Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
gently caress why why why didn't I just drop all my classes when I could have gotten away for free god drat it

i am out of my depth in this fluid class lmao what the actual gently caress was i thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I can withdraw for 40% of tuition ($3500)

I should calm down. I am at best not getting this first paper turned in and doing okay anyway but will much more likely continue to stumble my way through this course for a low C lol business as usual why did I ever get myself into this I could already have a job washing dishes or sweeping at a construction site

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

Relax, breathe, start showing up for all of the office hours your professors offer. I had classes in undergrad I really struggled with that I made through just by putting in the face time with the teacher. The big thing is you need to find something to help you chill, since going through school stressed makes it just that harder.

I am trying, but I am seriously freaking out. Mostly I'm just having a struggle with the difficult abstract reasoning that I'm being asked to do for the first time in my life well into my thirties lol, but also about graduating and how hosed I am when the GI Bill runs out and how much good experience I've missed by not being a research bitch for some lab here etc

Sometimes I wish I'd studied some squishy geography or whatever, but more often I wish I'd never gotten tied up in all this.
lol I'd be like that guy who's always talking about how he did ROTC for 5 weeks or something, but instead be like, "yeah, I almost enrolled in university, but I've always had bad knees brains"

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
That may vary school to school
I don't think my veterans service office ever vetted my class choices

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
This spring and summer I take some more field courses and physics II and then I can graduate with my BA in geology. It looks like a lot of the entry-level bachelor's degree level work for geologists is in environmental-type stuff, so I'm taking field hydrogeology. I guess this summer or fall I should try to get the OSHA HAZWOPER cert and try to find a job.
I'm really scared, I dunno how any of working world works, and when I look at indeed or whatever, it just looks to me I am in a bad spot. I don't know what to put on my resume and I feel like a fool when I think about my "employment" history -- I was a supply clerk in the Navy for 10 years, and now I am just a broke idiot old man barely passing undergraduate courses. I have two finals this week, but the die has already been cast in that fluid mechanics class, just waiting to see if I passed lol

o gods of geology i beseech thee please don't make me go to grad school

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Ok, I got a C in that fluid class. Christmas miracle in my book.
I am still on my way to graduating. But more importantly, I think I learned my lesson. Never study science or anything else at college. I know better now than to ever go to college again lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Soulex posted:

I want to start my own media company. What would be a good resource to take advantage of during my last year in college business wise?

i have no idea but i am v high and prepared to shitpost

probably check out any high-end or specialized film/video equipment you want to play with

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
try out a weird "rig" you've always wanted to use

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

grad school is the new undergrad amiright

lol yesterday was the drop deadline so I laid awake in bed until midnight staring at the ceiling and wondering if it is even worthwhile to finish my BA

i mean obviously the pride I will feel as the only dishwasher in the restaurant with a degree will be worth more than any money

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MrDesaude posted:

I miss the Army...

no

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
another lab tech position opened at my university. Working on my cover letter:

"The job is 10 hours a week at 10 dollars an hour -- you want three professional references for that? Do you really need to hear from the manager of a grocery store or a coffee shop about how well I can clean glassware? Where the hell would some 20-year old undergrad have three "professional" references from?

This particular intersection of capitalism and education has disgusted me. Reading this job listing is one one of these moments where I can tell with absolute crystal clarity that going to college was a seriously bad decision for me. I'd rather get evicted from my student apartment hovel than come grovel for $75/wk, and I pity any of my fellow students who feel differently.

None of those questions were literal inquiries; please don't contact me."

what do you guys think? I dunno it just doesn't flow right to me, but I'm not sure how to re-arrange it
he's not a professor, he's a lab manager at some other part of campus, so I have no idea what kind of backlash I would face from sending this guy a GFY letter

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I assumed you would get kicked out of the university for formally on the record telling a professor to go gently caress themselves, but to be totally honest, I really have no idea what kind of actual administrative consequences would come about from such a thing

i hate all these loving people now and I sincerely wish I had dropped out after freshman year and failing Calc 2 the first time, so I wouldn't have to hear all this "you can't drop out now, you're too close to graduating" horseshit. Attending university is #3 on my list of bad life decisions right under Re-enlisting at #1 and Enlisting at #2.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Master's is the standard working degree for geologists, so you can have learned some kind of specialty beyond the standard rock-knowledge undergrad.

I've done a pretty poor job of undergrad and don't really like it anymore, so I've decided I'd rather make $13/hr as an "environmental tech" or whatever than try to do grad school right now. I don't really know how it works or if it will even be an option anymore in five years, but I seriously simply would not succeed at it if I got shoved into it right now. I don't think taking a few years to work and figure out what my field is will help, either lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

App13 posted:

With your veteran status I recommend looking into USGS/EPA technician positions. The starting pay is the same as private sector (crappy) but the quality of life is way higher and you have more room to grow.

thanks

I sometimes see a few jobs here and there that seem like I am qualified for (or will be next year with a degree in hand) on the usajobs. I'd like to get in around GS-5, maybe like a pathways internship or whatever. My upper-division classwork and half of my field studies are in hydrogeology and other near-surface processes so I guess I'm in one of the more marketable geo- fields of study. I guess I should write an extremely verbose resume

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

App13 posted:

Yep GS-11 is PhD land, GS-9 if you’re in a highly educated area.

At my job they just hired on 2 GS-5’s with masters degrees and a bunch of experience, a a GS-9 with her PhD and postdoc experience. It’s insane.

To put this in perspective, GS5 pays like $17/hr here and it’s a scientific research agency with fierce competition

Pathways internships are dope and definitely the way to go if you’re still in school. I graduate in May and already have a full time position in my dream agency thanks to completing my pathways program

I've seen a lot of Pathways positions that were for recent grad or early-arc grad students, too but building resume and applying to stuff now won't hurt. I don't think I can really work until my classes are over, though. I'm just barely surviving my studies as it is.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

I went to Clarkson, and they used it as one of the engineering student gates since it's a small engineering school. Freshman curriculum is 6 credits each of calculus, calculus-based physics, and chemistry with a lab component. You live through that and they let you do thermo in year 2, which usually nails that last few people who aren't sure about being engineers.

The whole year of calc + chem w/ lab + physics is part of my background requirements for my geology degree, but I don't think I'd have made the cut if I'd tried to just ram through it all in Freshman year.

It actually might have been a better strategy than spreading them out, but who knows

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here taking a bullshit 1-unit animal sciences course trying to slide in to 12 units for full-time financial aid consideration. I'm trying to milk this GI bill, not kill myself.

Ehhh don't listen to these fuckin try-hards around here

One of my buddies who finished college on the GI Bill told me as a freshman to just try to stick to full-time and not get crazy with it. I went with that. While it did take a summer class every year, I have made it through my degree requirements in 4 years, and would have had money for a minor or a cleverly-overlapped double major if I hadn't wasted so much time failing calc 2 repeatedly

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

GD_American posted:

In case it wasn't obvious above, I fully realize I could never hack a fraction of the math or science poo poo y'all do, and instead took the time-honored path for sub-par intellects.

don't worry, I'm studying science but doing a poor enough job of it that my degree will never be worth anything

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My partner and I couldn't schedule with each other to meet and log these rock cores, so we both just lone-wolfed a group project worth three labs.

Got it back today with an 86 (pretty good in my book)

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have an undergrad geology degree from a big research university now. Final overall GPA is 2.5. It seems from the job ads that I have just spent 4 years loving my life up. I don't know why I came here. I'm going to empty some CDs to buy a car this week so I can try to find work. I've been looking at retarded clickbait lists of affordable cities for recent grads. One recommended Denver, Seattle, and San Diego lmao
I think I'm gonna buy a handgun along with the car. I don't really see the next five or ten years going any better.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just hope I can find a better career as an financial analyst or compliance officer than I have as an attorney.

e: just received formal acceptance. :unsmith:

go get 'em buddy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I shouldn't have said anything about my graduation, since now I'm failing Physics II, like, bad. It's probably on me for trying to ram it through during summer session with grad application pending, but it's literally the very last class I need

My exam scores have gone 24, 48, 32
My score on Exam 1 and on 3 were the lowest in the class lol I feel like I'm leaving the university in absolute disgrace

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Choked.
Completely folded under pressure.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
4 weeks isn't enough time to cover 4 credits + a 1 credit lab of difficult material. Office Hours were never going to help wity weekly exams and multiple homework assignments daily, because there wasn't enough time. I'll just take it at community college and transfer it in and then apply for my degree again. I can take a year before the university throws me out and I have to reapply for admission.
I had to take Physics 1 twice, and I'm super dumb with Calculus, so it's not a big surprise or anything, but I'm feeling pretty embarrassed over the whole thing.
I was taking the class with some friends, so I didn't get to fail in comfortable privacy, and like 6 people I've known for several years get to watch me flame out. I was planning on having the degree done while I look for jobs -- now I just have to search for shittier jobs

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My turn to walk was in May, but I noticed that no part of the process for participating in all that involved actual graduation. You can just get a gown and join the ceremony any time they have one lol

In any case, I didn't walk bc I don't have a "proud" setting in my brain. A lot of my friends from my grad class were disappointed. I never even told my family I'm graduating.

I can't really say when I'll graduate for real until I find a community college, but I guess I could this winter if I jump on that asap

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Geology coursework was really fun most of the time, but the year each of calc, chem and physics has been a real pain in the neck

I got to do lots of hiking and a little camping and made my own maps and poo poo

You could study art history or something

World's your oyster, it's your gi bill. Pick a good school and study anything that tickles your fancy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I got to look at a bunch of space rocks in thin section + some thin sections and hand samples brought back by Apollo missions this year and they were some of the raddest rocks I've ever seen

My hands were shaking like a leaf taking the thin sections out of the case. I've never held something so priceless and precious in my whole life

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am 34 and re-taking Physics 2 like an rear end in a top hat

I will never have my poo poo together! Do you hear me? Never!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, that's not assholish at all. Lots of people have to retake phys 2 or calc 2. They're not easy classes. They're weed out classes for a lot of stem majors, and you get fed a lot of bullshit.

If you don't have a strong math background, you have to learn that on top of learning the actual calculations.

There's a formula for basically everything, though, and hearing everything the second time will be mostly refreshing your memory. You're going to come out with a high B to a low A out of your retake.

lol yeah Physics 1 took two tries and Calc 2 took three. All my friends are telling me to chill about it as well
It's just embarrassing because I thought I was gonna be able to graduate after this summer but NOPE here I am for one more fall semester and I've already run into a bunch of people who were like "oh, thought you were done"
Summer session Physics 2 + lab was just plain too much too fast for me. At least I got the lab knocked out.
Edit: on top of that, it's my last 4 months of GI Bill, so a little bit more pressure to really not gently caress it up this time

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat bummer city in this thread

My cohort had a car salesman and a real estate agent in their 40s. It’s never too late wtf

Besides, outside of being a freshmen at a university because you could afford to skip junior college, the age range is pretty varied I feel. Though of course probably field dependent

There are honestly a ton of older students in my program (undergrad geology at a state flagship research school), including a handful that I know personally in their 30's. As much as I like to bitch and moan about how old I am, it's not a big deal irl

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 28, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lmao a company sent me a "sorry, you're overqualified" email

Wtf I have basically never had a real job

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I've been seeing chalked sidewalk touting her visit here on my campus, too
The University probably hasn't approved real flyers lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i want to get a job at a palce that makes you wear a tie so I can get a bolo tie

are you a geologist

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The Gentleman's C

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lmao if they think they'll ever get me on a college campus for anything besides a football game, library or night at the theater ever again

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I posted this in another thread, but I just realized this morning that I'm probably going to graduate with like a month and a half of benefits left and it just doesn't feel right.

You should have just taken Calculus II three times and Phys I and II each twice like I did and you wouldn't have that problem

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my university didn't have a PE requirement at all, but the gym was loving insane

lots of classes yoga martial arts etc, indoor track, outdoor swimming pool that isn't even open during the school year, two swimming pools (one with a diving well), an ice rink, legit rock climbing gym, absolutely the most beautiful weightroom I ever saw - two long rows of fully modular power racks and nothing but bumper plates

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I hadn't been planning to attend my graduation, but Dan Carlin is the speaker

I just might have to set aside seventeen hours for a four part commencement speech

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah pretty sure anybody can walk right the hell in, but the stadium has a clear bag policy you should know up front

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Guess it depends on the school. A lot have crazy restrictions on all that

unlimited seating, no tickets required

Another fair warning, we got several inches of wet snow for last year's ceremony, so bring your snivel gear of choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If the compound is Al(NO3)3, then it's not an N3, it's three NO3's
For the stoichiometry it doesn't really matter, but it will matter when you get to redox