to Norway.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're doing an MBA that's not a strong start. Go find a barber, Jesus.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I've stopped wondering when the VA/my school will get their poo poo together, and now I just make sure I save up a bunch of money to tide me over for the first month or two of the semester while I wait for payments to kick in. It happens like this every time, so I just deal.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

the GI Bill doesn't allow for Doctorates I think.

It's paying for my MD so I don't see why not.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're a vet going for an MBA you owe it to yourself to apply to Wharton. Penn gives hilarious levels of Vet preference, provides unlimited Yellow Ribbon, and a Wharton MBA is the fast track to "I'm hella rich, motherfuckers." Granted, Penn is full of some of the biggest turbocunts you'll ever meet, but the academic workload to "networking event" (bottle service at a night club) balance is so absurdly tilted towards meeting the people you need to know that you'll probably not care, and even if you do, you can cry yourself to sleep over your $250k/y McKinsey job offer when you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vains posted:

that is dope because
1- i live in philly
2- i need an escape plan from my company. there's like 28 people at the same level as me and 3 people above us. those 3 people are all younger than 50. that math isnt working out in my favor.

I did a hard science masters at Penn before heading to one of the larger med schools in Philly (not Penn). I know it's really dumb, but I feel super guilty about not going back into the military and paying forward all the help and mentoring that doctors/nurses/PAs gave me along the way to the next generation of corpsmen. Going back in would be extra strength stupid, so I won't, but I just feel like I never really gave back, with the exception of hearing damage and orthopedic injuries. What I'm saying is, if you need any help with applying or whatever, I'd be glad to help you out.