Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

App13 posted:

Applying for my first internship today :ohdear:

Working for the USGS is kind of my dream gig so I really hope I get this, despite only having taken like 4 geoscience related classes.

Also, anyone know what being a "10 point" veteran means exactly? I'm above 30% disabled according to the VA, filled out a sf-15 etc, I just don't know how their point system works.

Being a 10 point veteran is like a cheat code when it comes to fed hiring, it's supposed to bump you to the top of the heap among similarly qualified applicants without points. If you have the same qualifications as someone, but you have the points and they don't, you should get the job assuming you don't bomb the interview. That's how it's supposed to work at least.

10 points and a history degree landed me the chillest job ever with the natty archives in Colorado. :feelsgood:

If you've already filled out the SF-15 you just need to upload your VA letter showing your disability rating when you send in your junk on usajobs.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Grem posted:

Please tell me more about chill jobs with a history degree in Colorado....

Colorado is a jackpot location so you'll need some luck, but Denver has the second largest concentration of fed agencies outside of DC so check usajobs every couple days and you'll find something eventually. For history poo poo use archives, museum, and historian as your search terms.

A lot of what you'll see for museum stuff is temporary work with the park service and the vast majority of history related archives jobs are in DC/College Park, but there is good permanent stuff in better locations if you keep looking. Any archives job that mentions federal records center is something you don't want, that's the warehouse side of the agency that is lower paying and full of disgruntled people. The naval history command was/is hiring a ton of entry level museum and historian positions, but the jobs are in Richmond or DC.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Soulex posted:

Internships suck. Never done one but it's slave labor essentially and stupid.

I did an unpaid internship for two semesters at an aviation museum and it ruled. I interviewed WW2 vets as part of the Veterans History Project and did some smaller projects with exhibits, collections, and archives. Experience from that internship (and a glowing review by the museum curator) was directly responsible for me landing my chill job with the feds.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have a feeling I know which museum! :nsa:

I love that place and it's going to be even cooler once they finish refurbishing what's left of the bomber plant and moving everything over. If you ever want to mess around with some planes give me a shout. They're always looking for more volunteers and most of the people rehabbing the aircraft have zero experience so someone with your skills would probably be pretty useful. I'm still close with the staff there so I can put you in touch if you're interested.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

I guess people finally heard how dope the new Gi Bill is, congress wants to change it so new privates/airmans/seamans kick in $2400 over their first two years.

On one hand I don't give a gently caress because FYGM SMDFTB if you're still in, but I think it's a bit ridiculous for new vets to expect the public to continue to pay billions so dipshits can get a rhetoric degree (sup Blue Squares, how's that great american novel coming?) in the highest paying BAH zipcode they can find.

http://taskandpurpose.com/exclusive-gi-bill-reform-memorial-day/

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

For the most part, no degree is a waste if you have a plan and your degree fits into that plan. The new GI Bill rules and I hope Congress makes some common sense changes to how it's funded and used (for profit schools and dependents gtfo) so it's around for the vets of Iraq War III and IV.

I think we're currently at an unsustainable level of civilian hard on for veterans. Once people realize just how much money things like the VA and GI Bill actually cost (and when money starts getting pulled from things that directly impact the civilian), that boner is going to be long gone.

RichieHimself fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 19, 2017

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Soulex posted:

You go to Trump University!?

I asked google and it said he's at the gently caress Youa School of Business at Duke. Assuming he went with the first hit.

I hope one day a giper will be so good a bizness that a school will name their program after them and eager students will attend SMDFTB business school.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Since I quit drinking every day a couple years back, I dropped from 190 to 165 and can't gain any weight because I don't like eating constantly or lifting heavy things. I'm 6'1 and my body type is Timothy McVeigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

Soulex posted:

No but they refuse to pay for anything that isn't in my degree plan. I already got the "no recreational classes!" Spiel too.

Can you switch your minor so whatever you want to take would be in your degree plan? I switched my minor three or four times so I could pad my credits with mostly online intro level classes.