Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gah! Sorry I forgot to double check. I was in a hurry. Not in a hurry now though. And yeah, it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

...So am I just heartless, or is April an almost completely unsympathetic character? Yeah, she has PTSD, I think, but I remember her being completely unbent and antisocial even before that happened. My first vague memory of her was that she was doing cool CIA stuff like "murdering terrorists" and being totally smug about it, so this whole arc is giving me Zero Dark Thirty flashbacks where we're supposed to feel sorry for people who spent the first half of the movie reflexively committing war crimes and now have mental problems because of it, without once ever stopping to think that maybe what they did was wrong beyond the fact that it negatively affected them personally.

It's also possible I'm confusing April with another soap character. That's easy to do.

Tracksuit

I've given up trying to spell his name right.

They're ordering black noodles, if it matters.

Mother From Another Country

...I'm not sure I get the last panel. Those are beeping sounds she's making, if that helps.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Huh. At first I was wondering why they didn't just use the bridle on the dead horse as their string, but the inability of anyone to vocalize that option makes a lot more sense in light of that twist. It wouldn't surprise me if the Colonel brings it up now that Modesty's knocked out and can't martyr herself to save him.

Tracksuit

Another Game of Death reference, which seems especially obscure considering this is a movie that technically doesn't even exist. I rather suspect this is just an excuse to draw random copyrighted characters.

The punchline makes a lot more sense this time though.

I was really hoping for a hat trick of untranslated reaction shots but unfortunately the third one isn't as intuitive as the first two. I really love the lettering in this comic but I'm the only one who ever gets to see it.

edit: the next Tracksuit is another Mencius parody. Could someone remind me what his actual name in Chinese is? I would have quoted it if I'd thought this would come up again...

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 9, 2017

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Dog the common core is trying to teach my kids that mathematics is something besides a set of calculations to be memorized by rote, and I can't have that.

I never would have thought to see an argument defending common core on this forum, let alone this subforum, and especially not the math section, yet here we are. Jeb would be proud.

But then maybe I'm just an idiot. I wasn't taught under common core and I assumed Sudoku was a mathematical puzzle just like the Big Nate guy did.

Tracksuit

No one told me his name so I'm just referring to him in the third person now.

In the modern context a suicide joke would have been more intuitive but suicide wasn't a major trend in South Korea at the time this comic was written so I didn't want to mislead anyone and just did a direct translation.

I am obviously ahead of the real life +3 year calendar at this point but that's because I'm trying to get to a format change before next year's thread. There's maybe twenty five or so left until then, so I seem to be on track.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 10, 2017

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Wow, what a racist comic.

I mean, you can't tell since I fixed it, but the original said Quinten Johnson when obviously it is referring to Quinten Jackson.

Oh yeah also the Chinese are ruining everything.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

For those who don't know, this is Turkish ice cream. It stays solid for longer than other types of ice cream and the vendors use this aspect to troll people.

Tracksuit

I like the implication in the last panel that the Emperor still accepts the premise.

Literally this reference is nonsensical. Since Adelina Sotnikova was eighteen when this comic first ran, there's no reason anyone from the Mother's younger days would have called her that.

Metaphorically the joke is more complex. Sotnikova was infamous for getting a gold medal in figure skating during the 2014 Winter Olympics in spite of the fact that her routine included an obvious error. By contrast Kim Yuna, the South Korean entry, holder of a huge number of world records and probably the single most highly acclaimed figure skater in the world, performed a perfect routine and only made second place.

This was very controversial at the time. I'm positive I heard about it in English language news too, not just the South Korean news. Yet there's no mention of the controversy now on anyone's Wikipedia page. Even more hilariously, Sotnikova has had no career to speak of since then, which would appear to validate the argument commonly made at the time that the event was rigged. Kim Yuna is now retired (figure skaters tend to retire young) and doing promotional work for the 2018 Olympics in PyeongChang South Korea. The entire county of Pyeongchang is only forty thousand people so I don't have a clue how or why they're hosting the 2018 Olympics.

That's an awful lot of context for a one-off statement that just amounts to "haha they called you that because you secretly suck" but whatever.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LvK posted:

so, ahh, this came up on my Twitter feed and I thought of this thread (I fell behind two years ago and just haven't been in them ever since, whoops)

Y'know our "pal" Guy Gilchrist? He's, uh... he's been up to some stuff, and he sounds like a real piece of poo poo, alright!

https://twitter.com/MuppetFeminist/status/931591227660783616

Well poo poo. This explains those weird Hallmark card comics he was making. Must have known the writing was on the wall. So once the modern Gilchrists are gone, the late nineties Gilchrists are going to stop getting posted too right? Because even as intellectual exercise I'm going to feel really sick looking at them really fast if this story is in fact accurate.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

So is it just me or do those introductions have gently caress all to do with the story we end up seeing? I'm trying to figure out how we started with "this was a time of frequent IRA bombings" to "Modesty is conscripted to participate in a hot air balloon competition and accidentally becomes a witness to a fight to the death and is captured by an eighteen century aristocracy cult" and I uh, I'm totally lost.

Tracksuit

Aw, a happy ending.

Sort of.

We're in early 2015 now so this reference isn't as timely as it looks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Asking a Dick Tracy villain how they got their name has got to be the single laziest bit of writing I've seen in many years of following this thread. With a wide margin, too.

I don't know, it might be interesting if the villain in question wasn't actually ugly.

Tracksuit

I'm assuming this is a joke about how the magistrate in the Story of Chunhyang would have needed witnesses and guards, but they are never seen or mentioned until the end of the story.

Good parenting.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm happy to see it posted here because it's such important comics history, and it owns the poo poo out of a lot of the trash comics the weirdos religiously "contribute," but...

...I don't really get Krazy Kat.

You and me both. I still remember getting excited at finding a collection at the library, because Watterson talks it up so much in the Calvines and Hobbes anthologies, but every time I try to read it...I just don't understand it at all.

Drakyn posted:

Everett True was in Weapon Brown? Is it possible you're scrambling him with the OTHER bald belligerent monster, Daddy Warbucks?

Would anyone be interested in reposting Weapon Brown? When I first came to this thread it was just finishing, so I never really understood why anyone was excited so much by it- the hiatus between page updates didn't help. But now that it's done, it could easily make for a more accessible regular contribution, especially with the new year's thread coming up. Wasn't it drawn by a goon?

Then complain to the building manager Ed ugh how are you so bad at being a fat cheapskate when those are like two of your three personality traits.

Tracksuit

There are no dates attached to these so only internal context makes it possible to tell when they were drawn relative to one another. 2010 seems a pretty big jump from the last marker we saw though, that game in 2007.

Although wow, what a weirdly specific reference for a joke that could be applied to nearly anyone in the media. Brought to you by the commission to raise awareness of Pele's failures, I guess.

In reference to the color of the pig, not the color of the meat.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I can't decide whether this would be funnier if that's his agent or his therapist. The smug look in the first panel really sells it.

MariusLecter posted:

Cuphead fanart?

Back in the day Japan made all sorts of crazy cutesy shooting games. Almost none of them got released stateside though, which is a shame.

Tracksuit

I've never heard of such a bizarre idea. I mean, there's the mini-libraries sure, but no one expects anyone to give money for the books they take. It's just on the honor system to bring them back.

The outfit actually got me to laugh out loud.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wait, hold the gently caress up. What.

Kevin and Kell have a daughter who is a carnivorous rabbit sharing traits from both of them. In Holbrook's perception of the world, the problem with Nazis is not that they want to an establish a permanent overclass over lesser beings. It's that they want to define who is in this overclass purely on the basis of race, when everyone knows you have to let the best of the underclasses breed in with the overclass once in awhile to guarantee genetic diversity.

Really, it's a perfect metaphor for neoliberalist thought. There's nothing inherently wrong with the system as presented where predators literally eat prey except for the fact that sometimes people or animals or whatever make bigoted comments. Hence why Kevin's resistance leader dad is just as bad as the nudist Nazi dogs, since both groups want to disrupt the happy bourgeoise life of Kevin and Kell which is only made possible by the fact that Kell destroys the lives of prey species just to make money. The real crime is making mean comments, and how can Kell be mean, when she married a rabbit. A rabbit who, incidentally, is mega-buff and can easily defend himself from predators like Kell. Unlike all the other rabbits she's presumably killed. Maybe she called a moratorium on that specific species when she married Kevin who knows.

Tracksuit

I have no idea if this is a real story or not.

Also I think the kid is being sarcastic which made the punchline hard to guess.

Well if you can think of easily confused English words for "proselytization" and "that morning greeting thing students in East Asian countries do where they wear sashes" I'd like to hear it.

edit: well after reading that reply I just feel like my original translation was garbage so I made a better one.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 6, 2017

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Angular Cyrus posted:

If you guessed that the comments on these are filled with racists, congrats, you're a psychic.

The main thing part of this arc that offends me is that it portrays a Cuban immigrant positively when he obviously is more upset about the cops sniffing around his store in general than he is about what they're sniffing around about. Which is admittedly in character for Cuban immigrants, the people who get the insane government benefits right wingers think all immigrants in this country get and gave us Marco Rubio in return. Him being from Honduras would have been a lot more topical, but lol at anyone in the newspaper industry wanting to acknowledge that particular clusterfuck.

Tracksuit

Same template but she got her hair done.

Usually they do have gravestones though? This must be a special Jeju thing I guess.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

What right does the hedgehog have to attack this group. So they want to eat her baby, thats just nature.

Because it's only wrong to kill people animals you can identify by name. I wonder if ever comes up in their legal system when someone murders and eats someone they know by accident.

Tracksuit

Digging the unremarkable Godzilla invasion in the first panel.

I'm kind of disappointed over the years that Tracksuit has never gotten into subplots with its recurring characters.

The first two jokes are easy enough but I don't really understand the guiding principle behind the last one at all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Whoa it's like the Walking Dead except there's no zombies and all the characters are small children.

...so not very different than Walking Dead at all, come to think of it...

Tracksuit

Not sure professor's the right word, but nothing else seems to fit.

Geomancers identify good gravesites. Presumably this to insure that departed family spirits are happy and at peace, although this also has the benefit of making sure they don't come back as vengeful ghosts.

The code should translate true, but I only double checked it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

I'm really curious -- what's the literal translation for what the boys in the last panel are saying?

That is the literal translation- well, the one on the left slurs "old" so that it's spelled with the wrong opening consonant. But the reason that's in there is because they're not using pseudoformal speech even though they obviously don't know each other and neither of them is interpreting it as an insult.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Well isn't this typical. Kelly finds a statistic implying that excessive wealth inequality isn't even beneficial to those on the top end, yet still finds a way to blame everything on lazy millenials.

Tracksuit

Yeah this is kind of back-to-back but I've been really paranoid the new thread will start before I reach my arbitrary stopping point. I'm not sure if or when I'll participate in the new thread, so it's important to me that I get it right.

Incidentally that last face there is probably my favorite expression I've seen in this entire comic so far.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

Beauty comes in many sizes, but lord. He draws her rear end so huge. Her boyfriend is supposed to be a fat character and she's supposed to be a bombshell out of his league, but compare their relative sizes. And yet her head is so small.

I always thought she was unobtainable on account of being a girl nerd, not that she was a bombshell. We've never seen anyone else make a pass at her. I think. Yeah the gross guys in the date montage sure but they'd be doing that even if she was a manatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

I think Skip has definitely become slimmer, and Gwen has certainly become curvier. I always thought she was supposed to be kind of plain but pretty, not really out of Skip's league (although she could do better).

Good lord. I didn't think too much of Gwen's character design before but now that I've seen her original appearance the current version looks like an abomination.

Tracksuit

The military humor in Tracksuit should be required reading for anyone seriously thinking about enlisting. Well strictly speaking Willie and Joe would be more relatable. And educational, since the Greatest Generation and World War II are so heavily fetishized to hell and back it's a bit off-putting to learn that the people who actually participated in it enjoyed cartoons that are cynical even by modern standards.

And that's it. I want to stop here because 108 contains a mostly unnoticeable format change. If I come back next thread it will be much less regularly, since these are up to April 2015 now and the seasons are out of sync. Season 2 contains 183 comics, for reference, and ended exactly two years ago today. Season 3 contains 197 comics, still publishes, and so far as I can tell looks exactly the same as Season 2 did.

• Locked thread