Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Anyone involved in Formula SAE? I'm at a point in my studies where I might actually Know A Thing about design and materials so I've been curious about joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

use you loving bennies and your brain and cleverness, guys, I think I just got an engineering research internship at NASA

veteran preference is no joke

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

App13 posted:

What's your GPA? I'm worried about getting an internship because I'm sitting at a 2.8 :|

Mine's a 3.8, which also helps. Even still, apply where you can because you'd still get hiring preferences.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Comparing textbook prices with my roommate, India gets their books for cheap (i.e. reasonable prices) compared to the insanity that is the U.S. market for textbooks. For one book I selected, it would run you about $225 from Amazon.com, but the same one from Amazon.in is about ₹1100, or $16 USD. Amazon.in won't ship that to US addresses, for obvious reasons, but why not just have it sent to a mail forwarding service in India? Even with expedited shipping, that'd still be far cheaper.

The especially funny thing is that even buying it from Amazon.in, it would still ship from a store in the US. :wtc:

Book reselling is a pretty major operation on Amazon regardless, I've bought NO RESALE OUTSIDE OF INDIAN SUBCONTINENT books for peanuts from US vendors. It's the same book but in grayscale and paperback, you just gotta look. Unfortunately sometimes the books will be like in SI units only and slightly different.

It's pretty loving shameless, they know full well that dumb ignorant Yankees will lament their $300 books but poor Indians still need books too so we'll just sell the same thing for vastly different prices.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think the veterans in my class all just sorta telepathically know, like brother you're muscular and bearded, as I am, as is the hombre with a nondescript yet somewhat tactical backpack, no need to even ask or bring it up.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

You guys wondering about paying for stuff: you're doing FAFSA every year right? Bennies aren't taxable income and if you're living off the GI Bill your income should be pitiful enough to qualify for full Pell grants. Save that grant money to pay for the cost of living/housing/tuition once your bennies run out, depending on your school it should be enough to at least only make you worry about what to eat, and not being homeless.

I'm doing some high-paying internships this year though so the days of grant monies are probably over for me. If you plan things out smart enough I bet you could stretch grants and the GI bill to pay all the way up to a Master's if not scratch into a PhD.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 11, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Unless it's the actual honor society for your major, don't bother with any sort of honor society. If anything, just put you were invited to join on your resume. Putting that vs you joined shows employers not only are you smart enough to be invited, but you're also smart enough to know better than to give those people money.

Even if its the society for your major, if you're THAT smart you likely don't even need the benefits it entails as far as networking goes. If you for some reason never did any internships and are close to graduating you might think about it. I've already done a few internships and those emails go straight to the junk folder.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So apparently, even if you are only taking one credit hour of full-time internship, schools still count you as being "full time" so I just got a big grant I was not expecting.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Don't stay in school to get a master's/phd you dorks, get a job that will pay you to get a master's/phd for free. UNLESS you reaallllly reallllly like academia and research and want your names on white papers.

The way I see it, the later you enter the workforce the less lifetime earning you make, that could be the difference of having an airplane or sailboat when you retire.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 13, 2017

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Jobs that pay for a masters+ aren't exactly common though.

Like many things it depends on your industry.

That's true, I know in engineering at least every organization I have worked with encourages you to pursue higher education on their dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Whenever I have group projects I tend to just do it all myself, gently caress letting some stupid kid be responsible for my own grade. Though recently I have had projects with some friends who I trust so it's been nice sharing the workload.