Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
You'll probably get your money at the end of the month or on the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Wish the paid version of Adobe Acrobat wasn't so pricey, it's so useful for editing PDFs which is the file format for at least half of my programs documents. Got really used to using it in the Army and it's one of the few programs not offered for free through my school.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

McNally posted:

According to the VA my GI Bill has been processed and ought to hit my account in the next few days. Hooray!

Still unsure of the rate they're using for my MAH, though. The number they quoted me doesn't match my figures. It's fifteen dollars (total) less than a ridiculously high rate I found at militarybenefits.info that I wasn't able to verify anywhere else. Eh, I'll take it.

It might be because you might not have been enrolled in class all of January, you only get a full months BAH if you're enrolled for the entirety of the month.

Glad you're finally getting your GI Bill benefits though!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I would absolutely recommend looking into the rankings of the degree programs you're interested in and try to get into a decent one. The resources provided to help you along the way can be immense in higher ranked programs and practically non-existent in low to non-ranked programs. Networking is also much stronger in higher ranked programs which vastly increases your odds of finding a good job once you graduate.

Veterans are looked on favorably by admissions boards and a program you think you might not be eligible for could actually be entirely obtainable. The worst they can say is "no" so you may as well apply anyway.

I had a 2.7 undergrad GPA and a merely average quantitative test score yet I still got accepted into a highly ranked grad school program.

100% GI bill will cover your tuition for any public university, will also need something else like the yellow ribbon program to cover the costs of a private school.

Seriously, if you want to get the most out of your GI Bill then try to get into the best program you can for your chosen field.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I got my AA from a community college before finishing my BA at a public university. Unranked program, if I hadn't been accepted into an OCS contract I would have been stuck barely making more than poverty wages in Florida.

I think community colleges are great when you're still figuring out what you want to do but the networks and resources available to students in higher ranked programs are what sets them apart, I doubt the course material is much different.

You can look at the average starting salaries and employment prospects of particular programs and there is definitely a difference.

The GI Bill can be used at the worst school or one of the best, so why not get the most of it? If I had gone to a similar program in Oregon their average salary is almost half of what I can expect here in Seattle.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not really sure why, most of us are presumably using our GI Bill for career purposes. The cost of nearly every aspect of living in this country is on the rise.

I had a poo poo GPA and an unimpressive test score yet still managed to get into a highly competitive program. Being a veteran gives us a huge leg up over our civilian peers during admissions, I never would have gotten into this program if I hadn't been in the Army.

I really don't know what could be so debateable about higher ranked programs having better outcomes for their graduates or for suggesting veterans apply for programs they would otherwise not think they're qualified for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

You'll get BAH only for the dates your class covers. Though, if your advisor doesn't check the block that your class has non-standard dates I guess you could end up getting the full quarter/semester of BAH.