Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My accounting exams always go the same. I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing on homework and during class and I'm 99% sure I'm going to bomb the exam, and then I somehow pull off a B.

Btw bonds suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Accounting is a pretty decent program to get into as far as job prospects and median income out of college go. It's just a lot of information to retain and a lot of nuances. I would probably have a 4.73927473937 GPA if I was doing some liberal arts poo poo and just spent my days writing papers.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

That went way too well. Now I'm worried. :stare:

gently caress you get that feeling too?

I just finished some auditing homework that I legit thought would take me several hours but only took me maybe ten minutes. Now I'm thinking I hosed it up royally. And this happens every time an assignment seems easy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i have a professor who loves to give backhanded compliments. i'm not sure she realizes that they are backhanded and i am 100% sure she means well, but telling me "i really admire someone coming back to school when they are almost 30" is both a compliment and a reminder that i'm almost loving 30.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Zeris posted:

So you want a safe space?

No. I think she's funny though.

Like how she always and only calls on the Asian kids to check her math for her.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Happy wife happy life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Take this lit course for your last writing credit they said

It'll be fun they said.

Read Absalom, Absalom! they said.

It's a great book they said.

gently caress you William Faulkner.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

They were all right and you don't know how lucky you are to be able to dedicate a bunch of time to reading and figuring out a fantastic book

The problem is that I had a few exams come up in my accounting courses and I got behind in the reading.

This is NOT a book you want to get behind in. It's overwhelming.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also quickbooks online can suck my dick. Or maybe it's Firefox that can suck my dick.

Either way trial balances can suck my dick.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I equate a long rear end trial balance as an assignment with writing a six page essay and the only feedback you get is "there's one word wrong in this" and you have to correct it before you can get credit for it.

And then Quickbooks/Firefox unexpectedly logged me out of the website and I lost all my work that I had been doing for ~2 hours.

I upended my books and walked off.

I was pisssssssssed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm looking forward to having lengthy conversations with Federalist Society wannabes about the merits of recent American history because getting people blustery makes my dick hard.

Hope I don't get owned too often

"Yeah well that's just like, your opinion, man."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I would probably just make him redo it and if he can't get it done properly and in time, then I would tell the professor.

There's no benefit to ruining his academic life at this point other than vindictiveness.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

print scream key posted:

yeah what's your point?

Unrelated point: Getting voc rehab for my master's and the subsequent retroactive reimbursement for my undergrad GI Bill usage is the tits

That there's nothing to gain from it. He's caught red handed. Calling him on it will probably embarrass him and might set him straight.

Telling the professor could get him kicked out of school depending on how egregious they see the cheating to be. Why not give him a chance to right the ship before possibly ruining the next ~40 years that a college degree could get him?

If he shows no remorse after you call him on it then by all means, tattle.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sure 99% of people have uttered the words "hold my beer and watch this trick," but not while driving their family around in a minivan.

I don't think driving drunk is an apt analogy for cheating in college

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This isn't the military dude. It's not hard to ask for an extension, even on the basis of "my partner hasn't held up his end of the bargain." If you get turned down for it then by all means, explain what you mean by your partner not holding up his end.

But why ruin the guy if there's an alternative that could possibly scare the poo poo out of him?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You honestly can't see how some guy plagiarizing on a group paper is very bad?

Yeah. You don't see how possibly ruining a guy academically for behavior that can be corrected is very bad?

E: Whatever. This is the FYGM world we live in. Keep the trend going instead of trying to fix it I guess.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

I'm already going to take a hit on this report because I had to start the whole thing over. Whatever happens to him is not my concern; what happens to me is. I have not, do not, nor will cheat on anything I put my name on, whether for school or work, because I value my self-worth and reputation too much to just piss it away for saving a few minutes or whatever. I do not want my name to be on anything like that or to be associated with anyone who plays that way.

It's not FYGM, it's "I don't want to get hosed."

That's why you go to the professor and ask for an extension due to your partner not holding up their end, and you show them the work you have done to substantiate what you are saying. If the professor says no, you tell them the reason you were asking is because your partner plagiarized what they gave you, and you wanted to give them a chance to do it properly. If the professor says yes, you get him to do it properly. If he continues not to, you tell the professor the reason you asked for an extension is to give your partner a chance to do things correctly.

Everybody wins in this situation, and you might possibly keep a guy from getting hosed academically instead of finding an alternative that might scare the poo poo out of him and give him the message to get his poo poo straight going forward.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
And it is your concern what happens to him, because going forward you're forever going to be the guy who ratted on someone.

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military. It just balances out because they aren't that way all the time like they are in the military.

It's not hard to, at the very least, attempt to throw the guy a bone.

at the date posted:

(A) Nowhere near 99% of people cheat in college, Jesus Christ. It's not that hard to just do the drat writing yourself. And (2) even if you take the "everybody's doing it" ethical stance, the guy did put his unwitting lab partner in danger of punishment for plagiarism.

They also taught about hyperbole in college.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 16, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

lol

There is practically nothing another college student can do to "backstab" you. College is nothing like the military except that it is also full of 18-21 year old shitheads whose parents didn't beat them enough.

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy. It'll be worth it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

It won't ruin him. It might get him booted from the class at worst, but a first offense won't get him expelled. Probably nothing will happen administratively b/c the professor won't want to do all that paperwork.

You're right.

gently caress you got mine. Ruin the guy's grade in the class. It'll be worth it because there are no other alternatives other than to do all the work yourself anyway after you tell on the guy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

at the date posted:

lol

I'm trying to figure out which way this analogy swings. Was shooting cars full of civilians that trivial, or is ratting out a scumbag plagiarist that serious

it is unnecessary in the grand scheme, is the analogy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

not caring here posted:

You know, I get this up to a point. If you wanna try and copy off my test when you're sitting near me in an exam, whatever, you wanna run that risk good luck. You wanna set up some kind of cheating ring where half the class is cheating off each other, go nuts, I really don't care. Try and use a smart phone, fancy calculator, cheat sheet, write on your leg or hand, whatever, it's your risk, you go right ahead. I'm not gonna narc you out. Best case, you get some easy marks. Worst case, you just hosed yourself. It isn't going to affect me, or anyone else who was wasn't cheating at all (except maybe a few points on a curve grade but whatever)

But when you give someone some lazy, easily google-able poo poo that doesn't even look like the work that is supposed to be turned in, you have just hosed someone else. You run the benefit of getting more marks than having handed in nothing, but you have just dumped all your lovely risk onto someone else, who has done the work. By plagiarizing, you have just actively hosed everyone else in your group. They didn't get a choice, they won't see any benefit, they just unknowingly took on all that risk for literally no reward, that you will then reap assuming you don't get everyone hosed in the process.

Ratting a dude out for having tried to gently caress you isn't loving him over. He just tried to gently caress you over without even a courtesy lick and is quite happy to watch you eat poo poo because he didn't want to do some work.

Basically, if you'll only sink yourself, go ahead. If you're gonna sink other people as well, then gently caress you.

Let's say he got caught plagiarizing. He would be hosed as well. So if he is "trying" to gently caress him, then there is part of this story that we aren't hearing since he would effectively be loving himself as well.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Send your partner an email, tell him to fix this poo poo or he's fried, then go from there. Let the professor know informally about the situation to cover your bases, though maybe downplay the egregiousness of the plagiarism.

The truth is in the middle

this is literally what i suggested lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

This is called middle ground and it is faulty thinking.

You are ALL forgetting military rule #1

C

Y

A

mass punishment was a thing when i was in, so covering your rear end sometimes meant cleaning up after other dumbass makes a mistake and handle everything at the lowest rank possible.

and i still carry that "handle it at the lowest rank/class/status/whatever possible" philosophy because it works out better for everyone that way.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
why are they giving him the questions before the debate

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
drat, if the professor didn't have you sign something like that, then i imagine cheating would be allowed?

or, more than likely, you just sign a piece of fluff that is already explicitly spelled out on the syllabus you get at the beginning of the semester.

were i the jackass who cheated, and you threw me under the bus, i would sure as poo poo make sure it runs over you as well and bitch and moan that you knew the first assignment was plagiarized as well. i wouldn't have anything to lose at that point, so why not?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Took an accounting exam on Monday.

Usually I can gauge how I did. This is the first time all semester where I will be equally surprised by an A as I would a C-.

Got an auditing and business law exam today.

Got a 15 minute presentation to an entire department tomorrow on Absalom, Absalom, which is one of the most difficult books I have ever read.

Every semester since I got to the more difficult accounting courses I have hit a point where I feel like everything is falling apart and I might as well drop out of school.This is that week.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This is the first weekend since some time in January where I don't have a pile of homework. I stayed about an hour later every day this week to get ahead on homework.

I have no idea what to do with myself. I keep feeling like I'm forgetting something :ohdear:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome but I'm beginning to really enjoy my auditing homework. It's like a puzzle but with money.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
one of my professors gives us a list of questions we had through the year for homework. we pick 10 of them.

half of those become our final.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Of course it is, not saying that you should punch a gift-horse in the dick, but it's also a complete joke by academic standards in college.

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Naked Bear posted:

Nah, it was the regular ol' place. These idiots just love showing up at the last second to give me a heart attack. gently caress me, that exam was awful.

I need to go take a walk in the park or something, this poo poo is stressful as gently caress.

I was thinking about it a couple weeks ago and school seems to make me feel more stressed out than the military ever did.

Which doesn't make much sense considering the military stressed me to the point of trying to kill my self.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
How else can I brag about how I got home while too drunk to even remember the drive?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My school puts my fafsa money into my student account regardless if my tuition has been paid. But the VA pays the full tuition and not what my student account says so eventually I get a fat check written to me by the school.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

RichieHimself posted:

I guess people finally heard how dope the new Gi Bill is, congress wants to change it so new privates/airmans/seamans kick in $2400 over their first two years.

On one hand I don't give a gently caress because FYGM SMDFTB if you're still in, but I think it's a bit ridiculous for new vets to expect the public to continue to pay billions so dipshits can get a rhetoric degree (sup Blue Squares, how's that great american novel coming?) in the highest paying BAH zipcode they can find.

http://taskandpurpose.com/exclusive-gi-bill-reform-memorial-day/

i think it is a fair thing to do. i also think they should only allow it for employable degrees. but that would probably lead to a mess of a debate that isn't worth it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Please define "employable degree" cuz we are like two or three posts away from a reddit-esque STEM circlejerk and fart huffing.

in that very post i acknowledged that it is pretty arbitrary and probably not worth trying to talk about

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

App13 posted:

The best way to get someone to stop thanking you for your service is to tell them how much you get for BAH

"Thank you for your service"

"Nah, thank YOU for my three bedroom townhouse."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Now that I think about it I don't know any vet friends save for two? who are in school.

I know some who go to American Northwestern Technical University of Miami Online but I don't count those as "school"

Some are doing some cool poo poo though. One guy flies helicopters for shrimp boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Finals week? Yeah sure, I guess I'll start that 15-20 page paper that's due Thursday.

:(