Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean don't get me wrong, grad school isn't for everyone. You need to do a strong assessment of what you plan on doing with that grad degree. It's not a free meal ticket for every field.

Remember that undergrad is where you pick the general area you want to work, graduate work and beyond is where you specialize.

Do the math for what entry level bachelors degrees net you, and then compare them to graduate. Then do the same for the equivalent journeyman rating. Plan out at least five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Another thing to take note is that there's a recession coming. 100%. When the axe comes it's going to come swift and it's going to come hard, and it's gonna be bad.

When it happens, it'll be some of the people at the top and almost all of the people at the bottom. The people left in the middle will be expected to pick up the slack.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Approximately 3% of people that qualified for student loan forgiveness have received it. It's a hell of a gamble that I wouldn't personally consider.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

McNally posted:

So the good news is that, if push comes to shove, I can file a FAFSA and get a student loan for whatever the GI Bill won't pay for my master's program.

I'd still rather not do that, but at least I have a year to find scholarships. I figure ten grand ought to cover it. Gonna have to write a lot of essays and poo poo, I guess.

That's what I did. I got my undergraduate and half my graduate degree for free. Then I paid for the last year + living expenses out of loans, which added up to almost 50k.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Generally speaking having the degree within the next six months is acceptable unless they're real sticklers about it. Some places most certainly are, so don't be surprised if they turn you down.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can generally walk up to a year early, depending on policy. I think at my school it was >91 credits for students enrolled full time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I skipped walking both times and both times my mom +grandma were PISSED. I was the only one to graduate from college, let alone grad school, so I didn't realize how big of a deal it was to_other_people. Whoops.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
get an mba

i leave it to you, dear reader, to determine just how ironic i am in that statement

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can update it on benefits.va.gov or something like that. If you get paid VA disability it goes there by default.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can only convert your MGIB to Post 9/11, it's a one way, one time deal.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Grad school is probably twice as busy as undergrad. Except you know all your expectations well ahead of time but poo poo happens anyway and you end up sacrificing to the old gods to get your projects done.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Work requires 2 years regardless of dollar amount after paying up. Prorated, fortunately.

I get 10k a year now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Non-professional honors societies are basically worthless. Professional ones aren't that much better, but it depends on your field and experience.

If I have two identical candidates (meaning they're both fresh grads and so on) and one has an honor's society and the other doesn't, I'll probably opt for the one with.

But that's it, the chances of someone going "gently caress me! Alpha Kappa Delta Honor's Society?! we gotta hire them!" is basically zero.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Now it is your turn to study statistical mechanics.

edit: context

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 27, 2020

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends wildly on the field, the school, and the candidate's base experience. Almost to the point where it's silly to try and pick it apart.

There's some online schools which will accomplish the mission of getting you a degree, a real degree. That's what a place like UMUC is. But it's *just* a degree, it's not going to open any networking opportunities like a magic spell. If that's what you need, and what you know you need, it does that job nicely.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i will never go back to school

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have my MS, my PMP, and my LSSBB. I'm done with collecting acronyms.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You probably gotta leave Florida and go to a state that has jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

PMP worth it in non-construction/engineering fields? Guy that was on my team throughout the MBA course is an ad exec up in Birmingham and he's been wanting to get it since we took Project Management in the first semester.

So the PMP doesn't really teach you proper project management skills. It teaches you the PMI (Project Management Institute, the certifier) way of doing things, which is hilariously disconnected from reality. But the point of the PMP isn't really to teach you project management, it's to show everyone you have a PMP. It's a gatekeeper certification in a lot of industries, especially anything involving contracts or a situation where HR is the one writing a job requisition. I got mine specifically because almost every position above analyst in my field has it written into the contracts that you must have it.

It's the same with the LSSBB. I went and got it because an RFI had come out for a contract I really wanted. I was bid key in the response. The client determined they wanted to do a full RFP, and when that dropped the position I was bid for had the credentials changed to include LSSBB. I didn't have it, so I was taken out of the RFP for that position and a much weaker candidate that had it was put in. We didn't win the contract; and while there was more at play than just that credential swap it certainly didn't help. So I went and got it (from a place that doesn't have an expiration) so I'll never be in that situation again. I've had it for well over a year at this point and have yet to use a single goddamn thing about it.

If you can get someone else to shell out the ~5k (each) for the certifications, I would say gently caress it, why not. But I absolutely would not pay for it myself.