Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BigDave posted:

It's about goddamn time :colbert:

Congratulations man, that's huge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sacrist65 posted:

Finally graduating in May after 10 years of part time, with a couple of trainings, deployments and burnouts in the middle.

It feels very "its about time" but im gonna celebrate it and do the whole robes and ceremony because lol it was harder for me.

Congrats man, that's just about my story too, I know how it feels. That victory lap around campus is a memorable day.

Sacrist65 posted:

Also, has anyone found that being the old guy in group projects makes you the default group leader / mumbling cat herder?

lol yeah, that part sucked. my way out of it was acting as immature as possible (not difficult after the military)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
My experience with the VA during school taught me I never wanted to work with the VA for anything ever again. Good luck dude, I hope everything works out

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
McNally when you're on MSNBC over this remember GIP. do it for the GIPpers

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Given the hygiene practices of liberal arts professors, the man was wrong on the reason but sure cognizant of the future

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man my last semester of undergrad was so loving good. Going to class high every morning, doing independent studies in the afternoon, flirting with the cutie behind the counter at the Chipotle on the way home. Call me verizon because I phoned that fucker in. Hope yours is just as good

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BounceBanana posted:

I just had a thought, and it wasn't about how I can't finish my work because I keep eating my crayon. (added crayon part to make it relevant to "some" vets)

I'm going back to school (at 41) for an associates in industrial maintenance. I got most of my gen. ed. crap out of the way years ago except a history class that I failed twice before. I'm taking this class again this semester after 16 years. As I was reading through some textbook and academic journal stuff I had the aforementioned thought....

I actually like learning about history. The problem is I've never found history classes to be conducive to learning for me. They always seem to be more like pseudo english/lit classes focused less on learning history and more on making sure that your paraphrases are formatted and structured the right loving way. And I hate english/lit classes. Only reason I passed eng. comp 1 and 2 was that I'd always bullshit with the professor about punk bands.

I don't know if there is a general education/college subforum, but as a student/veteran I figure it's ok to post a random bit of bitching here.

I was a History major before I settled on English, and even coming from this angle, you're absolutely right. History is a lot more fun to learn about when it's about the history part. Not to point out an obvious solution, but scour ratemyprofessor if that's still around (or your school's version of it), find reviews for a prof who's cool and easy and makes the class interesting, then call yourself Verizon and phone it in. If you're taking a class because of gen ed requirements and it doesn't do anything for the field you want to pursue, don't feel bad about taking the easiest path of least resistance. If colleges want to use the 'students-as-customers' approach, then throw it back in their face. If you're paying for it you should enjoy it.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man I got more ptsd dealing with the VA for school than I ever did out of Iraq, sorry you guys are going through this too jesus