Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’d like to actually make some money and dgaf if it means not wearing shorts and flip flops daily.

https://youtu.be/sZHCVyllnck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Look at all of you with your college campuses and business casual. I am spending my tuition assistance dollars on the finest online education the Marine Corps will pay for. Nothing like pretending like mandatory message boards posts are teaching me something.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I got the award dates for my Pell Grant mixed up and didn't apply for tuition assistance this semester. I have two 8 week quarters and I usually take two classes at a time year round. I put off taking Biology as long as I could because I am over 100 credits into this degree. So I was looking at paying around 1900 dollars out of pocket for these two classes.

The strangest sequence of luck finds me the recipient of a first generation scholar scholarship for 1600 bucks. They split it up to pay 800 this semester and 800 next semester. Then I found out that my Pell Grant was doubled this semester too. The net result is that I am getting refunded the 1900 for school this semester and getting a check for an additional 500 bucks.

Now I have 4500 dollars worth of military tuition assistance left this fiscal year and will use that to pay for the rest of my classes. Because of my scholarship and grants, I can use the tuition assistance to cover everything and get a 2300 dollar check in January and a 1500 dollar check in March and a 1500 dollar check in June.

Getting paid to go to college is cool.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I struggle with working full time and doing undergrad stuff with all of my free time. My life for the past year and a half has been work, school work, sleep. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though since I will finally have this degree by this summer.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The Aardvark posted:

Smashed my last final for undergrad. :feelsgood:

Now for NOAA to call me back!

Congrats! I still have a semester left before I am finished.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Queen Combat posted:

Just got letters from the VA stating my GI bill housing allowance has been 131.70 too much per month since starting school, and they expect payment back. States that in January 2018 the rate changed to be BAH rate instead of GI bill rate per zip code, but "oops our bad" we paid you the GI bill rate even after the regulation changed.

One final gently caress you from the army :negative:

You should be able to contest the charges on the grounds that the overpayment error was not the result of anything you submitted but instead someone somewhere processing your claim. If you can make a case that repayment would be a severe burden on you financially they may waive it.

I’ve seen it happen for BAS overpayment while I was on ship. The admin office got audited and all of the Marines assigned to ships wound up owing thousands in overpayment. My claim was denied but anyone who could show that paying the money back would mean hardship got the repayment waived.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Congrats Holly Bloops and Queen Combat! I have a semester left and am eagerly anticipating having some semblance of free time again. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel at least.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone here have experience with applying for unemployment while using the post 9/11 GI Bill? I know lawmakers made this a no go due to their "gently caress the troops" policy, but also the department of labor didn't kick out guidance (as far as I know) and it's a state level thing. I'm in California so if there's anywhere that would be ok with it this is probably it, but wanted to see what you guys know. Figured I would ask here versus the vets resource thread since students and all.

Taking all science and math after spending five years inhaling burning trash and doing lovely construction is hard, also.

I am pretty sure you can collect unemployment and use the GI Bill here in California. THIS article agrees and gives instructions for how to collect the benefit.

edit- there is a blurb about some states considering full time student status as not being able to work. I don't think this is true in California but it might be easier to just not mention the full time student thing when applying for unemployment.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 9, 2020

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I waited until I was 100 credits into my degree before completing the required 1 credit "Introduction to Research" class that the school refused to waive. By that point I'd already finished 3 academic writing classes and a history class that was primarily writing essays, so I was fairly familiar with research and APA and MLA citations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I filed my taxes and claimed the American Opportunity Tax Credit this year. So even though tuition assistance and a First Generation Scholarship paid for all of my expenses, by claiming $2,500 of the scholarship money as taxable income (I paid 309 dollars in taxes on it), I qualified for a $2,500 dollar tax reduction.

Even if you owe no taxes at all, you can still get up to $1000 back. Just something to think about for those of you who haven't filed taxes yet.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Suntan Boy posted:

What do you all use for word processing alternatives these days? For the first time in eons, i don't have a school provided email address, and I'll be damned if I'm actually going to shell out for MS Office.

I buy cheap MS Office keys off of Goons in SA mart. For less than the price of a video game, I can get the entire Office suite and the savings from using something else isn’t worth the effort it’d take to learn how to use it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cojawfee posted:

Keys? How often do you have to buy Office?

I have five computers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

US Berder Patrol posted:

Not letting University of Phoenix swindle troops out of their GI Bill sounds cool to me

Yeah gently caress that place. The degree is worthless to almost any employer anyway.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GD_American posted:

Imagine hiring someone with an online MBA

What’s wrong with an online MBA again? UC Berkeley sends me fliers about their Online Masters in Computer Science.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GD_American posted:

I view online degrees from any school, no matter the prestige of the name, as equivalent to a U of Phoenix degree. Maybe public perception has shifted, I don’t know. Just my opinion.

I spent a lot of time and effort working towards a degree through UMUC (or University of Maryland Global Campus now). Some of it was in person and some of it was online. As an actual adult with a family and a job, there was zero chance of me just saying, “whelp some guy on the internet doesn’t think this format is prestigious enough so I am going to retire and then spend four years at a regular school as a student in my forties”.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I did an online lab for Biology in a 4 credit class I took. It's not chemistry but I know that at least it's doable with some of the labs.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am not done until summer semester. Two more months to go.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

not caring here posted:

Last semester i had some bullshit intro to programming course to sit through and the professor just bounced for about 6 weeks after lockdown hit and every got an A so that was dope.

If you are still on the cs track there is a Caverns of COBOL discord that has been super helpful for me throughout my degree plan.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MrDesaude posted:

Lorain County Community College.

https://www.lorainccc.edu/engineering/bas-mems/

All the cool poo poo of an Engineering Degree, without the Math you will never use in the field.

I used to live in Elyria and recruited out of Lorain. My condolences on living somewhere that looks like it was probably a decent place back in the 50s until all the jobs left and everything decayed. LCCC is actually a really good school though and should be used as an example of what a low bloat institution of higher learning can be.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hmm, looks like I have just under 6 months of GI bill benefits I meed to use to get my kicker back. Any suggestions on how to do so? Guess I could enroll at the local college full time for a coding bootcamp or some poo poo. Maybe just save it to use for relocation purposes of I ever have to move without having a job lined up

You are going to go to school for six months so you can get back like 3,000 dollars? That seems like a substantial investment for very little return.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I used this goon for a resume but he does CVs and academic writing as well: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510

I wound up tweaking a bunch of stuff over the months as I got a better feel for the industry I was shifting into but I wouldn't have even been close if I'd tried it on my own.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You should immediately spend all of the money because there is no way anyone accidentally overpaid you and will come back looking to collect the difference in the future.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

I got a bachelors degree in computer science at 39. You’ll be fine. Are you planning on using your GI Bill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m a 100% P&T vet, apparently that entitles my wife and kids for Chapter 35 benefits. 36 months of them.

My question: How much does Chapter 35 pay? And is that 36 month eligibility bucket per dependent or for all dependents?

Hey I just had the same conversation with the VA rep.

Chapter 35 will pay out like 36 months of Post 9/11 G.I. Bill including the BAH and book stipend. It's one 36 month bucket and not per dependent.

Edit - I should also mention that your spouse has a 10 year window that starts when you received your P&T rating to use the benefits. I am unclear on whether that's the window to start the benefits or if they all need to be used within that time frame.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 6, 2022