Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

Master's is the standard working degree for geologists, so you can have learned some kind of specialty beyond the standard rock-knowledge undergrad.

I've done a pretty poor job of undergrad and don't really like it anymore, so I've decided I'd rather make $13/hr as an "environmental tech" or whatever than try to do grad school right now. I don't really know how it works or if it will even be an option anymore in five years, but I seriously simply would not succeed at it if I got shoved into it right now. I don't think taking a few years to work and figure out what my field is will help, either lol

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Also its IE 7 only

App13
Dec 31, 2011

GD_American posted:

The position I applied for is a GS-11. It's basically a budget slash HR position.

The announcement said if you're solely using education as the criteria, it wants a PhD.

I was warned ahead of time that I had to be in uniform to sign out on terminal leave.

Yep GS-11 is PhD land, GS-9 if you’re in a highly educated area.

At my job they just hired on 2 GS-5’s with masters degrees and a bunch of experience, a a GS-9 with her PhD and postdoc experience. It’s insane.

To put this in perspective, GS5 pays like $17/hr here and it’s a scientific research agency with fierce competition

DownByTheWooter posted:

thanks

I sometimes see a few jobs here and there that seem like I am qualified for (or will be next year with a degree in hand) on the usajobs. I'd like to get in around GS-5, maybe like a pathways internship or whatever.

Pathways internships are dope and definitely the way to go if you’re still in school. I graduate in May and already have a full time position in my dream agency thanks to completing my pathways program

App13
Dec 31, 2011

DownByTheWooter posted:

I've seen a lot of Pathways positions that were for recent grad or early-arc grad students, too but building resume and applying to stuff now won't hurt. I don't think I can really work until my classes are over, though. I'm just barely surviving my studies as it is.

The hiring process takes about 4 months on average so I would keep that in mind when you start applying places!

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo. A guy I used to work with is a retired master sgt with a high school degree and he's a GS-13.

Yeah it’s loving insane. People just want to get into the agency and they’re willing to take a 50% pay cut to do it. Myself included

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Good lord, now I'm starting to feel bad about my 5.5 year undergrad degree with a 2.7ish GPA.

Granted I had a MARVELOUS time