Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

ok this is good to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Tiggum posted:

Frog Applause

I can't help but see this as a loss edit.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

If Slylock Fox were here, he'd never let her get away with that visibly steaming cup of coffee. :colbert:

Inspector Danger would have shot Tiffany.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

...and the pitch! posted:

Kids and their Hercules movies these days. Haw haw haw.

"These movies and music from the 50's give me warm fuzzy feelings of my childhood" - A child

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

This bothered me as a kid. Why did they switch places in the middle of the night?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Selachian posted:

I dun geddit.

be long.

be short.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Cockapoo is a cross between a poodle and a cocker spaniel.

Poof is the sound of a magician disappearing.

Mike Lester is a bad person.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Good bye Chief Dharma, you were my favorite. Thanks for taking the time to translate and post.

Did they ever explain why Pru is sticking around? I thought she lived and worked in NYC.

I think she moved there full time because the people are so lovable and she gets to spend time with her friend's ex.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

I'd hate to see what the Phantom does to caricature artists at the fair who want to draw him....

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Tina's Groove is taking on an Arlo and Janis vibe today.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Slammy posted:

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Alright, I have been reading this for some time. This guy has no redeeming values and I'm not entirely sure why this was so popular.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

...and the pitch! posted:

He's a bloke. That's it.

If comics needed redeeming value this would be a sparse thread.

Yeah, I guess. There have been a bunch of comics where the punchline is "Time to beat my wife" and that doesn't sit well with me.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Um... they used the wrong time change.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Tiggum posted:

It takes two people to create Dustin.

And the artist is actually kinda decent compared to a bunch of the other comics in this thread. The writer can go suck some assnips though.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Pastry of the Year posted:

Comic Strip Megathread XVII: Jimbo's Desire for Me to Gain Weight Has Become Absurd

I bet the author was just trying to think of a quirk for Jimbo that was silly. He underestimated the fetish potential of humankind.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Um.... do many wedding cakes have candles on them?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Endless Mike posted:

I like that the Sally Forth characters all work through and resolve their problems in a good, realistic fashion. In stark contrast to the Luann cast.

You seem to be under the impression that the Luann characters are ever wrong about their problems. They're perfect.

Except Tiffany that bitchy popular girl who sleeps around and no one likes or spends time with.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Tinkersons is just so goddamn lazy in its writing and its art. I just can't fathom how this person maintains a job.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I wonder if Brooke will have a long boring convoluted storyline about this new romance with people we don't know and/or care about.

I'd say he'd repeat it ad nauseum but I vomited a few months ago.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

She's Rex's kid all right.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

That's... I don't know, this comic just has a way of dialog that makes no sense. It seems that the author WANTS to tell a joke, or something resembling one. But has no idea of subtlely, art or nuance.

Wife: Here, standing husband, I will give you 10 dollars for no reason.
Daughter: I will take those ten dollars from you.

Everyone else has their hate comics in this thread. This is mine.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (August, 1940, click for big)

I'm the guy in the third row.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mozz is full of poo poo though because hawaiian shirt dude has an AR-15 not a handgun

I just call every gun I see a "glock". It works out fine.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Why does Peter Parker ski in a luchador mask?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Is Kit asleep like that?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

WindyMan posted:

That's an unusually high(ish)-detailed look at Kit's face.

yep, we're all gonna die.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Ein cooler Typ posted:

do teenage girls even still text like Meg

I think the inclusion of full keyboards on phones instead of the awful keypad texting from the 90's has made people able to type as well as they normally do.

They still use stupid internet slang, but nothing seen here. "b/c" maybe.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze cameos.

That dude looks like Guy Gilchrist. Man, Working Daze and Modern Nancy together - It's everything we as a thread deserve.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

It's 2017, right? This comic is not from the 1970's and for some reason being released now, right?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Aw, that sucks. It was always one of the better strips in this thread. I'm glad that she's found a good opportunity and will continue to work with Rhymes with Orange but yeah, it sucks to see one of the good ones go while the crappy ones live forever.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
That joke about Gil up there made me actually go through the Retail archives. I swear that strip reads more like a webcomic than a newspaper strip.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I think this week is the week we finally form a mob and go to Bud Grace's door with torches and pitchforks.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

kidcoelacanth posted:

Baldo engaging in some subtle racial discourse I see

I'm not sure it's subtle. I think the old guy is accusing him of being an illegal immigrant due to his ethnicity. I think I'll need to see the rest of the week's comics to be sure though.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

faaaaaaart Ok we can stop this strip now, right?

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Yep, a dog's face melting on the funny pages.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Man, Spider-Man could really use some sort of early warning system for when something that could be a danger to him is coming close. Some sort of sixth sense.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The next Spider-Man movie should have Mole-Man proposing to Aunt May.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Julet Esqu posted:

Any real person would just call it the Konami code, but no, Zakour thinks he has to show off his nerd cred and torpedo the joke by saying the whole sequence. "Konami code" is quick and to the point. You read it, you get it, you roll your eyes at the nerds and move on. Spelling out the whole sequence just makes you wonder how the hell this guy is supposed to have entered it into an ATM keypad.

It's infuriating because he thinks he has to explain the joke to people who don't get it, but he does so by explaining the wrong thing.

"See Roy, I told you entering the Konami Code wouldn't get you unlimited funds. The ATM is not Contra."

"I am a hideous manbaby."

Much better dialog.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Holbrook's comics are like fetish comics where he forgot to put any fetish stuff in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

computer angel posted:

I forget where FOOB takes place. Northern Ontario or Manitoba? If so he's absolutely right about there being no ideal seasons. The weather is basically frigid punctuated by horseflies.

It's strange. Winnipeg has been pretty much bug free this summer.

It's still super hot and humid, but I can live with that.

• Locked thread