Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Julet Esqu posted:

I think it's because he's a shy peer? (Or pooper, even. Hard to say.) So she painted it to look like Home Base so he'd have an easier time squeezing something out. How she could possibly have known about his problem in the time they had to get to know each other is beyond me.

That, and because a grown man who has travelled internationally (he's from Engerland, plus he's a professional musician) was deeply shocked to find out that a flight from NY to Hong Kong was, like, long.

No idea now why they're dressed like acolytes out of a 1970s made-for-TV dystopia film for their sexy-hand-time, but at least he's not wearing that skanky rollneck and mac anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Shouldn't it be a drawing of a bootblack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gE7hrwm1w

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 8, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

But now he's going to bring them over to England for an English marriage. Buckle in for an England swings like the pendulum do taste of Blighty :allears:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Fitzgerald, huh. Could be worse; Brooke could be folding into the dialogue references to James Joyce's letters to Nora Barnacle.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/74934/13-nsfw-lines-james-joyces-incredibly-dirty-love-letters

Also: my uptight American parents were more stodgy and scandalised when me and pre-Mr Boods were in a relationship than my future English in-laws ever were (my parents either forced him to sleep in another room or for us to stay at a hotel, but Mr Boods' mum assumed we'd bunk up together in the guest room).

This has me giggling.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

He never saw Casablanca? :sever:

Seriously, though, he's never heard of Casablanca? One of the most beloved and referenced movies ever made?

Hey, he's a busy student, and probably just hasn't had time to scroll up that cinema.

As for the Intellegent Life 'Lot-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-ts'

Maybe baldy guy's mum works in a pharmacy selling fishy aftershaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gE_DepZM0

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

It's like deja vu

Ms Boods posted:

Maybe baldy guy's mum works in a pharmacy selling fishy aftershaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gE_DepZM0

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Given that it's VHS, is it's a commercially produced tape, there probably isn't more than 1 or 2 episodes per tape (6 if it's homemade).

So with luck Sluggo's got himself Spock's Brain and maybe the other one with the space hippies or something.

The Beanie and Cecil tape -- ugh. There was, I think, only one produced on VHS because I remember my mum being so happy to find it. My brother, who is now 62, was crazy about Beanie and Cecil when he was a little boy, 3 or 4 years old, so that would have been 1957 or 8.

Also, isn't Sluggo himself only about 7 or 8? Maybe it's just me, but a little boy like that :swoon: over jiggle-TV seems a little creepy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

That is the single greatest panel ever drawn!

I swear I would make it my new avatar, but I couldn't bare to crop any of it out.

Couldn't you make it into a set of avatar-sized squares and put them together as a .gif? So it starts as the Phantom asking them how they're doing, cuts to various shots of the guys in the back, ends on Devil riding shotgun, for example.

(I'm clueless how these things work, so no idea if that's a daft idea or a possible solution).

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

The Phantom

Not really awake here, me, and on scrolling down thought that the Phantom had offed the old comic-book guy from Rex Morgan.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, he's been keeping busy, making stew, going to see The Band that Sang California Lady, and putting together slide shows.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

My mood is sour, marking shite papers and dealing with a final year student situation that has all of the potential for a long, drawn out issue of appeals and Christ knows what else...I'll just check on the funnies thread, that always che--

oh for gently caress's sake. t :mad:

Kennel posted:

Today's Dogg

Somehow, some way, someone with actual photoshop skills needs to swop this creature's face with the one I made with that cat algorithm

PS -- the actual lyrics

Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have it all, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Two Americans almost meet in Africa...sexual tension...one returns home.

Wolves howl...children of the night...Johnny runs the ranch.

Owl stares...it's almost tornado season....trip to South Dakota...

Flag on the moon...how'd it get there?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Why yes, when I'm focused on writing, I like stopping every 2.30 - 3 minutes to change a 45 rpm record.

And seeing George Harrison in this awful strip* pisses me off. :mad:

*Not Nancy itself, of course, but this travesty of a zombie strip, &c.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

Does she have horns?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I can't wait to see what interrupts them and prevents Mark from taking Rusty fishing this time!

My guess is that it'll be something along the lines of the beetlejuice voodoo headshrinking that's kicking off in that last panel.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Kennel posted:

Nancy

Hail Satan!

Random trivia: Fritzy Ritz started running the same year Alexander Graham Bell died. Let's ignore the whole Bell-Gray debaucle for the moment, and consider that telephones were in practical use by the 1880s.

Where am I going with this? gently caress knows, I'm tired, it's been a long day, so in short, gently caress Guy Gilchrist.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

gleebster posted:

In one of Paul Fussell's books, he said that in 1939, you could buy a cavalry saber at Harrod's in London.

As late as the 1960s, you could buy a lion at Harrods

http://www.alioncalledchristian.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-da0AZcRU

Ruthie's a little old for it, but there's always Go Dog, Go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Bright-Early-Board-Book/dp/0553521098/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZJKRK31CGTD1S840GZ50

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 16, 2017

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

:siren: Chuck Berry died, brace for impact whenever Gilchrist's buffer catches up :siren:

If his tribute strip doesn't feature Phil Fumble spying on a droopy-eyed Fritzy whilst she's in the ladies', I shall write a strongly worded letter to the syndicate.

But

BigglesSWE posted:

It's going to be Cringechrist from here on.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

It had better involve stew.

Kennel posted:

Today's Dogg

The artwork here is roughly on the level of the cuyyyyyte stuff certain girls in my long-ago fifth-grade class drew all over their notebooks.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

As dumb as this strip is*, I have to report that my useless sister did something like this when she was like 11-12 years old (I have her diary from then, and she goes on about playing with kids only because she likes their toys, not the kids themselves).

*I get through this strip by assuming the dad is meant to be Nicholas Cage, kinda the way I get through the TIME FOR TO BE CUTE bizarro deformed baby = Tor Johnson for me.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

Whatever you do, Ziggy, do NOT summon Coily!

No.....springs?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

CommaToes posted:

Um.... do many wedding cakes have candles on them?

It's Britain; they're not candles, they're bollards.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, because all small children in 2017 quote from 1970s ad campaigns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kh9eV7y5s8

(I know the campaign/slogan continued, but I remember this advert vividly from childhood)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Here's an article on the race

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/paris-or-bust-the-great-new-york-to-paris-auto-race-of-1908-116784616/

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

The_Other posted:

I wonder if that was how this comic was originally published. Wasn't Lynn editing these reprints at one point?

I had most of the Foob collections when they originally came out; I do'nt remember this one at all. (Hasn't she been plugging in completely new retro-strips amongst the originals?)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

spookygonk posted:

I've been catching up on the last couple of days worth of comic strips and can't believe no one picked up on The Monument to Toothache by Mariana Shumkova.

I'd still rather gaze on that than the Precious Moments figurines that Guy Gilchrist has turned Nancy and Sluggo into.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

I can sort of understand that award, the art in Dustin is excellent, and if you're the sort of sheltered old fart who gets to vote for awards recipients you wouldn't be put off by the strip's asinine complaints about millennials.

I clicked on the link with a sinking feeling it would be Guy Gilchrist.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

This strip is ordinarily one I hate-read, but double-gently caress this one. I've been teaching for over 25 years, and I still get the 'Oh, must be nice to work only eight hours a week, six months of the year' bullshit from my mother (who remains convinced I have only a 'part time' job) and from my in-laws (who ask me every March when classes end if I'm going to pick up a second job to tide me over til late September). It took about two years' living together to train the current Mr Boods out of that mindset.

/pet-peeve

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

When I was around 7 or so, my oldest brother scored for me a load of comic books that included stuff like Archie, Richie Rich, and, yes, Nancy. I still have vivid memories of reading those comics outside under my favourite tree, the smell of the ink, listening to my brother tinkering with one of his cars.

If I had one of those Nancy comics now, I'd find Guy Gilchrist, and re-enact that scene from Alien where Ash tries to ram a magazine down Ripley's throat.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I wonder if this is an IMPORTANT PHOTOGRAPH

Re: Nancy & Frititzi's Beach Boys obession: 'Kokomo' is Mike Love's poo poo. Figures (I love Brian Wilson, but ML is a dick)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I don't know why I ever question anything about this shite, but who on earth locks up the children's summer toys til early July?* Don't US school kids get finished in May/June? (depending on the school, I guess -- mine finished in late May/first week of June). The kids don't finish the school yeat til mid/late July, but I've seen plenty of them out playing on skateboards and scooters and stuff during half-terms and Easter break prior to then.

*Especially when there's been plenty of strips showing Fritzi out sunbathing with her transitor radio and all that poo poo.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

Don't lie. You saw no such thing. Kids don't like dangerous hobbies.

If anybody has his finger on the pulse of youth culture today, It's definitely Muppet Babies' Guy Gilchrist.

Busted! :(

Well, then, here's something I do know a little about cos in a past life I used to teach a module on the history of pop music, and Ripley's left out the good part:

The plan was to use the teleharmonium to provide piped in music to hotels and dance-rooms from a distance, mainly because the instrument was not portable by any stretch of the imagination (the first one weighed 7 tons; the next model weighed about 200 tons). It was cobbled together using parts from a telephone switchboard, because when it was invented in the 1890s, the only means to electric amplification were telephones -- this is long before the days of electric recording and playback (and before the days even of Johnson's perfected mechanical gramophones and Victrolas.) It's also the age before valves (or vacuum tubes), so it was a hell of a drain on the local power supply to get this thing working. It was as if P D Q Bach actually saw his pandemonium realised.

That said, because the instrument used telephone switchboard keys to make each note, it could play only one note at a time. And it needed other phones to be able to listen to it -- so matey (it was invented by Thaddeus Cahill), commandeered the phone system in his part of New York City. There were some public performances, but it was mostly a novelty thing -- read the Wikipedia article linked below for how they got the thing to work!

This was not a by-choice streaming service for teleharmonium fans: he brought East side business to a screaming halt, because people picked up the phones to hear this guy playing away on this mad instrument. Eventually a group of angry folks broke into the warehouse where the original instrument was housed, busted it up, and tossed the bits into the East River. Cahill built others, but ended up scrapping them as they just could not reach the commercial potential envisioned -- ballrooms in Boston, for example, having teleharmonium music phoned in from New York, &c.

More about it here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telharmonium

More detailed article http://synthmuseum.com/magazine/0102jw.html

There are no contemporary recordings, but this documentary has a recreated one, and starts out with what the original instrument would have sounded like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TunkjJvbrHs

Enjoy!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Who sunbathes on their lawn, anyway?

Soz double post -- just Gilchrist showing his age again; I remember my sister and her friends doing so back in the late 60s, when we lived in a typical surburan housing development.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Yes, because 8 (?) year olds in 2017 know the words to showtunes from Porgy and Bess.

Boring :corsair: story: when I was around 11 or 12, a pal and I were in the 'student activity room' at school (basically a place to house us during freetime) and were playing around with an electronic toy. One winning one of the games, this mournful little tune tinkled out of the toy, and we had no idea what it was, til our teacher sang it for us. So, yeah, a pair of 11 year olds in 181977 didn't recognise 'Summertime.' gently caress off, Gilchrist.

Re: the Fritzi and original Nancy strips -- :sun: and :buddy: to the good people posting those.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

He's also going to get drunk.

Mary Worth

It's Marv from High School Big Shot.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Baby Simon Pegg

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

'What size? Small, medium, goliath, or God?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwF_LnTqLUM&t=341s

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I can't stop seeing Marv from High School Big Shot.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Late to the party, but yeah -- aside from the Tor Johnson Baby, the way this teacher/teachers are depicted in this strip gets me seeing the red mist. They always show Miss Whatserface lying on the beach all summer, too, and not working her second/third jobs to make up for no pay over summer, or spending her entire summer stuck in development workshops, admin, or writing all new lesson plans because upper management binned all of the previous year's work and initiatives.

This only reinforces what people like my family, my in-laws, and even Mr Boods think - that I work only 24 weeks a year, only 8 hours a week, ooooh, must be nice, shouldn't you think about getting a summer job instead of just lying around?

t:mad:t

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Huh, so according to Rex Morgan, it's easier for me to adopt an abandoned child than it was for me to adopt my current kitten hell-beast from the local cat-protection league. Good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

I may be hallucinating (quite likely due to pre-semester shenanigans), but the artwork in modern Nancy has been slightly different in the past week or so's worth of strips.

As for the Schulz threat: I remember when the original 'Farley dies' storyline ran as well (I could not stand April-as-a-child) -- all that pathos, and then Lynn reboots the strip so she could bring the dog back and ignore the Very Special Episode.

• Locked thread