Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Syrian Lannister posted:

Why does the VA have such a hard on for you McNally?

McNally is veteran jesus. He's going through all this poo poo so we don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Your school almost certainly has an office 365 sub. You can sign in using your school email. MS basically gives poo poo to schools because it locks you in.

Since 2002 I've attended five colleges across two states and each one had full MS software suites free for student use.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone know how this texting to verify enrollment thing works? I said yes to do the verity by text but haven't gotten anything else to actually verify my enrollment to get my money.

E: nm that might not be a scam wtf.

I’ve been blocking those texts because they look just like loving spam. God damnit no wonder I haven’t been paid yet. This is loving stupid.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 29, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I thought it was a scam at first, but I looked it up and now you have to verify your enrollment after December 2021, and the VA site said the best way is to verify by text.

The only ways to verify are via text, email if you don't have a cell phone on file, or by calling the number during regular business hours and talk to a person. There is no way to verify online or any other way. If you delete the text, you're just hosed.

This is so loving stupid, and doesn't solve the problem it's allegedly meant to solve. They say this is to ensure that benefits aren't paid out to people who aren't actually enrolled or attending. This does nothing to stop someone from registering and never attending class. If certifying officials are committing fraud, this doesn't stop it, either.

All this does is delay payment of benefits and kick people off of benefits for failure to jump a bureaucratic hurdle. This is just done to gently caress people. I'm going to to call all my congresspeople to bitch on Monday as well, because this is dumb. It also looks exactly like a phishing text that I have had beat into my head to treat as scams.

I will admit that I missed a note in a form email from my certifying official that they would do this. I wondered why I hadn't gotten any of my gi bill payments this year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

I hope updating my mobile number to my Google Voice number worked, but I've heard that VA and GI Bill often work off separate databases so they might have my old number on file.

loving hell.

See if you have any emails from them about verification or just call 8884424551 monday morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cojawfee posted:

I think it was both? My text says "Post 9/11 GI Bill housing and kicker payments now require monthly enrollment verification. Would you like to submit yours via text? Please reply Yes or No." So it sounds like it's asking if you would like to do it via text and are you enrolled. Though I don't know what happens if you say no to that. Does that mean no you aren't enrolled? Or no don't do text, send an email? If you don't reply to the text within 3 days or something, it is supposed to default to email.

I didn't reply to the text more than a week ago and have received no email. I'm pretty sure their system is hosed and is going to cause a lot of headaches for us and poor va employees.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It looks like once you're on hold for 14 minutes or so, you get stuck in a loop of the automated system reading off additional options. I have been trying to get ahold of a person for more than 40 minutes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I gave up after getting stuck in the infinite loop the second time and called my congressman's office instead. I got my payments this month, but I have no idea if I will next month or what I can do to verify my enrollment since I have to talk to a person and the automated system is broken.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I got my payment today. They drop you only after failing to verify twice, but I still have no idea whether I'll even get a text or an email again.

e: just tried calling again and they don't even let you get to the automated system. It just tells you to call back at a different time.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 31, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The law that did this is one of the last laws trump signed. It is the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 signed into law jan 5th, 2021. It had major pushback from the National Association of College and University Business Officers and other vets for certain provisions including this bullshit enrollment verification. It seems exactly like Rick Scott's changes to unemployment in Florida where the system was deliberately broken to force people off of the benefit.

Schools didn't oppose it for the burden it put on vets, though. They have to pay back the VA money if you fail a class or drop late in the semester.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Just got the verification email lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's been 12-14 years since I took my three calculus classes. I took linear algebra last summer. I got rekt by phd level economics courses because of the calculus required. Those skills rust, friends.

This is a reminder to everyone, even those of you that already have bachelor degrees - if you have GI bill or Voc Rehab eligibility available - use them. They're amazing. Also apply for every scholarship and fellowship you come across. You'll not get many of them - but you will get some. It is very possible to go to grad school and get paid well.

I'm currently bringing in close to $5k/mo on average as a full time student where my only job is to go to class and help undergrads with homework for 10 hours a week. If you're in Florida and have any disability rating, you are legally a minority and every university will love to add you to their roster.

I say all of this because I know how much it sucks to work a miserable job you don't like. I was a lawyer, after all (don't go to law school). There is probably a way for each and every vetgoon to get paid fat well enough to go to school that you can leave your current job and just go to school.

I also just had a full week off and in a month and a half I have almost two months off.

e: ALSO re: office hours - yes you should absolutely go. While I also like to beat my head against things and figure them out myself, the TAs and profs that have those hours are often just sitting there doing other work and would love to talk to you. When you go to them, you will get better grades and more doors will open for you. You absolutely want your profs to remember you for a good reason.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 7, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Despite having been in secondary school for almost longer than k-12 and the fact that my grades literally do not matter at my level, I still get mad at myself when I don’t know how to solve a problem on an exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

registered for the MCAT in january. oh boy.

Goonspeed, sir. You're gonna crush it.