Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Dick Tracy (November, 2009, click for big)

That tiger!!!! :kimchi: :kimchi: :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Nenonen posted:

YOU can swim from Tierra del Fuego to Kamchatka across just one ocean!

it's so empowering

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

This could easily have been a piranha club strip

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

That says so much about the Luann commenters, and what it says is sad as hell.

It takes a level of skill to masturbate unnoticed at the breakfast table

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Where does the castle gate slide into when it's raised? That doesn't seem like there's enough space above it for the gate to move up.

This comic strip isn't very realistic.

It rolls up like a polyurethane garage dor.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Why do Mr and Mrs dustin even bother going out to eat? To feed an inner sense of superiority?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Curtis rules and I get the sense the artist is at least a little self-aware

painynumbs posted:

Piraro is one of the worst working cartoonists. By far. Guy can't land one single loving joke and is also outright offensive at times to boot.

I feel like part of it is just the expressions on every character's face, in every strip. Everyone looks so loving full of ennui, like they all look like that Super Fun Pak parody of the Lockhorns, they know they're in the comic, they know they're part of a probably not good joke, and they're just going through the motions. Everyone just delivers their wry quip with no physical emotion or conviction whatsoever and it's almost draining to look at any strip for more than a few seconds.

90% of Bizarro strips:
:geno: The minorities, eh?
:what: Yes, I, too, have seen them depicted in media.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Here's my favorite Actually Funny Bizarro (which I like mostly for the stupid pun):

That is actually good

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I like that they made a lesbian character, but named her Prudence so the older readers know she's not a threat.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

Well at least winter's almost over.

I feel like a lot of these have been going over my head recently, but this one made me laugh out loud. The expresisons are so great

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Retail is a very good newspaper comic.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I'll disagree, not least because Norm Feuti isn't a huge, gaping, flapping rear end in a top hat

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Dolly, that's a nostril

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Help. I know Inspector Danger is impenetrable 99% of the time but what the gently caress is the cpation even talking about this time? Nobody in this strip is wiping their glasses, was there an extra line-up panel that got cut to fit the format?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

:drat:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

the better Hanson song.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Working Daze is a shadow that casts itself.

quote:

Luann

omg i hate you so much you dumb comic strip character

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

I'm missing something here- does the joke have something to do with the glass table or the lady's miserable face?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Shugojin posted:

A little of both. If you look, she's also kicking/nudging her husband under the table as well as glaring at him, so he knows she does not want him to stay.

Thanks, despite Tweedy's obvious eyeline and the inclusion of the glass table for a narrative purpose I missed that. :doh:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

CommaToes posted:

Um... they used the wrong time change.

lol drat

I mean I guess if there's 9 am mass and 1030 mass they can just wait for the next one but lol

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Nenonen posted:

what kind of dating service is that?? :psyduck:

dammit you got me

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

And He Did. (March, 1916)

They'll Do It Every Time (May, 1940, click for big)
[5img]https://i.imgur.com/zZrDyvzh.png[/5img]

I love days like this in the And He Did comic where you get a glimpse of something you shouldn't be able to relate to, but feels relatable anyway.

And the TDIET! The groom to be's frustrated hand gesture!!

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Others are quote

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

That's not TDIET, that's thread favorite The Gay Thirties! I'd have to do a bunch of research, but I'm wondering if Gay Thirties was one of the first gag-a-day strips to show young married couples in domestic situations. From my limited browsing, many of them are oldsters.

Somehow I quoted the wrong image while quoting the correct title- gonna fix my post.

edit: You trickster, it's because you had TDIET listed under "Mopsy" :cop:

sweeperbravo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 14, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

How vintage glam do you have to be before you get sparkly nipples?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Wow, Bernice is really and honestly the worst.

I really enjoyed this week's Tina's Grooves.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Slammy posted:

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

I love classic Archie. Ms Grundy looks so disappointed in the last panel :shobon:

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 1-2, 1930)

Why've they all tied their clothes up like that though?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

IronSaber posted:

So I looked up what this "rarebit" is, and apparently it's like... cheese sauce over toast? And apparently this is a crazy enough dish to give people these Kafkaesque dreams.

Why don't you try making yourself some, like the rest of us did, and see the magic for yourself?

(I've made it a few times now, but it's hard for me to say whether it causes nightmares since that's all I ever have anymore anyway :smith: Some friends who indulged the rarebit reported back having had crazy dreams afterward though)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

They missed the opportunity to make it "Ripley's Bean-lieve it or not" :colbert:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

That's not even a well-drawn pizza and I'm hungry. :mad:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

That's nice of the dad's one coworker to come to his daughter's party.

And this made me laugh out loud, thanks.

Also- did I miss something, or did Funky Winkerbean literally go from "Funky explores an abandoned house, completely devoid of narrative context" to this dumb comic-artist flashback? What was the point?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hate everything about this, up to and including the fact that "On the Fast Track" still exists.

The thing I like least about it is it's actually "Fast Rack," what even is that

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

zits: Call her friends and enlist their help to throw her a surprise party. Guests bring $5 to cover pizza or whatever. But I guess that wouldn't be funny and wacky and relatable enough, lol, girls, right, always wanting things

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

Edge of Cheesecake

I know this is like the least worst thing about this strip, but ... how many women in 1937 wore bikinis?

Also: "I'm so glad everything is over." You don't even know who poisoned your buddy and trashed your room, how is everything over?

Do people actually just lie with their face in the sand like that? I mean aside from, like, the kids in Out Our Way?

ed: also what hand is holding that glass it doesn't look right

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

"Erare" just doesn't bring to mind the sound of a cat screaming, no matter how much the cartoonist insists it does.

No I can hear it (first like 10 seocnds I guess)
another example

Mostly it makes me think of that stock cat scream sound, which is what I was trying to find when I found the above two videos, but you know the one- whenever they show someone in a movie or TV show walking through an alley and knocking over a trash can, the environmental stray cat always makes that stock sound. "Erare" is a servicable way of spelling it out.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Sloths are well-known for being slow-moving, and are often characterized as "lazy."

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

bernice is the worst

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

This made me laugh really hard IRL.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Darthemed posted:

I'd add a 'Dethany from On the Fastrack' label to that Big Nate strip, but couldn't find an edit with that on the first page, so laziness wins.

Anyway, I was at a Barnes & Noble the other day, picking through their magazine selection, and one with the title Creeps caught my eye. I pulled it down, flipped through the first few pages (it turned out to be a horror comics anthology), and found the following in the letters column, so I bought it to share with the thread.

:3:

I still think Jam Esallen is a scourge but this interaction was cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The "vendo"? :crossarms:

From which other comic would you expect British sounding slang, than Funky Winkerbean?

• Locked thread