Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

holocaust bloopers posted:

Get into advertising and sell frozen dinners and ketchup to middle America like I did for 3 years.

What's your take on the meat cat campaign from the 6th season of 30 rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

App13 posted:

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

Doh missed a paper draft due date. Today is day 2 of radio silence for the request for an extension I sent to the prof. Guess I'll have to prostrate myself during office hours to pull this one out

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
gently caress writing papers and double gently caress writing sober. What an obnoxious process

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nick Soapdish posted:

The professor for research methods class gave very detailed notes on my paper and I was just so over it because I wrote the second half in a hurried scotch fueled haze. I didn't really care that she gave me a 89 on it.

I'm writing a comparative law paperthats intended to highlight the difference between the American investigatory process and the Argentinian process as a consequence of our different systems of law.

I turned in poo poo but it's a draft and I had to switch topics 2 weeks ago because they don't have a system of evidence to speak of. So far the class has been pretty loose and I don't expect much grief for turning in 9 pages if analysis but who knows :shrug:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I worked a half day and only wrote 5 pages of stuff. Tomorrow morning I'll be drafting a lot more.

Depending on your field of work, college writing is stupid easy and a joke compared to real world.

You're going to write so much more in practice and things change so frequently that scrapping lots of work isn't necessarily uncommon. Just keep good things and re-use them. No need to re-invent the wheel.

I find that if I really need to write something large, this works well for me.

Oh I know, the PDs office has a motions bank that I've made liberal use of in the past and will again this summer. I don't mind writing If it has a purpose, but just doing analysis for the sake of analysis has finally become quite unpleasant for me. If I was getting paid to do this poo poo that would be one thing. Doing it during my loving free time is something else entirely.

I used to write after having a couple drinks and maybe taking a study aid, but now adays at my advanced age I don't really think such shortcuts are prudent.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

You are getting paid to write in the form of free school and bah if it helps motivate you.

I read a new york times piece about a homeless veteran in SF who is a trash picker to help push me over the line.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

That's the one!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all floating around 12 units/credit hours a semester or what? I always see people go for 15 or even 18+ and I’m like, uh, there’s a reason not many do that. Then they’re miserable and often get bad grades. Doesn’t seem so lucrative in the end.

For some core pre-requisites they wouldn’t even let you stack them in one semester at some junior colleges because the track record shows that people do that just fail both, if not more.

if you’re not working with little responsibility then ya sky is the limit I guess

I think I was taking around 15 a semester for undergrad. For Lawschool it's supposed to be ~13 a semester and for my last year I'll be doing 16 a semester because I'm a lazy slackass.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wroughtirony posted:

Hi, you might know me from the "cunning linguist" thread.

I'm having a full on panic attack meltdown about finals week, which starts about 12 hours from now. I need hardcore negative and positive motivation to burn through one last paper and four finals. I spent yesterday totally paralyzed due to panic and today I got just enough work done to keep me from failing my science class. Please give me your best pep talks/asskickings.

Hey at least you aren't gonna be dealing with a 3 day hangover as you go into your finals.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SoUncool posted:

Just finished my first year of law school. I honestly think I handled army stress better than law school stress. Two more years to go.

What state and what are you trying to do with your degree?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I know someone who got their debt forgiven so :shrug:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

I have an undergrad geology degree from a big research university now. Final overall GPA is 2.5. It seems from the job ads that I have just spent 4 years loving my life up. I don't know why I came here. I'm going to empty some CDs to buy a car this week so I can try to find work. I've been looking at retarded clickbait lists of affordable cities for recent grads. One recommended Denver, Seattle, and San Diego lmao
I think I'm gonna buy a handgun along with the car. I don't really see the next five or ten years going any better.

There is plenty of work you can get outside your field while you look for a real job placement. You in town still? We could hang. I don't have PMs but my email is in my profile.

Also your GPA is not the end all be all selector for success that people in academia make it out to be. It is a means of differentiating between similar applicants but there is way more than one way to skin a cat and there are tons of ways into a desired job field that don't necessarily follow the typical 4 year college degree -> entry level position and beyond. You have the degree. There are ways to find work that might not be readily apparent to you but that's the entire reason schools dedicate so many resources to career counselors.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
looks like this graduate degree is gonna pay off - got a job offer after I graduate.

Just gotta graduate and pass the bar and poo poo but income will soon be a part of my life again

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

GD_American posted:

Yeah I’ll admit it’s mostly me being old and lovely and comfortable.

I wouldn’t risk any of my personal wealth beyond “borrowed too much on the credit cards, gonna take awhile to pay of” at this point. I also couldn’t quit my job to do it, and I just can’t do the two full time jobs thing anymore. I’m too old.

There’s also the thought that having seen their study habits and what they put into group assignments, I’m not wagering my future on a partnership with them. But I’m obviously not voicing that part.

Lol they're gonna cut you out when they get funding, grandpa

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I changed majors and exhausted my post 9/11 GI bill does that mean I can use the Montgomery GI bill?

You can try to switch to Voc Rehab if you have a VA disability rating of 20% or above (10 if you have a serious workplace hinderance). That gives you an automatic 12 month extension and the possibility of additional time if your case worker determines it is necessary

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Man being 33 and going to college club sports is a weird feeling. Can't beat the cost though, $65 for free Kayaking trips and equipment rentals all year!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

The head of the department pulled me aside when i was wearing jeans and a polo and asked if i wore that to work as an attorney. I had literally been in my law office right before i came to class.

It’s because most of my classmates are fresh from undergrad and there are frequently industry recruiters here.

Ans yeah, i’m getting a masters in finance. It’s capitalist central. Investment banking class today is all about leveraged buyouts.

lol gotta look hot for the recruiters or they'll blacklist you

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah I put off a ton of poo poo too time to actually start getting poo poo done

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Law school loving sucks because you don't get your summers off, as it is expected that you will sign up for some internship where you work all summer minus a couple months, so ultimately it's three years of continuous legal work / education with only ~20 days off inbetween semesters and a week vacation for spring break and thanksgiving.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

You were warned.

Better zip it or I'll sue you in approx 7 months

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 3, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Queen Combat posted:

Just got letters from the VA stating my GI bill housing allowance has been 131.70 too much per month since starting school, and they expect payment back. States that in January 2018 the rate changed to be BAH rate instead of GI bill rate per zip code, but "oops our bad" we paid you the GI bill rate even after the regulation changed.

One final gently caress you from the army :negative:

You should talk to someone from a VSO about ways to appeal cuz that sounds like some bullshit, particularly if you are dependent on BAH to pay for your housing.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Heh I got an extension on my Voc Rehab Bennies because between college and law school I was at like 52 months. Suck my wake poorboys

Flying_Crab posted:

I've got 15 months and some days left of Post 9/11, what's that wind up as in grad school semesters?

That sounds like 4 full grad school semesters, maybe 5 now that they break it down by the day

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 18, 2020

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Think I better flee to the mountains while this Corona virus situation sorts itself out

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Trip Report: Very steezy, Xmas came late but there is more to come. Gonna get it again on friday

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Louisiana's unemployment was incredibly horrible poo poo and I hope whoever designed it burns in hell

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
hmm tis the season to submit all my background check information to my state bar.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I can get an extra grand of free money by filling out my taxes this year? that's pretty tempting.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah science is pretty great. Definitely learned a lot more in my physics / anthro / microbiology classes than I did in all of my humanities courses.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I think you can use them for whatever degree you want, you don't have to go for ascending levels of accreditation. I don't have anything to cite for this but I do recall having a conversation with a VA educational rep when I was considering getting my Thomas Edison Nuclear Engineering Technology Degree that it wouldn't effect my eligibility for a real degree.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I was already pretty checked out but now really dgaf. The lawschool has switched to pass/fail so I'm gonna be phoning it in pretty hard. I'm one of the lucky ones who already has a job - a lot of my cohort were in the midst of a job search when all this started and are royally hosed.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm still on my post-law school job hunt.

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Yeah I'd just reach out to your veterans services office or whoever your school's certifying official for an update on what is going on.

If you are using Voc Rehab then you would reach out to your counselor.