Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I got out June 2007. I used up the majority, but not all of my time before graduating in 2014.

Is my GI Bill eligibility expired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Legislation recently passed to make Post-9/11 good for forever rather than for just 15 years. If you have at least 10% service connected disability you should apply for vocational rehabilitation and employment, also known as chapter 31.

I took chapter 31 all the way to my bachelor's; I'm a few years away from hitting a soft ceiling at my job without a Master's. I've gotten conflicting answers on whether Chapter 31 will pay for post-grad (I'm kinda assuming it's negative). I will miss those twice-yearly 100 dollar office supply shopping trips :)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Cool beans. Thanks for the help, y'all.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

edit- already answered my own drat question

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

boop the snoot posted:

The only people I really make fun of about how they dress are people who go out trying to look like they’re in the navy Seals or something. With a motto shirt, one of those hats with the Velcro American flag on it (bonus points if it’s an IR flag), combat boots, and an assault pack.

My second semester I bought a 5.11 bag with MOLLE all over it, I clenched my teeth doing it but I needed a bag that could hold six textbooks and assorted poo poo and nobody else made one.

It was exactly as much of a motard magnet as you think, but goddamnit is it a good backpack.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I met one guy in community college that checked virtually every box. Field jacket with the stupid-big 1st Cav patch. He had half the class cringing during his turn at "tell us about yourself" the first day.

He never came back to that class again, and I've never seen him again in my life.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iirc you only need one physical class to get 100% of the BAH? Could be worth looking into.

I found a program that had one night course a week and wasn't 100% online for this reason, heh.

I thought it had to be half your course load (or at least half a full-time load in 6 hours, can't remember which). Although it quite possibly could have changed.

I talked with some of the people that did the Executive MBA program I'm in. I was bitching about hotel costs (really pointlessly, because they guy I was talking to didn't get BAH to cover it like I do) and he told me he spent the first few weekends in the bar scene in T-town until he landed a side piece, and then he just stayed with her anytime he came to town.

Kinda clever.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Holy gently caress there is a huge jump in difficulty to post-grad. Being out of school five years doesn't help at all either.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

So technically my first semester is Spring 2019, but we have an immersion week here (plus a three-day orientation a while back) I'm having to stay in a hotel for. Apparently BAH/book stipend isn't going to kick in until after drop/add for Spring semester in mid-January. And they're giving me mixed signals on if they're going to pay for this month.

"Things to ask BEFORE you whip out the credit card".

One good part is that all but one of the professors use incredibly cheap textbooks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mods changed my name posted:

did you burn through your piles of mod money already???

lol I have a couple of paychecks invested in tile that's slowly being laid in my house. Every time I end up with one out of alignment enough to piss me off, I think of grover.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

We weren't allowed to have more than two finals in a day. If you somehow miracled three, you could go to the professor with the one you wanted to move and they would have to move it. We had a professor have a meltdown over it once because they had a vacation booked the next day and didn't anticipate it.

Sure as hell hope that wasn't an essay final.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

School administrations are perhaps the single most incompetent group of people in the world when it comes to running a business, customer service, and overall efficiency of communications. It's impressive really.

The team they have running the EMBA program at Bama have got their poo poo watertight. I'm continually amazed at how detail-oriented they are, and they come back with answers immediately. (In the case of the thing I was just complaining about, it was a polite "read the email you got in August". Whoops.) It probably helps that they're a small unit (4 people) whose main job is keeping the program humming.

It probably doesn't hurt that the campus is swimming in money, and is not afraid to spend it. Tuscaloosa is the frigging Death Star of more than just football.

In undergrad, I used to shop around for actual advising. Usually there's someone in your department who knows their poo poo and is willing to help. It's never the person they assign you.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

God, I would love to. SAE racing looks loving awesome. But I live four hours away, I'm only up there every other weekend, and my best contribution would be "ok so who had the latte"

edit- drat. Reading their website and it looks amazing. They actually even have a business case (cost/benefit) analysis as part of their judging. Wish I could do it.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 4, 2018

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is the massive law grad glut from a few years ago still as bad?

And how many people get their JD to just get straight to lawyerin'? I knew one guy who went FBI with his, and his brother went fed LEO as well (Labor, and I think now he's OIG at Interior) with his. I know where they went wouldn't be a top school.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Week one, MBA immersion- "oh man, these dudes are high achievers, maybe I'll break the group project/"gently caress it I'll just do it myself" paradigm, I just hope I can keep up"

Week two- "yeah (team member), you work in advertising, if this is in your wheelhouse why don't you take the Powerpoint/team charter project while we take these."

Week four- hey week one me, about that-

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrDesaude posted:

Semester is done. 2 A's and a B.
Got myself a Quality certification in soldering that lets me work on electronics that can go into space.

Aaand my Lab partner in 2 of those classes just died of Organ Failure over the weekend...

God drat it.

if a roommate dying is an automatic A shouldn't that be at least worth a B-?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It means you've been an undergrad for more than five minutes.

I was in the habit of pegging the boat anchors in class within the first session and (if possible) getting away from them.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Literally could not be happier with being a big dummy with a business degree after reading that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Don't worry, they'll be in touch.

I laughed.

Yeah, you'll get a very polite packet in the mail.

I'm trying to do the opposite and defer payment while I'm in grad school, and apparently they won't even start the process until after drop/add in late January.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Jesus, I had no idea this was a thing.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service

Co-worker of mine that's also a vet told me about this. He's on an income-based repayment plan for his student loans, so he pays 11 bucks a month. (He has kids and his wife doesn't work.) If he makes this payment 10 years straight while working as a federal employee, they wipe his balance.

I'd never get the 11 dollar deal (no kids, my wife makes about what I make) but the idea of wiping the balance at the end of a decade sure is nice.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Why on earth do you have student loan debt as a GWOT veteran?..did you use up all your GI bill and Voc Rehab eligibility’s?

I went back to school full-time when I got sick of the layoff cycle at the chemical plant. GI Bill paid my mortgage, wife's job paid most of the bills, we dialled back our lifestyle and used student loans to cover the remainder of it. Some folks could do the full school load and 40+ hrs at work a week; I knew I was not mentally equipped to.

Of course, now I'm doing exactly that with grad school. But this job has wayyyyyyyy more flexibility than any other job I ever worked. Time off basically on demand.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Right on, good to see you were able to use the GI bill, I was concerned that perhaps you were somehow not aware of the benefit or something. Are you a chemist or a chemical engineer? Those are the only two jobs I know of at chemical plants

lol nope. There's a whole bunch of rednecks that shovel poo poo and push buttons, and there's other rednecks that fix the machines. I was the latter. (I was a millwright, but people understand the first way to put it a lot better.)

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think I have enough bennies for grad school and that makes me pretty happy

How does having paid the $1,200 towards the Montgomery GI bill work? I believe my friend who exhausted his GI bill recently said they sent him a check once he used it all up. Someone else had told me they apply it toward your tuition once you exhaust your post 9-11, but I wasn’t aware you got the cash money

If you exhaust your post-9/11, you get the 1200 as a refund. How much time do you have left? I'm in an 18 month MBA program, and had 10+ months left on my certificate.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I've heard so many stories about professors proud of their sadism and ridiculous fail rates. I'm glad I never ran into one of those pricks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Soulex posted:

Oh hey every introduction to Army schools.

Every military instruction I ever had passed 100% or as close to as to be the same.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Barring some sort of obscure use cases that I can't think of, the VA should be fully funded until September along with a handful of other agencies. Their appropriations bills are specifically off-cycle for this exact situation.

Even the GOP isn't dumb enough to turn off the spigot on VA and Social Security checks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

BigDave posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE nope nope nope nope.

The GOP of today will absolutely flush the old and the PTSD welfare queens down the shitter if it means getting what they want.

And this is coming from someone who voted for Bob Barr in 2008 for chrissake.

May evil monkeys visit Mitch 'The Bitch' McConnell in the dead of night and eat his face.

Their end pipe dream is some weird Randian paradise where the VA and SSA is padlocked shut forever.

None of the GOP Congressmen have the guts to actually issue a killing stroke- even Paul Ryan, who had a murderboner for Social Security (despite it, you know, paying for his college), tried "reform".

They'd never turn the checks off because then the retired E-6 with EGAs all over his Dodge Durango who says government can never do anything right would go apeshit the first time his gubmint check wasn't deposited. It'd force their base to confront their cognitive dissonance when it comes to their hatred of government versus their reliance on it.

You notice VA and SSA are fully funded right now? That's not by accident.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

This seems like a neat program, although maybe this email should have gone out earlier.

quote:

Dear Student,

Textbook for Troops is open to all military connected students, regardless of GI Bill® status. Textbooks can be checked out (free!). The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs will not reserve books for any student nor can mail any textbooks. Students who do not return textbooks will forfeit their ability to rent textbooks.

Textbook for Troops open for veterans and service members only January 8th at 8AM on in 3000 Houser Hall.

Textbook for troops opens for all military affiliated students on January 9th at 8 AM in 3000 Houser Hall

All textbooks are on a first come, first serve basis.

The Office of Veteran and Military does not make any exceptions to our textbook policy. We cannot hold books for you, open early, or ship textbooks to you for any reason.
How to Use Textbook For Troops Database

Go to Supe Store website and generate a book list: https://www.universitysupplystore.com/buy_textbooks.asp
Got to Textbook for Troops Database
Do not login
“Search Catalog” by title or subject (Please note ISBN Numbers may not appear)
Click the title of the book you would like to check out
Scroll down to “Availability” to ensure the textbook is still available
Write down the Accession No and Title (Write Down on Paper for VMA staff)

PDF Instructions with pictures

Come to 3rd Floor of Houser Hall and the textbook will be checked out on a first come, first serve basis.

Alex Bynum

Assistant Director of VMA

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Having a six week break between the 2nd and 3rd class periods is....something.

I guess I understand it's the nature of an EMBA program, but jesus. We're all struggling today.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lightpole posted:

You want some sort of entrepreneurship class. You should be able to understand a business model canvas and then look for an accounting, finance and possibly an economics class if you can fit it. Not all of that will be covered so you will be doing your own research into a lot of it but entrepreneurship and accounting would be critical, an understanding of finance a little less so. Oh, you might be able to find a marketing class as well that would help.

This is excellent advice, just do a little research on the program first. I took a few classes from the guy that did the Accounting classes for the entrepeneurship program at USA, and he had some horror stories of other programs that were basically giving Degrees in Positive Thinking.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

My 300/400 + graduate program had a "lol if you miss these classes you're gonna fail, dumbass, roll the dice if you dare" statement on them.

We got a weird blend of this and a sympathetic "we understand life happens so if you need to miss something we can work with you"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

I actually did it :toot:

CONGRATS!!!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

How behind are the VA right now in processing enrollments? Nobody I get on the phone even wants to give me a rough sketch.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The VA lady at Bama basically spent 15 minutes not listening to my questions and going on about how I should apply to have my percentage upped.

Every single person I've dealt with besides her at that school has been frighteningly competent. I'm sure she's handling my packet.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Don't worry, in grad school you'll either spend a thousand bucks for a book or hardly anything :unsmith:

yeah our Stats professor uses a textbook from 2005. It cost me three bucks on Amazon. As he put it, "you'd need about ten more years of math class before you got the point where things would change".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My community college had some good teachers, but the math department was awful, just terrible. Which was really doubly worse, because if there's any spot where you need to be strong with non-traditional students, it's math.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrDesaude posted:

My C.C. has the same issue. There are 2 good teachers. 1 teaches the stupid kid math (Thank god I got her class), and one teaches Tech Math and nothing else.
I have to take Stats next semester, and I am REALLY hoping the state decided not to be a bag of dicks and add Calc to our curriculum.

Thankfully, Stats at our community college was under the business department. I took one class under a very good jack-of-all trades business professor, and the other from (of all things) the President of the Mobile County School Board. He loved stats and that was the one class he continued to teach. Awesome guy. I could not say enough good things about him.

Really, all the teachers I had at Bishop State were great, apart from the math department and one idiot who was basically forced into retirement while I was there. Our Business Law class basically became a Glenn Greenwald polemic. (Seriously- most of our assignments were from Greenwald's loving book.)

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

Doing all the basic science classes you need at CC is great too. I took ochem2 at CC and the class was 24 people, which is a class that seats 150 at the 4-yr I transferred to. Good luck trying to get help with that.

Science classes were my biggest pain in the rear end to schedule at CC because they always cancelled half of them for low enrollment.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Gray Matter posted:

I was a hair away from doing just that today, but that's exactly the type of subtlety that's lost on this guy.

You'll never get the message across to him. Your goal now is to look like the reasonable person who's just had enough and has to say something for the good of the class. Like Vasudus said, you're not trying to change the dipshit's behavior, you're trying to change the professor's.

Wait for a particularly galling example before setting your foot down. I had to do it once to a stereotypical adult student- know-it-all, dismissive of other students, irrelevant anecdotes, can't pick up on conversational cues that everyone else is moving on. The prof looked like he could kiss me. I was basically bailing him out by playing the bad guy.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 23, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I'm double-posting here but gently caress it, this marketing prof straight-up photocopied a 1990 case study on Scope mouthwash in the Canadian market and I'm googling for data and all I find are completed case studies and papers on this same poo poo from students across the globe at Bumfuckistan State U. I'm putting exactly as much effort into this as he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

mods changed my name posted:

i can't fit in with anyone though because the truth is IM THE OLD WEIRDO

truthfully it really bums me out at times

Felt like this at times, looked for kindred souls like that chubby girl in the Blind Melon video. Except I never found the pasture full of fuckin bee-costumed weirdos. Someone told me to try the vet lounge, but way too many Oathkeeper stickers on laptops for me. Peaced out