Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Nick Soapdish posted:

Looking toward the future when I try to run out my remaining 7 months of post-9/11 benefits, I don't know if it was a fevered dream or wishful thinking but did they change how going half-time only reduces time by half-time instead of treating everything as deducting as full-time

Yeah, they provide proportional benefits and charge proportional time for half time now iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hey Jimmy, where you going?

https://youtu.be/-MOIPnu50O4

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Happy to participate

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

A student visa to the UK is like $1,000. gently caress me.

Does that come with the free healthcare?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
There's always the student debt crisis!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Dorstein posted:

Does anyone have experience applying for an extension of their GI Bill delimiting date? The recent VR&E change means I suddenly have some extra entitlement that I'm not going to be able to use up in time.

Have you talked to your voc rehab counselor about the changes? I would think they'd be able to advise you pretty effectively

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yeah, that’s a common thread. You gotta fight your rear end off the more advanced the education has to be with VR&E.

You can and will win if you fight them and stay within the letter of the law but those fucks can make it last years.

I think the issue is of you are already working and self sufficient, then you don't qualify for VR&E. I got an immediate yes to law school after I got my history degree after showing my counselor a couple wanted adds for attorneys in my area.

You should all go to law school.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I don't imagine that change is retroactively applied, huh?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

maffew buildings posted:

Very cool, the school I'm taking my fall classes at used a California grant to cover my fees instead of submitting to the VA like they were supposed to, so now I have no housing benefits and classes start Monday. Wow, very rad of the veterans center to do the opposite of what they're there to loving do, process loving GI Bill claims. Maybe I'm missing something but I have no confirmation letters from the VA so not feeling to good about this.

You should go ask them who is paying your rent until they get things sorted. That loving sucks though dude

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hmm, looks like I have just under 6 months of GI bill benefits I meed to use to get my kicker back. Any suggestions on how to do so? Guess I could enroll at the local college full time for a coding bootcamp or some poo poo. Maybe just save it to use for relocation purposes of I ever have to move without having a job lined up

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Hekk posted:

You are going to go to school for six months so you can get back like 3,000 dollars? That seems like a substantial investment for very little return.

I would also be receiving BAH for that period, along with my education. Take some basket weaving or kayaking class or some poo poo, get paid to recreate, and get my money back@!!!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

It also has to be part of a degree plan. The VA won't just pay for whatever.

Why are you ruining this for me!??!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Why would he care? It's free money going to schools.

The WWI bonus army and public perception of veterans throughout the interwar period was not sterling. Many people viewed vets as bums who couldnt adjust to the meager reality of pre-ww2 America and freeloaders who wanted a handout (the bonuses they were promised when they signed up to fight)

Also back then colleges were upper crust institutions where connections were forged. Making money hand over fist is more a recent development in higher education

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Internet Wizard posted:

U of Chicago is where Richard Spencer did his masters, so it seems like maybe there’s some issues in that institution

They also came up with the Anti-Trust analysis standard that has allowed countless massive mergers and otherwise illegal behavior to take place. They suck!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

I'm being proactive. I did my FAFSA for 22-23 and also applied for the STEM scholarship since i don't think my GI Bill will make it to the end of my degree. Now to do actual school work :/

My understanding us that if you have 1 day left at the start of the semester the GI bill will cover all expenses and bah until the end of that semester. Not sure if that changed over the years.

Voc Rehab also pulls from a different set of entitlements and cam extend your bennies. Lasty Vet Tec will cover expenses for a tech degree

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I think I might have like 3 days left to do my final semester, which would extend out the rest of the time. But that involves having to pay out of pocket for this summer semester coming up. So if I can get the stem scholarship thing to extend it out (I don't know if this just gives me more days, or if it's just money) then I can also get the summer paid for. And to be clear, the scholarship thing is a GI Bill scholarship for people doing STEM programs because those can sometimes take more than four years depending on your course load. The degree plan for my school looked like it suggested taking 16 hours a semester for 4 years, no thanks.

Access to Voc Rehab, Vet Tec, and some other programs rely on you having atleast 1 day of GI bill eligibility remaining. If you haven't met with your school's veteran services coordinator to see if there is anything you can do you might see if any of your courses could be squeezed in under vet tec? Alternatively it might be worth it to try and get your rating increased to 20% so you get access to Voc Rehab.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Use your GI bill however you want - they're your benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
iirc I got BAH just for the term that the credit was applied to when I had non-standard class dates.