Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

not caring here posted:

I'm sure I've said it before, but a really common theme from combat arms dickheads like myself is that college is for faggots

I find this pretty true as well. Of the vet friends I am still in contact with, only one actually went to school and graduated. He was legit smart though, ended up getting grandfathered into a train union making bank. Two others live off their disability and love saying things like "school doesn't make you smart." One of them went to school for a semester but got into an argument with a professor and... he can't go back. I was just an 11B and now i'm studying mechanical engineering so what do I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller with a quick question. Is the National Society of Collegiate Scholars worth joining? At first I suspected it was a scam, but after some research it looks legit. I assume it is like Phi Theta Kappa for big boy college? I did pay for PTK even though I haven't got anything out of it and left community college already. It's only a hundred bucks and I think I can maintain the GPA required for it, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any interactions with them. Thanks!

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

DownByTheWooter posted:

Taylor Series can blow me
Maclaurin too

Don't forget to use Paul's Online Math Notes, I find he explains things better than the teacher some times. But I am hating this summer math class I am in, it's only Differential Equations, which isn't terrible, but I don't come from a strong math background and would have liked more time with the material. That and there is only a week and a half left and I am doing my damnedest to not completely check out yet. I know if I start Octopath Traveler I may as well just give up on my summer semester.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

If you are having trouble following the book or lecture check out Pauls Online Math Notes http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ It covers Calc I-III and Differential Equations. I started using it in Calc III when the teacher completely lost me and it helped me out in Diff E. recently.

Calc II has been my only C so far in college. I honestly should have failed it. Somehow my 61% curved into a C. I would take it again but I don't think Voc Rehab wants me wasting time taking a class I technically already passed.

Oh well. I got Applied Matrix Theory this fall. I believe Neo.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

I just got a D in my Dynamics class. It sounded like the teacher wasn't prepared to teach it. I knew he was new, he replaced a really popular teacher that retired I think, but he kept whining about how at his old school this class was two semesters and he did not know how he was going to teach it to us. Then he spent the whole semester just doing problems in front of us, in his own method he never really explained well, and it was different from the way the online book taught it. The average on the final was a 50%. The online platform (Canvas) had my final grade at a C but then he decided to reweigh everything and now I have a D. :argh:

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Khan academy is good. The online derivative calculator can be useful to check your answers. https://www.derivative-calculator.net/ or https://www.integral-calculator.com/ for integrals.

Also going to recommend Pauls Online Math Notes. https://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ He goes all the way up to Differential Equations. The cheat sheets can be nice for future classes.

I remember Calc 1 not being horrible but I thought the teacher was really good. I got an A but I had to work my rear end off for it.

Good luck with Calc 2. A lot of people end up taking it twice. I can't imagine taking it during the summer. They curved the poo poo out of my class in a normal semester.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

TheWeedNumber posted:

wow what a name for a forum thread

Ok, onto why I am here. Does anyone have experience with getting voc rehab to pay for a tutor? Does it have to be their tutor or can they reimburse you for some people you found on wyzant? And what about reimbursement for things you had to buy on your own, like a laptop needed for school or a textbook rental (because apparently no one buys books at the school bookstore so it wasn't on my voc rehab book list). Thank you.

I just graduated using Voc Rehab so here was my experience. I never paid for a tutor, school had them for free or part of the cost whatever. Keep your receipts and ask your counselor if you can get reimbursed. I did get a laptop and a printer for school. In my case I had to fill out a form explaining why I needed it and I got it through the schools computer shop at the union. I didn't have a choice in the laptop, I just specified it needed beefy graphics for gaming Solidworks. :ninja: If you already bought the laptop... I don't know. I did get reimbursed for my home router when it died which was nice. This was last semester and reasoning was I needed internet for online classes.

Big thing is keeping your receipts, I know things changed last year with the switch to eVA, again ask your counselor to explain it. I was able to get my books from the book store on campus for free, just had to sign 4 receipts. Each semester I got $75 for supplies, notebooks, pens, etc... Again for the on campus store. If a class had something specific to buy, ie lab kit or online access to some bullshit, again I just had to fill out a form and scan the receipt / screenshot the purchase confirmation. I imagine it would work the same if you just wanted to rent, but if you want to keep the book maybe consider buying it and getting reimbursed? Hell I used to make money selling my books back to the bookstore.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

antimatt posted:

So, uhh, any hints for someone who is retiring at the end of this year with nothing other than a mostly CLEP'd CCAF and may want to apply for a couple state universities? Being a 40ish freshman is kinda wild.

I will say if you anticipate getting any disability rating get on Voc Rehab when you get out. Don't do the "wait until I exhaust my GI Bill" that some people seem to think is the best, if you are rated get on Voc Rehab. It's a better system and if you need stuff for school they will get it for you. I still have my laptop and printer from school but I also got like $75 for supplies at the student store every semester. The downside is you have to work with a counselor but they are just there to make sure you make good choices regarding your degree. If you are having issues at school it is their job to fix it. I was told if I have a toothache that is interfering with my studies they will pay for the dental visit. Obviously check with them and YMMV.

My background, I graduated college at 37 with a bachelors in mechanical engineering in December of 2020. Former Army 11B for 6 years before that. Now I work for the Army again in NJ at Picatinny Arsenal where I am a maintenance engineer for some direct fire munitions. I can talk about that whole process if you like, I got the job and interview from USAJobs. The system sucks but if anyone's interested I can say what I did to get through. And I actually didn't lie to try to "beat" the system, despite what a lot of people were telling me.

If I can ask a question and feel free to ignore it because I don't mean to pry, it's just I have seen a lot of retirees use their GI Bill and I honestly don't understand why. You have a guaranteed paycheck the rest of your life right? With years of experience that you could hopefully do something related on the civilian side. And if you have kids you can pass on the GI Bill which could be useful since let's face it you need a degree for a decent job these days. College ain't cheap. Obviously if you don't have kids or can't pass on the benefit then go hog wild. Just something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If you didn't transfer 1 month to anyone at least four years ago, it's not happening ever.

That's what I wasn't sure of. Sounded like instead of just getting rid of the ability they just made it more difficult and easier to miss.