Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

If I had the Savings account, I probably wouldn't care, but otherwise I'd probably take the student loan rather than get reimbursed by work. Has to get approved by management and there is an OBLISERV involved (or has been at both the places I've worked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

e: nm

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cyks posted:

for non full-time, it is just the number of credit hours you take divided by what is considered full time (12 for undergrad, varies by school and program for grad). So somebody in an undergrad program who only went half time (6 hours) could go for 8 years. Wouldn't recommend it as BAH requires >50% rate of pursuit and they'd only have 96 credit hours completed after eight years.

Pretty sure I read each month is considered 30 days no matter how many days are in the month. This is mostly relevant for the first and last month of the semester as they wouldn't be complete months. if you are going full time and in January class starts on the 18th, you use 12 days of benefits and your BAH payment will be prorated to 12 times your daily rate.

Yeah, I haven't been getting BAH, but doing 6 grad credits on top of my job was.........unpleasant. That semester I did 9 (one was a Stat class online) was godawful. And now I'm done with classes and just working on my Thesis.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Guess who's got two thumbs

and a fake SEAL in his class

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Gray Matter posted:

Nothing beats getting paid to feel like Billy Madison and peep yoga butts, welcome to the club

Presuming you are not engaging in a class where "please ask questions, I'm not going to move on unless you ask questions" is a thing. But considering it's the one single draw back to showing up to school late, it owns! Welcome!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I could have waived my PE credits, but took Tennis 1 and Golf 1 to fill out my summer full-time hours instead. A++++ would forever recommend.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BigDave posted:

I just broke 80 days! :woop:

I'm so close to graduation I can taste it. It tastes like glue and wood pulp.

I nominate the day that you calculate that there is literally no grade that can keep you from graduating as one of The Great Feels (tm).

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have not had an awful lot of pushback from my VA staff on hours. I can't imagine there would be difficulty, especially if there is a certificate involved. I'll probably have this problem, as I have 2+ months left with 2 credits over two semesters. I would like to fully exhaust my GI Bill hours. This thread has suggested in the past that if you have an hour left on your benefits, it will pay for an entire full-time semester. I have also not seen this exactly codified anywhere.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Buried lede-Temple is a real school and it’s lumped in with those jamokes

Yeah. I'd expect to see Southern New Hampshire before I'd see Temple. Hell, I don't think I've seen a Temple ad, and I live 90 minutes from campus. Pretty sure they have a Harrisburg campus too.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Penn State about 4 hours ago said that classes are remote until 4/6. All campuses. It was very strongly worded that people should not return to campus unless necessary (unless faculty, working on dissertation, or on assistantship).

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 12, 2020

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Uni took it out of the advisors hands to conduct grad research :toot:

I have to have the permission of the program chair to set foot in the lab.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

Congratulations! Don't get Aggie-washed.

Friday is the last presentation of the entire MBA program, and probably the last school assignment I will ever have in my life. I thought I'd feel more thrill or joy. I just want it to be done.

Same boat with my MS. Done with classes, will be working on my thesis the rest of the year and probably done in December. Originally I thought I was going to walk since I skipped undergrad but I'm definitely over that and probably just treat myself to a cabin for a week or something.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GD_American posted:

DONE DONE DONE gently caress school if I talk about going back for my Phudd fly to Mobile Alabama and shoot me in the loving brain stem

:toot:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I'll manage the stop gap. I'm still on the hook until December at least.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I will never, ever, ever, ever apply for a PhD program.

(Unless someone waves a very large check in front of my face)

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to be paid to get a PhD anyway.

Yeah, but I'm talking above and beyond. Rolexes and Teslas and private planes and the like.

"Hey, can you go get a PhD? You'll be a millionaire the second you graduate"

This is not a thing that will happen, which is why I am pretty sure I will never enter a PhD program.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I never even knew what PMP was until my last job where I was working in and around IT. There, it was the Mendoza Line between the cool kids and not. I think I've seen maybe one or two random people on LinkedIn in my industry that have it, and I think they both worked for Top 5 AEC firms. I know of only one company that advertises they are ISO-9000 compliant, and I don't know if its gotten them more business with the state, but I wouldn't be surprised if it tilted a ranking or two in their favor.

Project Management in civil engineering is basically just time-in-rank. You stick around for 20 years and *voila* there you are. Or else, you split off and start your own company once you hit the ceiling.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Grats!

Nice of them to spring for the postage and confetti.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

I stopped complaining about the graduation fee I had to pay when I filed my graduation application after they gave my my diploma at commencement.

This is probably going to decide if I walk for commencement. I skipped the one for undergrad because I started work the following Monday, took like a month to get it in the mail.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Stats and prob for engineers probably expects the calculus understanding and is less handholdy than normal stats.

Graduate Statistics is the most frustrating class I've ever taken. It felt rigged the entire time.

I do like box plots alot now though.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I have so got my popcorn ready if the Visa issue is going to reveal that every university in the country has been jacking tuition to take advantage of international students and therefore everyone else.

Can't wait.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Holy crap, I just compared my pre-semester benefits and my current hours remaining because due to COVID I imagine my MS is going to run into next fall and I was worried about eligibility since I only have a couple of months left (I just am enrolled for a single 600 level credit until I finish basically)

A single graduate credit hour only takes 13 days off my eligibility. At this rate, I could stay enrolled for another 2 and a half years. :lol:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That sounds like it sucks all around, but if my house was burning, the original of my Member 4 of my DD 214 would be the one thing I would grab, and its kind of personally reckless that I don't have that thing in a Safe Deposit Box. He should just take a gap year or some student loans.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

I thought it was ridiculous that they didn't have a 214 ready to put in his hand when he came off federal status.

Then that is a misrepresentation of what I presumed the situation was. I had a folder full of DD-214s the day before I went on terminal leave. Copies were made as appropriate and I would prefer to guard the originals like the Louvre.

e: Also, it sounds like you have enough firepower to get wheels turning when they don't usually get turned. I think things will be fine.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You haven't really separated until you've spent an afternoon chasing down who actually handles something on your checklist because someone changed additional duties but the checklist wasn't updated.

I have had nightmares this year about this. I have been out for a decade.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

Follow-up on my friend's DD214 situation.. I poked the CW4 again and he got every copy of my friend's 214 in pdf format 45 minutes later. All of them. Lesson is it pays to network I guess. Here's hoping he gets a nice 6-10k of grants in the next couple weeks to make life easier.

This is good to hear!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

I took a two month chem break and forgot everything and now I am living in constant panic again OH BOY IT'S O CHEM TIME ALRIGHT

I know that O Chem is a pain in the rear end, but I breezed through Diff Eqs on the 5th attempt, so don't get discouraged. Just work hard the first couple of weeks.

So Fall Semester starts up next week here, and I still need to do lab work to finish my MS, but I have no indication from anyone that the lab is open. I'm tempted to just let it slide until the first couple of weeks of the semester go by and we (the University, my advisor and I) just agree to kick the can until the spring. I still have another 3 years to finish it within the time frame and have plenty of GI Bill to cover (Apparently, 1 credit in a standard semester only costs 13 days). Looking forward to that conversation.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is going to sound flippant, but isn't intended to be:

Op ed in the Washington Post?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

McNally posted:

Maybe? Then again I'm concerned if I go to outside channels the VA will just get intransigent.

Dunno, it already seams that way.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hobo jungles isn't probably the right phrase, but if I recall from either Bud Day or Yaeger (I think it was Day's) autobiography, didn't a bunch of places spring up after the war specifically to claim that sweet, sweet, GI Bill cash just like in the mid 2000's?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

This is the veteran college bitching thread.

In my own bit of news. I applied to my school with academic fresh start, which is a Texas law that says you can apply to school and they have to ignore all your credits from 10 years ago and earlier. For the past couple semesters, financial aid and the registrars office have been pestering me about having excessive hours. Then this semester they were all "You can't get your GI BIll because you have excess hours and aren't getting the resident rate." I finally get the registrar's office to respond to me about it and they say that they oopsied my paperwork when I applied and now I don't have excess hours anymore. Ugh.

I left PSU with a 1.98 GPA (before going to the Navy). I tried to get into University of Washington and WSU and was unsuccessful twice after, even after posting 4.0's at a community college. PSU has an Academic Senate policy that if you've been out for 4 years and had less than a 2.0 you can get the same. Only way I have a BS and almost an MS today.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

Shamelessly playing the veteran card can really help with that too. It's a pretty easy argument to make, "Yeah I was young and dumb and hosed up now I'd like a second shot"

Shameless essays were written, I assure you.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Do: Find a bar that the locals hang out at.

Don't: Try to ingratiate yourself to a bunch of 21 year olds.

You will probably have to carry the water on a bunch of group projects. Every professor will know exactly who you are and give you poo poo every time you skip class. You will also be on a first name basis with said professors and they will write you any reference you need without a second's hesitation.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Noone cares where you went to undergrad. Make sure its ABET accredited and make friends while you are there.

e: The class stuff would be the easiest part of it. You could go into Aeronautical Engineering and still be in the 90th percentile. If you want to do it, go do it.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mustang posted:

I would absolutely recommend looking into the rankings of the degree programs you're interested in and try to get into a decent one. The resources provided to help you along the way can be immense in higher ranked programs and practically non-existent in low to non-ranked programs. Networking is also much stronger in higher ranked programs which vastly increases your odds of finding a good job once you graduate.

Veterans are looked on favorably by admissions boards and a program you think you might not be eligible for could actually be entirely obtainable. The worst they can say is "no" so you may as well apply anyway.

I had a 2.7 undergrad GPA and a merely average quantitative test score yet I still got accepted into a highly ranked grad school program.

100% GI bill will cover your tuition for any public university, will also need something else like the yellow ribbon program to cover the costs of a private school.

Seriously, if you want to get the most out of your GI Bill then try to get into the best program you can for your chosen field.

I'm not going to lie, the 4 months I spent at Everett Community College in Snohomish County (WA) were among the most valuable learning experiences of my life. I'm not advocating for people to go to Phoenix or whatever, but I am way checked out on people needing to go to D1 schools because they are on top of the US News and World Report lists.

The Aardvark posted:

Also make friends with a few grad students so you can know about all the free food events around campus. :eng101:

This seems logical, in theory. From experience.....don't do this. As soon as you say you are an undergrad, things go downhill very fast.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mustang posted:

I got my AA from a community college before finishing my BA at a public university. Unranked program, if I hadn't been accepted into an OCS contract I would have been stuck barely making more than poverty wages in Florida.

I think community colleges are great when you're still figuring out what you want to do but the networks and resources available to students in higher ranked programs are what sets them apart, I doubt the course material is much different.

You can look at the average starting salaries and employment prospects of particular programs and there is definitely a difference.

The GI Bill can be used at the worst school or one of the best, so why not get the most of it? If I had gone to a similar program in Oregon their average salary is almost half of what I can expect here in Seattle.

I cannot express how much I don't agree with this without eating a probation.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ladder climbing in undergrad is a sucker's game unless you are trying to get into a T1 law school, in which case you've already failed.

"I want to sign up for a lecture with 400 other people!" - An ignorant child

Mustang posted:

Not really sure why, most of us are presumably using our GI Bill for career purposes. The cost of nearly every aspect of living in this country is on the rise.

I had a poo poo GPA and an unimpressive test score yet still managed to get into a highly competitive program. Being a veteran gives us a huge leg up over our civilian peers during admissions, I never would have gotten into this program if I hadn't been in the Army.

I really don't know what could be so debateable about higher ranked programs having better outcomes for their graduates or for suggesting veterans apply for programs they would otherwise not think they're qualified for.

Its Sabermetrics. We are statistical outliers in almost every category.

e: As a thought exercise, say 8 years ago I graduate with a BS from MIT. Or say I graduate with a BS from Miami of Ohio. How different are my outcomes if I still settled in the same area (assuming I didn't sign up with a three letter agency). Guessing its pretty much the same. I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying it doesn't really matter if you know your general trajectory.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I had to take Stat 500 exams online like that. It was so disconcerting that I will never do so again.

bird food bathtub posted:

and some classes will suck (looking at you calc 1. SMDFTB)

Just wanted to echo. gently caress calc so much. I have taken Diff Eq's 5 times throughout the years.

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ll just add that Covid has changed a lot of things about college, some better some worse. For example you might have to take your tests on your computer in a perfectly silent room and while your webcam watches to see if you take your eyes off your screen or start crying (this gets flagged as cheating as has to be reviewed).

You might also find that your professors are very laid back with deadlines and are willing to give you a lot of flexibility with stuff or even waive smaller assignments.

Definitely talk to your professors, either after class real quick or during their office hours. Emailing with them is also great.

My thesis advisor actually told me that I'd be better off if I had just gone to his office hours. I replied that I just liked to turn things over in my head and try to figure things out. Come up with dumb reasons for going to see your professors during office hours.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 7, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Your timing is impecabble. *heart hands*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's been 12-14 years since I took my three calculus classes. I took linear algebra last summer. I got rekt by phd level economics courses because of the calculus required. Those skills rust, friends.

After I got out, I had to jump back in to Junior year with Multivariable calc, Diff Eqs, and Physics 2. That first month was hell. I think I spent 8 hours a day just getting caught up.

Dorstein posted:

Everett is low-key a really good school.

I've got enough lovely things to say about PSU to fill a book, but I'll never give EVCC so much as a side-eye.

E: If I had one bad thing to say about going back to school in your 30s: Homework loving sucks and it should be banned with the consequence of death by firing squad.

E2: Speaking of, some idiot defaced two of the least lovely parts of that town last night and I am incredibly pissed.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 8, 2022