Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I left for the Navy during first semester of what would have been senior year. I had to jump back in at Diff Eq's and Multi-variable and there is 0 chance I would have succeeded without the people at Everett (WA) CC being good at their jobs. Otherwise I would have came back to Penn State and had another junior math prof that didn't give a poo poo and who knows what would have happened.

I went to Everett. Bolan & Washburn are fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Grad school plus kids.

CHALLENGE MODE ACTIVATED

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Does anyone have experience applying for an extension of their GI Bill delimiting date? The recent VR&E change means I suddenly have some extra entitlement that I'm not going to be able to use up in time.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I've been done with voc rehab for a few years. I'm doing a master's now. They changed GI Bill so that your voc rehab time doesn't count against it anymore. So I suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill time that is about to hit the fifteen year limit.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/07/new-va-education-rule-allows-some-vets-get-multiple-degrees.html

military.com posted:

"Effective April 1, 2021 VA will not count veteran entitlement used in the Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program against the 48-month rule for education programs like the post-9/11 GI Bill," a VA spokesperson said in a statement.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
That was my approach. After talking to the GI Bill hotline, I had to ask the school to put my program in for GI Bill approval, since they're lazy and only put programs in as they're needed. After that, they'll put in the past two semester's studies.

We'll see if I get paid.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
You can't "save" VR&E. Your Post 9/11 GI Bill time burns VR&E time. It's not true the other way around, now that they've changed the 48-month rule.

The next bit is important:

USE VR&E FIRST

edit: I'm sorry to say that poster below me is wrong about GI Bill vs. VR&E time. Definitely right about doing VR&E first. Just read the entire thread.

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 5, 2021

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If I got this wrong, let me know, but this was a recent change.

https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ posted:

Changes to the “48 Month Rule” for VR&E and EDU Beneficiaries

April 7, 2021 8:00 AM

Effective April 1, 2021, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) no longer counts the use of Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) benefits (chapter 31) against the 48-month limit on GI Bill education benefits such as the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The use of GI Bill education benefits will continue to count against the 48-month limit on VR&E benefits. 

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Grip it and rip it posted:

I don't imagine that change is retroactively applied, huh?

It is. If you used VR&E and not GI Bill, you suddenly have a bunch of GI Bill eligibility you didn't have before.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
My school has been failing to get my masters program approved for GI Bill since May.

What a clownshow.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

Mehsticles posted:

Would there happen to be anyone here currently studying overseas through VA benefits? My partner is currently studying here in the UK, however has been told that due to the US gvt wanting access to some form of data of any US students at the school, and UK schools not wanting to play ball, all VA funding for overseas will be pulled as the UK considers it illegal to provide this (who'da thought it). As the funding is done yearly rather than it being approved as a 3 / x year course, they simply won't be able to afford the additional years of study here.

So my partner is one year into a degree they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford (couldn't without VA benefits), and we seem to just be poo poo out of luck. Their student visa will be rescinded also, so it appears we're going to have to look at getting married a bit sooner (and their finding something they want to do other than study here). They don't particularly want to move back to the US, and I currently have some medical issues that I wouldn't be able to afford having in the USA. Re funding, It's a niche problem to have, so google doesn't return much on it.

The university says nothing they can do, it is not legal for them to provide the data, and that's that (fair). The VA, well. Doesn't appear to say much at all. Has anyone else heard of this? Or can think of anything we might not have?

This is a problem at a lot of non-US schools right now. I know one group collecting stories and lobbying for a legislative fix. You can reach them at VeteransCaucus@democratsabroad.org

Dorstein fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 10, 2021

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

maffew buildings posted:

got an a in o chem 2

gonna go cry now that was rough

Nice.

Me too, back then.

Still have occasional visions of boat-chair flips despite not doing any chemistry for a decade.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Mendeley is owned by evil Elsevier. Zotero is run by hippie librarians. Use Zotero for your citation management needs!

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

McNally posted:

I haven't even gotten my disability pay yet which is weird because it usually hits last day of the month.

Same.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
I called the GI Bill line the other day and they said 25 days to process a new GI Bill case right now, so I think you and I have another couple weeks to wait, McNally.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

I guess the first question is: what are your goals? Do you know what kind of degree you want? Are you shooting for a certain kind of job?

Hooking up with the local veteran's office at the institutions you're interested in is probably a good start.

Edit: Vocational Rehabilitation before GI Bill is a big one now, since it comes from a different pot of eligibility. GI Bill burns voc rehab time but not the other way around, so definitely do voc rehab first if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm not going to lie, the 4 months I spent at Everett Community College in Snohomish County (WA) were among the most valuable learning experiences of my life.

Everett is low-key a really good school.