Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Calaveron posted:

Crosspostin' from the webcomics thread

Hey, I remember when this was being posted in the thread. When did that stop? Less than a year ago, right? And when we left off I think these two moved out. Kevin and Kell actually moves at a decent clip, or am I just misremembering how long its been? I'd laugh if the K&K guy has a better grasp on storytelling than Brooke McEldowney.

Slammy posted:

What're the odds on legitimately nice guy that presents a hard choice for Iris after Wilbur returns vs. he's got an angle.

I was pondering this earlier (one should never ponder Mary Worth, what has this thread done to me), have we ever seen Mary give out advice that actually hurt? Not like, intentionally, of course, but I can't think of a time where she wasn't right on the money.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Still not as bad as the two-and-a-half-year Nazi Grandma story.

So, I do have a question about this storyline. Wasn't the "what was grandpa doing while gramma hosed a Nazi," wasn't that the third time he's gone to that story line? Didn't he do the original story, and then do it again with some more bits added?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I didn't expect Lost Side of Suburbia to reference Crumb, but its also been a while and I can't remember if there was a previous reference that made me raise my eyebrow. Also interested in Dope Rider, and I love Hagar the Historically-Accurate Viking.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I know that when I want to spite my parents, I send them a picture of me boning. Wait, no, I don't, because that is super loving weird and gross.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is bullshit; everyone knows Guan Yu was cooler.

Guan Yu was also like, 1000 years earlier so wouldn't be in a retrospective of the 1430's. As cool as he is, he doesn't transcend time to exist eternally (or at least I don't think, I haven't finished Romance of the Three Kingdoms yet).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I would read a Nazca-man comic. And that's a neat design, way better than, say, most of the New 52 costumes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's a sentai parody, the newest of which, Uchu Sentai Kyuranger, has some pretty cool constellation themed outfits:

Those looks so dull compared to the Kamen Rider ones I see every time my friend tries to convince me to watch it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

Wee Pals (January, 1971, click for big)

Oh my God.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Huh. Who is this? Have we seen her recently? Because you'd think I'd remember that face.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I bet Clive Barker has been swimming in pussy ever since Hellraiser came out.

Boy do I have news for you.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

They'll Do It Every Time (April, 1940, click for big)

Jesus Christ.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It didn't end with VHS either.

To be fair, I assume that's a full storyline with four episodes. The complete Tales from the Darkside I'm watching right now has eight per disc, but the quality is also just a bit better than VHS (I'm finding it rather charming though). The 10 random episodes thing is annoying though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It is, but that's out of a 26-episode season, and if you bought all of classic Doctor Who that way it's 155 DVDs (as opposed to 26 if it was one per season). It's fine, I suppose, if you're just buying a few of your favourite stories, but it's ridiculous if you want a complete collection.

True, but unless something radically changes you're never going to get a complete collection, so I guess that colours my perception of trying to get all of Doctor Who.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I'm starting to think Brooks has some kind of fetish for exhibition around parents.

Just a reminder, he also sent his parents video of them loving. For no adequately explained reason (even for this lovely strip).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vargo posted:

Wizard of Id reminds us that Sports and Politics both exist.

Big Nate teaches the Tinkersons that you don't even necessarily have to show the art in your joke about the art as long as you remember to tell an actual discernible joke goddammit

The king should probably be worried about that.

Also, Big Nate isn't great, but it lands good jokes a decent amount.

Also, I was amused by today's Dustin, and happy 10th to Fingerpori. Viperless milk is still a great introduction to it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I mean, I wouldn't yell that at them, but you do you Mr. Mind.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Obviously this is a reference to something, but I have no idea and the only "Wally World" I can think of is from Vacation, and I... sorta doubt that's the reference that Gilchrist is making.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is it still the same new artist that did the last arc?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vargo posted:

I'm beginning to see Baldo as kind of a "Horseshoe Theory" version of Dustin. I started reading it because it was nice to see a strip whose main focus was "look at this loving family" as opposed to the absolutely wretched and toxic abuse cycle that is Dustin. But Baldo goes way too far in the opposite direction. Literally 90% of the strips are "look how perfect these kids are! Look what a loving dad I am!" Both of them are middle-aged man fanwank, but one of them is "Man, my son, and all millennials, are lazy and useless. This is completely their fault and has nothing to do with me or my generation. I'm prefect and above everyone" and the other is "My children are so great, this is amazing, I am such a great dad, this has everything to do with me, me me me me me me me."

It's a nice counterpart to Dustin, but its problem that it's just not funny. I appreciate seeing a nice, even if not funny, strip about a Hispanic family though. Because the only other one I can think of was La Cucaracha and that was awful.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

That face in Panel 3 is going to give me nightmares.

I wanted to comment on it yesterday but it only got posted by accident.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

I am 1000% on board with these getting posted regularly. And I'm also shocked to see uniforms from the first Star Trek movie in, well, anything other than the first Star Trek movie.

No real comments on quality or anything, but if you ever track down that '60s Trek strip I'd be interested in it as well.

I think a while ago somebody did. If I remember right, it was a UK strip, and for the first several weeks they kept on calling Kirk 'Kirt.'

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

Ah, Poltergeist. An unexpected, but pleasant, surprise to see in a newspaper strip.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

I like the included tidbit that the Enterprise is not built to land. It just has to stay up in space forever. All the Trek I've watched all my life and I never really thought about that. Even though it seems like they crash it in every other movie, so clearly safe landings aren't its strong suit.

I believe Voyager is the only one we've seen with landing capabilities (or at least I remember at least one episode where it landed? It's been a long time).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Noodle Incident! :neckbeard:

You know, I always assumed that the Noodle Incident was that report on the brain that he did.

Also, the newspaper I had growing up didn't have Prince Valiant or Flash Gordon, they're pretty good and it's much easier to get into them than I was worried about, considering how long they've run.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Machine#Plot
Yvette Memieux:

hubba hubba.

The trailer is pretty fun. They don't make them like that any more. Catch the reference to another HG Wells story!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Slammy posted:

Fritzi Ritz From, whenever, who cares.

I just want to say, I care. (Classic) Nancy was good even before Nancy.

I'm pretty sure I found out about David Bowie in the last thread too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

Did he loving shrink the uncles?

I swear to god they were taller whenever i last saw them, but maybe he just never drew them from the waist down before

I think one of the uncles was fairly short, but not that short. I could be wrong though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Boy, I don't know why I love The Epic/Brutal Report so much but it might be one of my favourite bits from Super-Fun-Pak-Comix.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Green Intern posted:

:siren: Holy poo poo. Castor Oyl did something. :siren:

In a single strip even!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I think it's weird that the Sally Forth cast acts like young adults when they're twelve, but otherwise I like the comic.

To be fair, they've been twelve for a while.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ripley, she is bleeding from none of those things in that picture.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't want to get sick from old product.

Holy poo poo that shirt.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I think I get it, but I am having a Hell of a time actually parsing what Sluggo's supposed to be saying.

Edit: vv Thanks for Red and Rovering it for me. I didn't hear a whole lot of Chuck Berry growing up.

catlord fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 14, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

WTF? Has Brooke ever actually met a woman?

Does the dictionary he put lipstick on count?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

That's because he's a different person.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I shouldn't be surprised by anything in this strip, really, but here we are.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Most Obvious Fetish Strip.

Selachian posted:

Frank Bolle Memorial Award for Least Artistic Effort.

I just checked, he's still alive (and he'll live in our hearts even after).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

I have never seen this story arc before. :stare: We must have been missing one or two of the collections.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

What in the gently caress. Did Reddick chow down on some shrooms before doing this one?

Accusing climate scientists of ignoring data they don't like is pretty loving rich coming from a Trumpist.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Way back in middle school once these four girls took the back two rows of the bus, one girl per seat that would hold two people. When I called them out on it, one of them slapped me. But she was tiny, like, I'm not a tall person and slightly less so back then, but she had to jump up to look me in the eye while she slapped me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Who the gently caress asks about a toe with "how's it going?" I could see "how are you" or something like that, but "how's it going" is such a loving vague and general question that I can't possibly think of anybody immediately assuming that they're being asked about a minor injury.

For the record I read the first word balloon and the last couple panels because holy gently caress look at the ink spent on everything in between.

• Locked thread