Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

AFStealth posted:

Curious, what did you get on your GMAT? I've been back and forth on whether or not to separate (decide in October) and try my chances at getting into an MBA program. Haven't taken the GMAT though, and I'm not great at those tests.

Had a 3.0 from my undergrad.

I took it cold and got 650, ditched my score, then later found out that's an acceptable score for vet applicants. It's definitely at the low end for a regular candidate.

There are people at https://poetsandquants.com who spend way too much time micro-analyzing the MBA world.

Keep in mind there are "MBA Admissions Consultants" who get paid thousands of dollars to "tutor" applicants and help them make it into a decent school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Anyone here ever gotten a grad assistant job? How does it work with the VA paying for tuition if the grad assistant job pays tuition and gives a stipend?

The stipend shouldn't matter.

Was tuition already reduced to zero? The VA is going to want to be the last in line to pay. I suppose you pitch some alternative arrangement to the school ie more stipend and less tuition bux. It should depend who's in your veteran benefits coordinator office. Vasudus probably knows the real deal.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

You two better start making out

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Bruce Boxlicker don't test me

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Apply to Columbia. They have yellow ribbon and the least dysfunctional systems in place to integrate a veteran. Many other ivies fail here, or simply have too few veterans to have bothered to develop the admin expertise to support. I’m serious — Columbia has 400+ student vet undergrads, the other 7 have a few dozen combined.

There are also the non ivy ivies — Stanford, MIT, UChicago, Georgetown, etc. basically the same as far as education, opportunities, alumni network, etc.

More importantly: finishing a BA at any school, ivy or not, is wasted time if you don’t know what you want to do after. “Finding yourself” in college should by now, in 2017, be a thoroughly dispelled myth. From day one of undergrad you should be planning your courses, targeting internships, planning fellowship and conference applications, getting involved with the right clubs, etc. Don’t want to do that? Fine, but someone competing against you for your job did that. It didn’t make them better qualified but they made more friends doing those things and so they’re getting the job you thought you wanted.

The meritocracy isn’t the deciding factor unless you’re in STEM, period. So apply that to the first step and all next steps in education.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

I think that it's important to have a realistic idea of what a school in the Ivy League is and isn't. Each of the eight schools in the league have a certain amount of cultural cachet and name recognition - some more than others. But you can get the exact same, or even better, name recognition from a Duke or UT or whatever. Each school does have a lot of money, so funding is never really a problem. As far as academics are concerned, at the undergrad level"good" or "very good" are the baseline for each program at the school. However, that isn't to say that every IL school excels at every subject, just that you can't really go wrong studying any subject. But if you really, really want to study mechanical engineering then you won't be best served by a Yale versus a Stanford or MIT. However, if you just kind of want to do mech e while also moonlighting in the drama department, then Yale might be a better fit.

Your buddy should also understand that academics at any of these schools are also nut-stompingly hard. Think about it: while you're doing your 300 pages of reading for the week, all the while feeling like a complete idiot fraud, you're competing for grades against the kids who have been raised in laboratories to be genius scholars while also being captain of every team they've been on (and some they haven't been on), who are also musical prodigies and artists. These people also think that they're idiot frauds, and will chew adderall like they're candy from a Pez dispenser just to prove to Dad that they're not complete fuckups. Your friend will have to out-work them in order to get his 'A'.

But most important of all, if your friend is intellectually curious, the IL schools do a very good job at putting resources towards students pursuing their passions. Love foreign languages? There are grants for that (I got a few). Are you unhealthily obsessed with international politics? They have internships at the UN just for you. Do you just loving love anime? There are multiple courses for that.

One little side note: if your buddy can get into Harvard, tell him to go there. It literally doesn't matter what you study; the name alone will get him far.

Yeah, what he said.
(Deathy passed thru the grinder and speaks from firsthand knowledge)

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

i didn't really "go" the first time in that my first semester coincided with the worst of my personal troubles and got shelved. this is take two.

Story time!

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

mad_Thick posted:

I didn't want to make my own thread, so I'll post in here.

Background
-USMC, Infantry, 5 years
-Completed Bachelors in Economics from UC Davis - Spring 2017
-Participated in Morgan Stanley Internship
-Amount left on Post-911 GI Bill: 24 months

Issue
The reason I studied Economics is because I had a grandiose idea that I would get into banking, and eventually investment banking. However, after my internship with Morgan Stanley, I soon realized that I have ZERO interest in the private sector, and the corporate world. It seems to me that the number one goal in working within the corporate world is to make money. Unless you're an engineer of some sort, programmer, or you do a trade, I do not believe for one minute that someone loves their job because x, y, z. They love it for the pay check, and perks within the organization. That is number one (whether this is true or false, that's not the point of this post. Just my unjustified belief.)

Even though I have little interest in the corporate world, I have been applying for entry level jobs for the majority of this year. I landed a handful of interviews which did not bear fruit. And I've received a few hundred rejection emails for jobs I applied to. I honestly am at a point where I do not know what to do...My income has been from the post-911 GI Bill which I using at City College of San Francisco taking bullshit classes. However I obviously do not want to burn that away.

I am currently in the process of completing an Army Officer packet, and I have made it to phase 2 in a top federal agency application pipeline. However, assuming I make it through both, I will not an offer/acceptance from the Army Officer or federal agency until mid-2018. I also need to plan a contingency in case both do not pan out. Since I have no desire to work some boring rear end office/corporate job, the only things I can think of that interest me is either: Police Officer or Firefighter. Of the two, I am more interest in Firefighting.

I'm in need of advice. Someone to bounce ideas off of who can give some constructive feedback. My career interests are in the public and government sectors. I have debated about getting a Masters in Public Policy/Affairs. I still need some job until then though...

TL DR
-Recent Bachelors in Economics
-Not interested in private sector / corporate world
-In application pipeline for Army Officer and a Federal Agency
-Need contingency plan if both fail...
-Wtf do I do?
-Need advice...

Thank you to anyone who read this.

Sounds like you'd enjoy the nonprofit sector. Pick a cause and find an organization that works on it. You'll take a pay cut in order to be surrounded by people who care about doing something meaningful.

Also if you think being an army officer isn't a "boring rear end office/corporate job" then you haven't done your research.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

mad_Thick you are actually going to get more useful & well-thought-out career advice in the Business/Finance/Careers subforum than you will get here. The only thing they won't be able to cover is your officer boner.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/artsci/rotc/cadets/cadences/yellow_bird.html

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Let's put it this way: If I had the opportunity to, I would have gone to Columbia (or any Ivy) completely out of pocket.

If anyone is trying to get into Columbia and/or secure funding to close their GI bill gap, let me know ASAP. Assuming you're not a fuckup, I will put you in touch with the right people. I graduated this year and I'm close with the student vets president and the deans at the college of general studies.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I was really thinking about Columbia for a graduate program in two years, but I've also met a bunch of people at the Harvard Kennedy school thanks to Arms Control Wonk and they said I should go there.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

I got your PM and will reply soon; I’ve been working this weekend.

Columbia is good poo poo but it’s not an exception to a rule that the university recruiters and admin are criminal in downplaying: you have to know what you want to do before you come here, and plan your time out. Your career starts as soon as you get the acceptance letter. It’s not about staying in the library til 11pm every night - but there are vital things (internships, coursework, etc) that “I went to Columbia” simply wont substitute for.

A lot of vets at the school are under the illusion their diploma will do all of the selling needed to get a good job. Nope.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Not necessarily. If you gently caress off for four years at an ivy because you expect the private sector to suck your dick as hard as a bunch of faculty and administrators, you might have been better off at a humbler school that allowed for fewer illusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

To be fair this is also an NYC issue. Many come to school here and decide they like the lifestyle and want to stay. Entry level white collar jobs with growth potential are hard to come by here, so it can be a brutal transition. For people who have something else lined up, or want to go into specific fields*, it’s probably not so bad.

*STEM