Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Speaking of chemistry, this is old but I found it today and had a good laugh

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm pro CC for people starting out because the professors are actually just hired to be teachers where a good chunk of your intro classes at a four year school will be taught by grad students.

Florida also has rules that if you get an associates from a state CC you have auto acceptance into any state school. It doesn't mean your program of choice has to accept you, but if you get an AA from TCC you can go to FAMU, FSU, UF, UCF, etc. without worrying about the school itself accepting or rejecting you.

I agree with vas that it's cheap enough you shouldn't waste GI bill on CC in most cases and instead should just work that part off with scholarships, grants, and loans since it's cheap enough and use GI bill on finishing your degree and any graduate work you might want to do.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 11, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

there's a smartphone app for those clicker things and it's free.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Passed the bar. Guess I’m gonna do some florida lawyering after all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I might apply for some PD stuff but probably avoiding criminal law for now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Got a crim exam tomorrow and a Con law exam tuesday and I'm done for the summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How were your first semester grades? Any summer job?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Middle of the pack and public defenders office. Gonna get lit

Middle of the pack is probably where you’ll end up rank wise. Maybe a little ahead. That’s not necessarily terrible, but you’re probably not going to end up in biglaw.

Depending on the part of the country you end up in, expect starting salaries to be around $35-50k. Lawyer salaries are in the toilet and continue to drop. I have heard partners brag that they can pay entry levels less than some paralegals.

What I’m saying is, it’s not too late to get a masters or a phd in an actual field where you can make money. If you don’t care about money and want to help people, likewise it’s much faster and lucrative to get a MSW or the like and go into public service. Faster degree and higher pay while actually doing something good for people and society.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Congrats on having a wife that makes absolute bank but you never see. At least she can’t bitch about you smoking weed when she gets back stateside outside of the 4-5 hours she’s home every night.

Also are they hiring? I’ll go live in hong kong for a bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m saying if your goal is to do good for humanity, you’ll probably be able to find work easier with that or another graduate degree aimed at charitable work.

But yeah, i know i’m not going to deter you, but i’m still gonna try. You’ll be able to get a job just by virtue of being a vet in the right state. Hope it works out for you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The HK office does indeed need people, and that works for you because English is the language of choice in that city. You're going to need Mandarin for the M&A and good luck learning because Mandarin is a poo poo-tier language in HK.

:lol: like i’m ever learning mandarin. I do have an honors business certificate like that matters.

lightpole posted:

I'm assuming mergers and acquisitions.

Correct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The issue is you went from full time (12 hours or more) to 10 hours. If you went from 15-12 it wouldn’t have changed anything. Since you dropped to 10 you’re no longer a full time student.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Work for a senator or congressman. Work in the executive. Work for an agency. Work for a four letter think tank. Consult overseas. Flip burgers.

Don't go to law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Viva Miriya posted:

I rather actually become Fidel Cashflow irl, enlist army fueler, go to fort Polk with a pregnant stripper girlfriend I met last month, and in general make all the shitposts I made in the army thread real af prior to killing myself. gently caress being a lawyer.

Good call.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The veteran education office at my school just emailed me saying they're adjusting the amount of FAFSA/WAFSA grant money I'll be receiving this year because of my Chapter 31 benefits. I thought I was entitled to the full amount of FAFSA because my veteran education benefits are a tax-free entitlement. Am I misunderstanding something here?

They’re reducing grants you might get because you already have a full scholarship. It’s not because of your bah payments.

Not meaning that’s correct of them to do, but that’s why.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mad_Thick posted:

Hey Gents, seeking some advice.

Degree: BA in Economics
Amount left on Post 911 GI Bill: 24 months

Current Situation: Landed a full-time job at a big bank after a veteran internship program. It is corporate America, with insanely boring/unfulfilling work, and I have a passive aggressive micro-manager. Pay is great, but I am becoming more, and more depressed working this job. I have a few government agency applications in process, so I'm praying those pan out. In the meantime, I working on my contingency plan to GTFO.

Interests: Wholeheartedly, my interests are in the public/govt sector. I am also considering re-joining the service as an Officer (This option will remain on the table, as I loved my time in the service, and have no issues going back.)

Graduate Degree: With 24 months left to use on my Post 9/11, I've been thinking about earning a graduates degree. The subject I loved the most during my studies was Political Science / International Relations. Everything from reading the books, sitting in lecture, and most of all, writing research papers...It is the one subject I would love to become a subject matter expert in. Also, some universities, such as Stanford, offer a Masters in Public Policy and Masters in International Policy Dual Degree program.

I feel a graduates degree in this field would be greatly beneficial to my future opportunities: tenure track professor, think tank, government, NGO, etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is anyone here in a PhD program? How did you decide to take the leap? My Post 9/11 will cover 24 months of my program, after that it would be scholarships / grants / Yellow Ribbon.

Check with any grad program's job placement. They'll usually publish right on their website. If they have good rates of converting jobs and the outcomes are what you want to do, loving roll with it.

Whatever you do, do not go to law school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My calc ii class was much harder than calc iii. Calc iii was a breeze for me. I didn’t take anything past that because i only needed 9 upper level math credits for a minor and calc 1-3 did it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vasudus posted:

Also, just because you're entry level as far as technical job skills go, you're not on the same competitive field as some 22 year old dipshit that just graduated. Your background gives you ~the diversity of ideas~ that companies love to talk about. That's a non-quantifiable benefit that anybody with half a brain would realize is worthwhile.

Vas, do you guys need any lawyers?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

not caring here posted:

Also don't veterans represent tax benefits for the companies that hire them?

I think it Florida here if you're a disabled vet who has been long term unemployed (ie. School) you are worth about 16k in tax credits in the first year to the company that hires you full time. I'm sure other states have similar.

Don't quote me on those exact figures but I'm pretty sure I'm in the ball park.

Correct, but that doesn't mean anyone will hire you. FL veteran preference doesn't apply to any "exempt" jobs which conveniently includes lawyers. People don't want to hire the entry level person 10 years older than the rest of the applicants, though, regardless of veteran status.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My message is don't go to law school. Although he doesn't post in GiP, I was successfully able to convince a goonvet to avoid it. I'm competing with people a decade younger than me for a bunch of sub $50k/yr jobs, and I can't even get those.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

I'm really worried about this for myself. Gonna graduate with my BA in a year or a little more, but I don't really have any meaningful experience and I am getting older and dumber and more broken every day contrasted against my much younger colleagues. I am certain that I am super-duper hosed, absolutely nobody is going to hire me

lmao spending my GI Bill on a geology degree so I can make $13 an hour at whole foods

Geology is an actual hard science and isn't a field that is flooded with thousands of people garbage schools all willing to work at poverty rates just to get a job.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DownByTheWooter posted:

I sure hope you're right. My university has a super-strong reputation in geoscience as well, which I hope will balance out my GPA dumpster fire

Have you had the opportunity to look at internships anywhere? I really think that the people hiring geologists will be the type where veteran preference actually matters IE mostly feds and not exempted like lawyers are in some states.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Giving vets using post-911 a non-refundable scholarship just for loving show is ridiculous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

Donor said no.

Great.

See if you can return/cancel the scholarship and ask them to give it to someone who needs it then. It loving sucks you can't use it to get your supplies, but right now it's just a $5000 check to the VA and gently caress that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I saw a meme on facebook forever ago that said it's obvious that some women are just in it for the money when you hear them say post malone is sexy. You can go find you a post malone looking fella in the kitchen of any applebys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Post malone looks like a dirty hippie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have a BS in eco and got a law degree. I've been unemployed for 9 months. Don't do what I did.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: all exams are open book/open notes, right? If not, sucks to be you.

Also, you’re the dumbass that went to law school. You have no one but yourself to blame.

Fun note, they went over a bunch of stats in my practicing with professionalism CLE. (CLEs are continuing education credits mandatory for lawyers)

1 in 3 lawyers will suffer from some form of work caused mental illness.

1 in 3 lawyers have a substance abuse problem.

Lawyers have one of the highest rates of suicide of any professional group.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just don’t want to see another goon lawyer struggling to find a job, especially a milgoon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

he said, tearfully lifting the pillow.

:lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Terrible Robot posted:

I used to hate algebraic math and stuff. I did great with geometry and even trig but algebra/calculus hosed my rear end up, until I went to tech school and learned how to apply those concepts to engine/chassis design. Then it just kinda clicked. I still suck at math without computer aid but I at least understand it enough to get by.

I think a big part of what fucks people up with math is going from heavy calculation based things like learning basic algebra and then stepping into high concept things like calculus.

Calculus is made easier to express with modern algebra, but at its roots, it is conceptual more than computational. Once you understand the core you can use it to make calculations, but that's not what calculus is all about.

Remember, Archimedes figured out a lot of the core concepts of calculus in greece almost 2500 years ago without a simple number system or a concept of zero.

Modern calculus is taught mostly with brute force and rote memorization, though, so you skip past a lot of the core understanding. Our number system does make it much easier to express concepts, however I think we'd benefit a lot of people if we started teaching calculus concepts first before their application.

Applied calculus should be the place where you just get taught "here's how to use these formulas." I think calculus should have a more pure math background to get to the basics before you start getting into things.

But yeah, calculus makes a lot of sense when you are using it in physics or real world applications and actually applying the concepts you've learned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

During undergrad my highest single regular semester was 21 hour and I think i got 18 hours one summer as well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There were three summer semester terms. Two half summer terms and a full summer one. Took some full summer, some first half, and some second half at the same time. I did 3/4 of an undergrad plus extra stuff the navy required in less than two years. I’ll have to check exactly what I did on my transcript, but I was busy in summer 09.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pulled up my transcript. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but I had one 6 hour seminar class, calc II (4 hours), physics II (5 hours counting lab), and stats. Stats was a joke class, but physics II and calc II in a summer was no joke. I made the dean's list that semester surprisingly. This hefty summer load, though, made fall/spring of my final year a joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

My school is really pissing me off. They have all these ads about being the largest community college in the area, but across all the campuses, there is one in person linear algebra class, and it is at the exact same time and a different campus from the one electrical circuits class they offer. I need to take both this semester. I guess I lucked out in that there are two differential equations classes. One is in the morning, and one is also at the same time as the circuits class and just before the linear algebra class. In their example degree plan, they have all three of these classes in the same semester, so why the gently caress would they schedule them at the same times? I could technically do the two math classes online but I know I won't keep up with an online class, and I don't want to get behind in two advanced calculus classes. There is a second electrical circuits class at a time that works for me and is even at my local campus, but it is closed. I emailed the professor who also happens to be in charge of the engineering department at my campus but he hasn't replied and I'm not sure who else to ask about this. It's super loving annoying that they do this. Everything was fine until they were required to add another day to each semester, and instead they just added five minutes to each class, which hosed up all the scheduling so classes start at like 10:05 or 11:20. If I can't take this circuits class, that means I only have 6 hours next semester, so no BAH money. gently caress.

Talk to the profs and they will probably work with you on timing and such.

Also your school only offers one or two class sections of higher level classes because very few people sign up for them. You're talking about classes that are normally handled after you transfer to a four year school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

I get why they only offer a couple of classes. They are at weird times and I don't really mind all that much. I just don't get why they all have to be at the same exact weird times. I signed up for the two math classes and they are even in the same room right after each other, so that works out just fine. I just wish they would have scheduled the circuits class at literally any other time.

The profs themselves either set the times or if they're adjuncts someone in the department just sets them. I've known some professors that have exclusive 8am and followon period classes because they personally wake up early and I've also known some that do not ever have a class before noon.

Basically, it just sucks for students in your unique situation. That's not a common problem for people at a community college as they're usually just there for freshman comp I&II and remedial math.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I worked a half day and only wrote 5 pages of stuff. Tomorrow morning I'll be drafting a lot more.

Depending on your field of work, college writing is stupid easy and a joke compared to real world.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I'm writing a comparative law paperthats intended to highlight the difference between the American investigatory process and the Argentinian process as a consequence of our different systems of law.

I turned in poo poo but it's a draft and I had to switch topics 2 weeks ago because they don't have a system of evidence to speak of. So far the class has been pretty loose and I don't expect much grief for turning in 9 pages if analysis but who knows :shrug:

You're going to write so much more in practice and things change so frequently that scrapping lots of work isn't necessarily uncommon. Just keep good things and re-use them. No need to re-invent the wheel.

EBB posted:

Write stoned, edit sober.

I find that if I really need to write something large, this works well for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You are getting paid to write in the form of free school and bah if it helps motivate you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In law school 100% of all of my grades except legal writing was the final.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SoUncool posted:

Just finished my first year of law school. I honestly think I handled army stress better than law school stress. Two more years to go.

There's still time to get out now. There are no jobs and you'll die alone. You can go get a masters in an actual useful field, get a proper salary when you graduate, and do some good for humanity. I know a lot of lawyers who have had to go back to school because law is miserable and there are no jobs.

Put your GI bill towards something useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Another thing to think about, veterans preference doesn't actually exist for lawyer jobs. In Florida, veterans preference is statutory for all non-exempt employees. In the exemption statute there is a blanket "officers of the court" to flat say there is no required preference for vets.

For federal jobs, all attorney jobs are in the excepted service and, as such, do not have codified veterans preference requirements.

Unless you are at a t14 law school and don't mind hating your life for 5-10 years grinding in biglaw hell, you aren't going to make any money as an attorney.

Not to mention that it's a miserable career full of constant adversary. You're fighting with someone every single day because you're in the middle of a dispute between two other people. It is a thankless job, and many of your victories will be bittersweet at best.

in sum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs-UEqJ85KE