Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Research is so boring and is the worst. I did a year of research at HUP in Philly and at the end right when we submitted our manuscript a bunch of papers came out that the scale we had been using to gauge prior risk and outcomes was useless bullshit and our whole project got gutted. I spent months doing data analysis and all that data work got chopped on edits because it all relied on that scale, so my name got chopped from the manuscript and I didn't get a publication out of a year of work and I was like "welp gently caress research forever it sucks." That's why I'm hoping to match to an ER residency, ER people don't give a poo poo if you research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Suck somebody's dick and get an EM residency at Shock Trauma.

You show me the right dick, I’ll know what to do

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

lightpole posted:

Please read at a high level even if you are a stem major. It's only been 6 or so weeks but the constantly poo poo english and poorly written studies are killing me.

This never goes away. When American high schools start pumping out students in any reasonable number who are intellectually and dispositionally prepared to study science then you’ll get studies that are written by people working in their first languange. Until then, welp

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

Does anyone have tips for dealing with insomnia/making sure you knock out by 10? I need some poo poo that isn't "read a book like 2 hours before" or "drug yourself with OTC sleep meds 2 hours before." I'm not always going to be at home early enough to do the first part (though it helps greatly) and the second part just has me groggy. Can't find the article either but apparently knockout drugs tank the quality of sleep you get so you aren't as refreshed as you would be otherwise. I do my best to practice good sleep hygiene like the doc told me to but this coming semester I got a late class that'll have me home by 9 at best and I'm up by 4 the next day. If the previously mentioned advice is all there is, then gently caress it. I'm gonna take these meds and force the issue. I got strong af coffee to deal with morning groggyness and enough alarm clocks in the house to wake up a barracks full of retards.

What do? I just wanna loving sleep when I'm supposed to. I remember being able to sleep anytime, anywhere when I was in. What happened to that superpower?

One of the biggest things is turning off screens a good 90+ minutes from the time you intend to be asleep, more if possible. Electronic screens blast you with specific wavelengths of light that really mess with your circadian rhythm and inhibit the sleep process. If you're studying late, switch to text and notes for your last few hours of studying. Beside that, there's regulating wake-up time, getting more exercise, shifting your meals later (hunger inhibits sleep-promoting hormones), cutting back on stimulants and all the other usual culprits.

EDIT: A mental trick I learned from a 'mindfulness' seminar (whatever, medical school is stressful as gently caress) is to lay still, breathe rhythmically, and focus on relaxing all the muscles in my toes, then feet, then calves, then upwards etc. It's kind of like counting sheep. Works pretty well for me but I still take melatonin most nights because my stimulant intake is pretty irresponsible.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 2, 2018

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Zeris posted:

I got your PM and will reply soon; I’ve been working this weekend.

Columbia is good poo poo but it’s not an exception to a rule that the university recruiters and admin are criminal in downplaying: you have to know what you want to do before you come here, and plan your time out. Your career starts as soon as you get the acceptance letter. It’s not about staying in the library til 11pm every night - but there are vital things (internships, coursework, etc) that “I went to Columbia” simply wont substitute for.

A lot of vets at the school are under the illusion their diploma will do all of the selling needed to get a good job. Nope.

Yeah but even those people are better off than if they had done the same bullshit at some random local university.

EDIT: can someone DM me an invite to the GiP Discord?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Well I got my final VA letter saying that I have exhausted my MGIB benefits. Counting Yellow Ribbon it was worth just over $240,000 in total. Errybody get out, errybody use your GI Bill. Go to full unrestricted yellow ribbon schools, because LMAO this poo poo was thoroughly good. I should be able to finish my MD with under $90,000 in debt if I scrimp a bit here and there next year.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Did you use Post 9/11 or Voc Rehab? If you've only used 36 months you potentially have more benefits remaining.

I used Post-9/11 but am not disabled. Another 12 months would be amazing, but oh well.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Im coming up on the end of the second year of medical school and I've never felt so burned out in my life. There's a huge exam (USMLE Step 1) at the end of the summer and the generally accepted advice is you need about a month of straight 10-12h days to prepare. I have no idea how I'm going to maintain motivation.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

mine was "people have died for the opportunity to get the GI Bill and i would be disrespecting their memory if i didn't take full advantage of this."

lol they fell for it.

This got me into a mid-tier MD program, y’all should try it some time if you haven’t yet. Took my pre-clinical comprehensives yesterday, hardest loving exams of my life by a wide mile, much tougher than the MCAT. But god/graders willing I will begin my clinical years in June. Making moves.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

So far I've gotten an A+, an A-, and ROTC is an automatic A. I also got a A from the winter session that counts for the spring semester. I'm waiting on two professors to turn in grades, of which I'm expecting a B from one. The other is anything from B+ to A because that's how up in the air that professor is.

That's a pretty strong showing for the Columbia admissions folks right? I think this poo poo might work out.

Wait why are you in ROTC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Now the really lovely part is staring down the barrel of re-taking A&P I/II, Micro, and Gen Chem I then Gen Chem II, Orgo I, and Biochem before I can really seriously think of applying to PA programs. Ooorrr deal with graduating and finding either a post-grad nursing program or a second bachelor's.

Hey I know this is a kind of old post but if you need any help with pre-med or PA/Nursing classes or applications please hit me up on the GiP discord, my name there is TQW. I'm a 4th year medical student now and I would be happy to help any mil/vet goons trying to break into the civilian medical game.