Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I just filled out my gi-bill cert thing for the semester this morning because this is the first day the offices are open after the holidays. Fees are due in two days and will auto-drop classes if they aren't paid. :thumbsup:

Just talk to the VA counselor at the school. They deal with this every semester and they'll take care of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

mmm time to apply to law school. Did lovely on the LSAT, looks like no ivys for me.

:lol: if you go to law school

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Between remaining 33 and 31 bennies I'm pretty comfortable with my decision.

I mean I went to a pretty decent law school and the number of people I know with better grades than me still do not have jobs and if you didn't do well enough on the LSAT to get into a top school, you're likely to be unemployed when you're done. All of your peers are going to be drunk basically the entire time. Every social function will involve everyone getting as drunk as possible. Most of your peers for the rest of your life will have major substance abuse problems, is horribly depressed, and absolutely hates life. Unless you're in biglaw working 100 hour weeks you're not going to get close to sniffing 100k a year for 5+ years after graduation.

I'm not trying to dissuade you if you have an actual job plan lined out and this is just a wicket towards that goal. I don't know what your specific endgame is, but the legal employment world is absolute poo poo and is full of sociopaths, narcissists, and generally assholish people at a higher percentage than any other profession. If you haven't read the lawyer thread in BFC, I highly recommend that you do. Especially read Toona the Cat's posts if you want to see a recent vetgoon's law school escapades.

If you happen to have any substance abuse issues in your background, law school and the practice of law is a very bad idea.

If you do not have a general job plan, you are significantly better served by getting a different graduate degree in almost any other field and you'll have better longterm earnings and quality of life. If I had got a masters in economics or finance or something instead of my JD I would actually be looking forward to finding work instead of just selling tacos at college bars.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 10, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm fine to get into the best school in my state, and a couple decent ones on the west coast. I'm not gonna be getting into a t-14 but that's OK. I'm from New Orleans so substance abuse is in my DNA. Guess I'll see you on the other side, though not in florida because that state suxxxxx

Seriously, though, go read this: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3301274&userid=56659

That's the tale of another vet-goon & law school even more recent than my own.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Nothing in there that's too alarming. My bachelors is in history, which was actually selected to make the most of my existing credits to expedite getting to law school. My brother is a public defender in the Bronx and we've discussed alot of the various ins-and-outs of what practicing law can entail.

I'd rather start over with an engineering degree than get a masters in history. I find the subject interesting but hardly applicable in a money making sense. Law school is actually the culmination of my post-enlistment plan to the 'T' so its time to loving get hot.

Good luck, godspeed, and I hope it works out for you.

Note that this is not an endorsement of your decision, but rather acquiescence. Your mind will not be changed and I do hope it works out for you, but the odds for you to be a happy and successful lawyer are not in your favor based on your specific circumstances. I hope you prove my skepticism wrong.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 10, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FSU's college republicans got their chapter yanked by the national organization and the leadership is under investigation for gross mismanagement of funds, imbezzlement, and sexual harassment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You could avoid those problems by just being good enough in bed that there aren't any complaints.

Also they definitely have talked about you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When picking a school do a bit of research into how vet friendly they are. Some schools don't give a gently caress while some schools actively work towards and cater specifically towards vets. I cannot recommend enough that any of you should try to go to FSU. It is seriously one of the most vet friendly schools in the country. I disagree with the university president on a lot of grounds, but he's a vet as well and makes sure that they bend over backwards for us as much as possible.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

Pull and pray is better anyway

Or you could just get snipped.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kuroyama posted:

Is this the place to talk about students being too dumb to take free condoms and lube when offered?

When going out on liberty, a friend of mine refused the condoms that HM1 was handing out in front of medical on our way past. He just yelled "gently caress you doc get the shot ready" and we went out into town.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not caring here posted:

I'd email the professor with what he gave you, where you found it online and throw him the gently caress under the bus. He's obviously lazy or incompetent, which is kind of okay except that he's totally will to put the dick to you in the process.

I have no doubt if they accused you for plagiarism he'd throw you under the bus quick as blink.

This.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

That there's nothing to gain from it. He's caught red handed. Calling him on it will probably embarrass him and might set him straight.

Telling the professor could get him kicked out of school depending on how egregious they see the cheating to be. Why not give him a chance to right the ship before possible ruining the next ~40 years that a college degree could get him?

If he shows no remorse after you call him on it then by all means, tattle.

Because a paper still has to be turned in. I doubt his lab partner is going to poo poo it out in time and he'll have to make up some excuse why its late because "it's late because I gave him a chance to fix his egregious plagiarism" will result in the same type of punishment.

Someone isn't necessarily getting kicked out for a first offense. It's not a fellow student's call to make, though. I would give someone the chance to fix something, too, but you can't do poo poo when the deadline is up and half of it is blatantly stolen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

I'm sure 99% of the people in college have cheated on something, including the people who post in this thread. So suddenly taking the holier than thou stance that it's against the rules so you should tell on him seems hypocritical and stupid.

So then what should he say for why his paper is late? He's going to likely get docked points for a late submission.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TBeats posted:

And it is your concern what happens to him, because going forward you're forever going to be the guy who ratted on someone.

And people in college are just as backstabbing and vindictive as people in the military. It just balances out because they aren't that way all the time like they are in the military.

It's not hard to, at the very least, attempt to throw the guy a bone.

They also taught about hyperbole in college.

A first offense for plagiarism in a low level science lab class isn't going to end someone's academic career. This only fucks him permanently if he's a repeat offender. This is his wakeup call. A fellow student isn't the person that should be providing that.

If this was something due in a month and he just sent a preliminary draft over that had a few things stolen, I'd be right there with you. This was a lab report due in hours and 100% was not only copy and pasted, but wrong for what they were doing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheQuietWilds posted:

Alright I don't get that one

Little. Yellow. Different.

That was the nuprin (name brand naproxyn iirc) slogan in the 80s.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just turned off autocorrect because I can actually spell correctly and if I gently caress up it puts a squiggle under it and I can go back and fix it.

It was driving me bananas because I usually add in punctuation manually when typing contractions and it would think that a new word had started. We'll would turn into we'lol so many loving times that I just was done with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

only honors I got from school was for pro bono hours because I'm a lazy gently caress in the classroom, but when I'm actually helping people that need it I bust my rear end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Mmmm, law school acceptance​ letters. Time to ignore the good advice of my peers and forge ahead, just like enlisting.

I mean if you're gonna be a moron might as well go post in the law school/lawyer thread in BFC.

Seriously, though, unless you're going to a T14 don't expect riches. You're going to law school to work a 40-50k/year job for the most part.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like the job that I'm trying to get is going to pay me 40k at most if I get it, and it's not likely that I do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well considering those amounts are more than I am currently earning and I'll get paid to attend school in the interim I'll take it!

And I will never take advise, legal or otherwise, from goons.

That's fine if you don't want to take advice from internet strangers, but do try to find some various 1st year to 5th year lawyers and talk to them.

There are a ton of different fields where you can make so much more money and don't have to deal with all the extra bullshit that comes with being a lawyer. There is negative value to most people's law education. In february only 58% of the people passed the FL bar. For those that are attempting to retake it, it's going to cost another $1000 to take the exam and even then they're going to struggle to find employment because of a failure on their record. For those that do not retake, like a friend of mine, they're stuck trying to find a secondary non-legal career. Having a JD can actually be a negative thing for non-JD required work. And although you won't end up with the massive burdensome debt like she has, most of these people have 200k+ in loans that they'll never pay back.

If everyone is telling you that it isn't a smart idea to go, maybe there's a reason. You can make more with an MBA than you likely will ever with a law degree and a number of business schools, like at FSU, will take LSAT scores in lieu of GRE. $40k/year for a lawyer is basically poverty wages with the loans and such most of us have to pay back. There is a whole lot of negative with going to school, and unless you have a guaranteed specific job lined up or you're attending a T14 school, it is an extremely risky proposition with very low payout.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer or rain on your parade. I'm just being real with you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah voc rehab is paying for mine. I just know people struggling to find work and there are quite a few others in lovely jobs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah, the stated goal for voc rehab isn't to be a lawyer, it is to get a law degree preferred or required position, so that includes being a mediator and a bunch of other stupid poo poo.

They won't pay for me to take the bar, but 50K a year for 3 years is a nice parting gift from the Federal government for my service.

Edit: Mr.Nice is just trying to scare off potential competition.

They'll absolutely pay for you to take the bar. They're paying my bar fees and my MPRE fees.

And I don't give a gently caress about competition. You're not selling tacos.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

One PD in town basically has a massive fro and wears t-shirts with his name and the words PUBLIC DEFENDER on them in court. Dude loving rocks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All but one of the suits I own I purchased when I was 50lbs heavier so they all look like I'm a kid wearing my dad's clothes now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lean 240 at 6'? You're either loving jacked or you're fat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Its possible to be a lean 240 at 6', but you gotta be loving jacked to be there. If you're a roided out monster, my apologies for calling you fat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cain Velasquez, Stipe Miocic, Junior Dos Santos, and Fabricio Werdum are all guys 6'2-6'4 that weigh in the 230-240 ballpark for fights and are lean.

Roy Nelson is 6' and weighs around 250 for his fights.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I'm looking to crack the state powerlifting records with my openers in about a year, so yeah. I don't eat super clean but I lift around 8 hours a week and do cardio for about 3.

Nice!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I didn't get anything but books out of my voc rehab.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I was just told over the phone by the VA that my voc rehab hasn't actually used up my GI bill and I have 32 months of benefits still.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

time to sign up for some pottery classes at the local community college

I'll actually go get a masters in something. I'll keep doing what I'm doing now (pro bono work for indigent vets) with the occasional statutory fees once I pass the bar, selling tacos part time, and going to school for another couple years sounds like a decent enough time to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy elvis posted:

I qualify for Voc rehab but being approved for it probably isn't in the cards. I don't have a strong enough case to justify it. Like I can't point to a specific job as the reason for grad school.

can you print out a list of potential jobs? Then you can justify it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

cowboy elvis posted:

Pell grants are for first time undergrad degree seekers. They're not an option for me

Same. I did still get a few grants from the school here and there but that's it. Like one december the school had an endowment to pay BAH rate for a number of their vets so I got a grand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

On a slightly different note, I'm not sure what I should pursue for another graduate degree or whether I should get another bachelors first.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It would only be in prep for the grad degree. Like i would essentially need enough math classes to finish a math BS before i could do economics PHD for example.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mister Man posted:

I have a question regarding PELL grants and financial aid. I medically retired in January 2016. My only income is from the VA disability. I filled for income adjustment at my schools FA office to see if I am eligible for any PELL grants. At first I didn't claim my disability payments, but then they asked and said for FA I need to claim all income. Is this correct?

Pell, not PELL. It's not an acronym. It's named after a dude named Pell.

When you say VA disability, do you mean VA compensation? There are an assortment of types of things the VA can pay out and most are tax-free entitlements that do not count as income. You definitely need to get your FA office to adjust your income if you just got out, but you shouldn't have a problem getting grants because of income if you're a first time degree seeker.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mister Man posted:

Yes VA compensation.

I did an income adjustment but they claimed that I made too much to qualify for Pell grants, because of my compensation I was receiving from the VA. Also yes this is my first degree.

You need to talk to them again, because your VA compensation is not income and should not be treated as such.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

shyduck posted:

So the VA is over 3 weeks late in paying my school. In turn, the school is holding onto some money that I kinda need due to some unforeseen circumstances.

Now I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else, but I'm trying to find a web link that had an online submission form to somewhere in the VA where you get a response relatively quickly. I've used it before when the VA got hung up and it worked. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

edit: got it, it was the GI Bill customer help page, under Ask a Question https://gibill.custhelp.com/app/home

Talk to your school's VA rep. They may be able to get an institutional deferment which will free up your financial aid refund.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

You can have a long beard without looking homeless. It just takes a little effort and beard balm and not letting the neck hair go lower than the actual beard.

Yeah I have a monstrous beard now, but it's well kept and looks good. Also trim the god drat hairs hanging over your lips into your mouth gently caress.

It took a few trims to get the chin hairs in line with the rest, and I still shape it up once a week or so because it's so god damned bushy, but it's really easy to have a nice big beard (if you can grow one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

The first part is actually a question. Like if you wanted to play with your mustache and be all twirl it with wax, can you still do it? Cause I need to trim these.

I also trim the neckline because that poo poo makes it look crazy.

I could grow the ends of the stache out to twirl or whatever but 1. i'm not that big of a tool and 2. i keep the hairs on the side of my mouth trimmed too because they will get in my mouth when eating otherwise.