Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Voc rehab will pay for an accounting masters right? It is 120 to 128 credits to get a bachelors at most schools I think? The Master’s program is 30 credits everywhere I’ve seen. You need 150 credits to get your CPA license. And it’s not a strict requirement to have it to work in accounting but after a certain point it’s expected and it’s the only way you’ll really be competitive (at least where I work) for promotions after a certain point.

But I have one semester left of GI Bill, and you don’t need a masters to get the CPA. You just need 150 credit hours. I could take 12 credit hours at the local community college and it would qualify as long as I have 24 accounting credits. I have 21 right now.

But I figure if I’m going to do 12 credit hours why not get almost halfway to a Master’s? So I figured I’ll use the GI bill for a semester of undergrad and then use voc rehab for the other 18 credits if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You’ll also get like $800 in the fall if you take that much. Which means you’ll only get $200 in the spring*

*not guaranteed. You might get overpaid like I did almost every semester.

And if you drop any classes you owe them the book stipend back for those credits even if it doesn’t change your tuition cost.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

I got paid from the VA late last week, but it was less than half of what I was expecting. Unless they take out 60% in tax.

Paid for what? I’m not asking to be a jerk but if I know what specifically you got paid for I might be able to tell you why it was low based on my own experience.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

My classes started on the 4th, so I don't think that's it. Or maybe it is. I don't know, this is all brand new to me.

Take your BAH and divide it by 30. Then multiply that number for the days you were in school for the month. That’s a pretty accurate way to gauge how much BAH you should get.

Are you sure it wasn’t a book stipend? It’s difficult to decipher the difference based on line items on your bank account and ebenefits.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

It could be the book stipend. It was a hair under $800, which would be weird for them to give me 80% of my yearly book stipend in the first semester. I'm an international student so the monthly rate is a flat $1650, so the math doesn't line up from that calculation either.

I rarely got less than $750 for my book stipend in the fall because I would register for 18 credit hours every semester. You get $41.67 (give or take for rounding) per credit hour for your book stipend.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

OK, that's exactly what it is, unless you pulled that $41.67 out of thin air. I'm taking 19 hours and that multiplies out to a hair under 19.

$1000 divided by 24 credit hours since 12 is full time. You don’t get a book stipend bonus for taking more than 24 credits in an academic year.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

A Bad Poster posted:

My cousin has his bachelor's in herpetology.

That’s most college students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why does the online application kick out people who have phds?

ignore me if this is answered later. It’s a long post!