Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm in the geology club, which is basically just a scam to funnel money from the University's rec department to fund camping trips to National Parks and gold mine tours and poo poo like that. Rad as gently caress. Club chat here had me looking around for what else we have, and I sent an email to the gun club here. Club team that goes to skeet and trap competitions around the region, looks like it's only a few students.

Ace of Baes posted:

Everyone is like 18-22 except me and another vet the same age as me.

this is me, but at all times on campus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Tried both ways - I prefer in-class format, now. I was badly brainwashed by the military and need more structure than online classes offer.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
re: 10-pt pref
You have to talk to the voc rehab people to get your letter entered into the system. I recall people getting this brief rolled into the brief for voc rehab education benefits (since that's also part of that process). If you're over 30% disabled, then contact your voc rehab counselor and they can help you. I'm pretty sure it just means your SF-15 is entered into whatever system.

I did a volunteer internship this past summer at a research station. They almost exclusively host biology researchers, though not by design, so I was the only one there calling myself a geologist, but I got to help take measurements and survey stuff, and I can get a couple of good letters of rec. Went around with one dude to all these cow ponds and caught tadpoles and shrimp, did a lot of hiking and cruising around for snakes. It was really fun, and I'll go back this summer, but a high-pri long-term goal for me is to get a real paying internship or research assistant position before I finish my degree.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Melthir posted:

School goons, I got stationed shore side for the first time. What are some good online colleges wete I can start working tooward a mechanical engineering degree? Never done College before so all this poo poo is new and slightly terrifying.

use your local community college if you can - they'll almost certainly have online classes as well

doing that is how I got into a real college after the military

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm sorry

N4I isnt mod now wtf lol?

anyhow I'm going completely mental because i spent 1/3 of my life in the army and like what for most people were their early 20s dropping E in college and getting high and all that dumb poo poo I was having all my friends die and participating in the genocide of Iraq and I really loathe mself for being a part of that but I kinda got over it because hey at least under obama poo poo like gay marriage was approved and now I see these bans for refugees and poo poo and god drat I didn't literally ruin my life and mental health for this poo poo so sorry and I just want to burn everything down peace out

same

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

TBeats posted:

28 days til spring break woohoo!!

woo!

Who else is rushing?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I come to class every day with a molle backpack, a hat that came with velcro loop on it to which I have attached a subdued US Flag and my blood type, and my "service dog"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Deathy McDeath posted:

School related: back in November I applied for a pretty cool public policy fellowship (https://www.ppiaprogram.org/ppia/what-we-do/junior-summer-institutes/junior-summer-institutes/), which has the dual benefits of giving you money AND helping in graduate program applications. Well, earlier this month I found out that I was an alternate select to the fellowship at Carnegie Mellon. This was better than I expected, and waited for the day where they would inform us if any primaries had declined the fellowship so one of us alternate would be called up.

Well, that day was today, and I found out that all primaries had accepted their fellowships, so no dice for us poor alternate selects. Too bad!

good job / sorry

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
what started all this? Was it in class? Just some loon raving in the middle of campus?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
maybe I'm just a goody-two-shoes but I think people who casually cheat at school are scummy

- guy failing out of school

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my community college was also gross except it was in southern california so add in Vet Guy x4 to every class and maybe Homeless Guy x1 or 2

glad I made it to a real university

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Commoners posted:

Calculus makes me want to die.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I for one wish I had spent longer at city college grabbing my calculus and physics and poo poo rather than wasting whole semesters' worth of it failing those classes over and over again at a big university

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lightpole posted:

Tell him he should decide to be smart and not dumb.

really really good advice

This whole college thing would go a lot easier for me if I was smart and not dumb

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
^ The intro Chem and Physics classes at my university have hundreds of students per section. We took all of our exams for Gen Chem 1 and 2 in the basketball arena lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
*repeatedly barfs into pile of Field Geology homework*

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my school's vet org has a meeting once a month where you can get a free sandwich so I try to go to a couple of those every year

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I did a course on R this semester, it’s pretty easy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Nah, not a steep learning curve at all, if you know what statistics problem you’re trying to solve. I’m a geology major with no background at all in programming, and I had no problem banging out my labs with occasional googling.
R is free as well, so just pick it up if you ever need it for anything. Really cool product, I thought.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Stats & R, A-
Igneous & Metamorph Petrology, A-
Intro Field Geology, B
General Physics I, B-

Lol I’ll take that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

How hard is it to get an article published?

Talk to Faculty/Researchers at your school that are publishing the kind of poo poo you’re interested in. Your school probably already has a mechanism for undergrads to participate in research (i.e. publish an article or whatever)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lol I almost failed out this bitch my second year here, I wish I could hit a 2.9 in a bunch of math and hard science classes

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Taylor Series can blow me
Maclaurin too

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have a week and a final of this Calc II left and I am very glad for it. I did very poorly in math in high school, so I had to start my college math journey by taking remedial algebra evening classes on the navy base where I was stationed maybe 13 or 14 years ago, up through the trigonometry and all that basic stuff for years with various community colleges. For a long time, I really avoided math and thought I couldn't do it. This Calc II is the highest math I need for my major, though, so I've just about reached my summit in terms of math study.

really looking forward to immediately forgetting all of it next week

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

My message is don't go to law school. Although he doesn't post in GiP, I was successfully able to convince a goonvet to avoid it. I'm competing with people a decade younger than me for a bunch of sub $50k/yr jobs, and I can't even get those.

I'm really worried about this for myself. Gonna graduate with my BA in a year or a little more, but I don't really have any meaningful experience and I am getting older and dumber and more broken every day contrasted against my much younger colleagues. I am certain that I am super-duper hosed, absolutely nobody is going to hire me

lmao spending my GI Bill on a geology degree so I can make $13 an hour at whole foods

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I sure hope you're right. My university has a super-strong reputation in geoscience as well, which I hope will balance out my GPA dumpster fire

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you had the opportunity to look at internships anywhere? I really think that the people hiring geologists will be the type where veteran preference actually matters IE mostly feds and not exempted like lawyers are in some states.

You're right, there are a good number of government positions for geoscientists so my DD-214 might count for something. I'm sure the Oil & Gas world is pretty veteran-friendly as well. Wrt internships, I did two summers for the American Museum of Natural History, living and working at their research station in southeastern AZ, but it's not the sort of thing that you can get a permanent position from, and while I loved it so much there I went back for another go-round, it didn't do much for building up my skillset. Interns there wash dishes and mow, etc. I think this summer would have been the ideal time to get a summer internship (i.e. before going into my senior year), but I really needed this summer to get some powerful time sink classes done, namely my upper-division Writing and my Calc 2. I don't make the cut for even mildly competitive internships with my GPA at ~2.5, and I have no idea what prof I could ask for a recommendation... I think I am really loving this whole college thing up

Vasudus posted:

Generally speaking the more specialized your degree is, the more concrete your prospective market should be. Like yes, there are technically people with chemistry degrees working outside of the field; but you can get a degree in chemistry and at least be fit to clean test tubes or work for big oil. The more...nebulous your hard skills are, the less guaranteed your job may be in exchange for increased flexibility. Geology like the other natural sciences likely has an expected path if you wished to work in field. I suggest you research what that is.

This also applies to the level of education in your respective field. For instance, I have a masters in Sociology. I have a masters because a bachelors is absolutely without a doubt useless. There are no such thing as readily employable sociologists that have only a bachelors, not working in what would be considered 'in field' for that degree. However, because I have that, and because of the hard skills my degree brings (analysis, critical thinking, quantitative reasoning, statistics) I'm able to apply them to various labor efforts; none of them 'in field'. BUT, since I have *only* a masters, and not a PhD, I can't be considered for many (but not all) jobs that would classify me as a subject matter expert. So I'm in the middle where I'm given a lot of tools to work with and a lot of options, but my hard skills and credentials alone do not open any *specific* doors.

Thanks for posting. This is another big concern of mine. I see positions out there for geologists with Bachelor's degrees, but I hear all the time that the "working" degree for a geologist is typically a Master's. Earth Sciences is an incredibly broad, highly inter- and multidisciplinary umbrella, so I guess specialization is pretty important, but gently caress dude I am just not up for signing up for who knows how many more years of school. I feel and have felt for a couple of years now that starting this whole college education thing was just a real big misstep for me, but I'm at the point now where if I don't wrap up the degree, then I really wasted several years of my life sitting in lecture halls. Hell, maybe I'll graduate and jump right into an OK job somewhere, but to be perfectly honest I don't think college will ever "pay off" for me.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

not caring here posted:

You could probably look at the national geospatial intelligence agency. Apparently pretty vet friendly.

Incidentally, a good friend of mine from high school has been working for them for a couple of years, now - on Ft. Meade, I think? He's a GIS guy, and since GIS is a fundamental part of the geoscience skillset these days I took a summer class on Arc. He said it's probably worth my applying, especially if I learn some Python, so thanks for the tip.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Did the scholarship say it would only pay to tuition? If you're applying for a scholarship that will only cover tuition, yeah, welp you've already got that. Keep looking and applying for money, especially grants as mentioned. One of my buddies here has gotten around $20k this year off of "other expenses associated with attending" -type scholarships. He's a real academic superstar, so mileage varies

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Viva Miriya posted:

this still isn't real to me

bz, buddy

I passed Calc II, I'm pretty stoked about it. I actually really think I can earn my bachelor's degree for the first time. It's crazy to think about how I got here.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

I took it 15 years ago in community college but my university is only giving me transfer credit for I, so I'm retaking II this fall. You got any tips what to review to prep myself?

Maybe obvious, but if you can't just whip out simple Power Rule and u-sub indefinite integrals the day you walk in, you are starting way behind the blocks.

Trig identities, too

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

VR&E denied my college plans, so now I’m gonna see if I have enough time to use post 9/11. Class starts Sep 5. How hosed am I?

Yeah when I went to Voc Rehab the guy really didn't seem to think finishing my degree was a very good idea

Big part of why I feel like this was all a big mistake lol whoops guess I just wasted 4 years of my life

In any case, my GI Bill processing stuff only ever takes a week or two, so you should be good as long as you are still within your university's deadlines for getting registered and everything

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
hell the gently caress yeah, got an interview Friday morning to be a research assistant

need some dude to run a machine that shoots laser beams at little tiny rocks to measure them

i can be your dude for that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This professor wants to reschedule our interview for an internship to Monday or Tuesday, but I have a campground reserved in Yellowstone NP starting Tuesday. Was gonna go there for my vacation for the last week before school starts, my girlfriend took off work and I have friends coming and everything. I said I'd be unavailable in my cover letter from this weekend to the first day of classes, but I guess I could do Monday morning and leave for the mountains right after

I need experience and recommendations and a little walkin around money would be great, but I don't want to give away three days of roadtripping just for an interview to not get a job after I already laid out that I wouldn't be available then lol I thought I was done with groveling to nobility for a living

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Is there some thing happening where GI Bill will magically pay 9 extra months for STEM majors? It's something I heard through the grapevine yesterday, but wasn't sure if it's some far future thing or something I can actually utilize myself (ie to get another semester or two before my GI Bill runs out)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

There is a thing but it's very selective as far as I know.
https://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/FGIBSummaries.asp#111

Thanks for looking this up for me. Doesn't look like it applies to me, my program doesn't have a real crazy credit-hour requirement.
I have enough GI Bill to pay for this year and some summer field courses, but that's all I need to graduate, anyway.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

mods changed my name posted:

it's going to be a long semester

I took Gender and Sexuality in Ancient Rome, a cross-listed Classics and Gender Studies class. It was damned interesting.

Lol that poor girl would probably fail it:
How can we know anything from a few dozen sentence fragments!!??

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm taking Geomorphology, Structural Geology, and Fluid Earth (like intro to Fluid Dynamics for Earth Science) this semester. Hopefully, I walk out to look at the mountains one day and it's like Neo when he can read the Matrix

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
A dude wore a halter top to a class yesterday. A buddy of mine kept trying to make jokes but every time he turned to me I just kept repeating, "who gives a gently caress" until he stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

boop the snoot posted:

Undergrad ruled because no matter how much it sucked it was always 100000000000000000^infinity better than the goddamn military.

Better than any security blanket