Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Google office suite was super handy in my college degree for anything where you had to collaborate with fellow students. Even so, I really needed Office to write anything that included math symbols. I realize that's not a universal concern, and LaTeX mentioned above might honestly be a better option if you're doing a whole lot of math/science writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My local community college has a one semester certificate, I'd like to get, and I have a month left on my GI Bill to pay for it. Would I be able to pursue that after graduating with my bachelor's?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Yeah, I know the month of remaining benefit-hours will pay the tuition up front (but not the living stipend for class time after exhaustion of benefits), no problem there. My question is whether the classes would be eligible, given that they are community college classes, so presumably 1000- or 2000-level and I have already finished my bachelor's. My guess was that you could only use the benefits for progressively higher levels of education, i.e. it won't pay for more undergrad, but I could use it towards graduate studies. I have no idea if that's correct, though.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Also I want to burn that last month so I can have my $1200 back

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not letting University of Phoenix swindle troops out of their GI Bill sounds cool to me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not only that, but don't forget you get your pay at the end of a given month, never up front. Every vet student I knew had a tight month here or there

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I volunteered most of the summer for two years and always felt the crunch the first few months back to class in early fall as I scrabbled to get over missing several months' of pay. Winters weren't so bad, since our fall semesters usually went into December, so I got at least some kind of check on New Year's

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Cojawfee posted:

I found out today that I got into Texas A&M. Hopefully things are better by the fall

Congrats and good luck on your studies

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
i will never go to alabama for any reason, even if you have to suffer for it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat that was quick i could've sworn you started that this year

Grats tho

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

JUST GO DO FINANCE CRIME ALREADY

it's perfect since a lawyer knows the law you he'll know exactly how not to get caught

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vasudus posted:

i will never go back to school

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

My undergraduate advisor sat me down and asked me to join his research team since they're spinning up a group specifically for underwater research. Four year PhD program, paid tuition.

"Ahh and it comes with a nice paid stipend of $24,000 a year!"

My rent living here is $1300/mo, so I noped right out of that.

The trick is to think about it against a regular hourly wage job. Since academics basically never actually have time off because you have to read and write and pull your hair out in front of spreadsheets or walls of code even when you're in your lovely little apartment, it would really work out to like $6 or $7 hourly

Pretty good deal, if you think about it!

...no, not for you, obviously

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

two weeks out from doing gen chem 1 and calc 1 in six weeks total. should be fun. at least i can't go outside anwyay

wow gently caress that

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

maffew buildings posted:

In theory intro chem should have me pretty good to go for gen 1. Calc I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my rear end kicked

Nah don't freak out, calc 1 is honestly pretty cool and useful

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had to take Calc II three times, that class can suck my dick. Paul's online math notes and khanacademy are super useful tho

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Literally like ten seconds after my Gen Chem 1 Lab TA gave a spiel about not dropping crucibles because they break super easy and you have to buy a new one, I dropped my crucible and broke it and had to buy a new one. So at least you don't have to do that.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Stick with it. Calc 2 is a sadistic class, always has been. There's a good chance thise exam scores will result, in the end, with what we often call a gentleman's C.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Taylor and Maclaurin series were invented by research mathematicians in the pocket of Big Notebook in order to make students use more notebook paper writing out tedious bullshit

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Vinegar is dilute acetic acid

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My university ran about $22k/yr for in-state and about $65k/yr for international students

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I finally framed my diploma. Only took several loving months.

fuckin love it

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

A student visa to the UK is like $1,000. gently caress me.

Once? Post your gofundme, I'll give you $20 right the gently caress now

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 18, 2022

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 18, 2022

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah