Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like saying Judge Parker "got good" undersells its transformation.

Francesco Marculiano, aka "the Sally Forth guy," took over and immediately began to destroy the lives of the overly-wealthy protagonists in the most satisfying way. That factory staffed only by old people and run primarily on bribery? Sinkhole! The movie based on the Judge's book? Cancelled! Sophie? Missing! Basically every ongoing plot thread involving the Parker-Drivers receiving lots of money based on being main characters was shoved into the goddamned dirt to make something new and crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I wasn't actually aware that Mandrake and his knock-off relatives had powers other than "hypnotize people with mystical gestures and make them perceive whatever you want."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I forget, did Mandrake's friends do anything whatsoever to determine which twin was the good one aside from asking the only conscious one whether he was Mandrake?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The only thing that isn't boring about The Phantom is the evil stuff the Phantom is constantly doing, and given that I'm pretty sure that the author isn't aware of the fact that the Phantom is an awful person, I have to wonder what he thinks the comic is actually about.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, we've all got ideas about which comic is the worst artistically, but which one's protagonists are the worst as people? Luann? The Phantom? Dustin? Dilbert? Rex Morgan?

I guess Judge Parker has escaped our cold, pitiless judgment for now, and Pros and Cons doesn't count because it's intentional.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think I could name anybody in Funky as actually bad, morally. They're a more-or-less homogenous bunch of sad sacks who have given up on fighting against the malevolent universe they live in, but they aren't malevolent in and of themselves.

Thankfully my brain is adapted to completely tune out Piranha Club, so I have no idea who any of those characters are or why they keep doing cannibal jokes at least once a month.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so, you get to pick one strip to be taken over, Judge Parker style, by someone who will torment all the characters forever.

Rex Morgan? Luann? Dustin? Intelligent Life? Chickweed?

Of course, you have to be careful what you wish for... I offered this package to someone just like you ten years ago and he said, "Funky Winkerbean."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

There is nothing irrational about this anger.

Yeah, irrational is more like "people who really hate blandly decent webcomics for being blandly decent." Luann is actively promoting a bunch of really terrible people as good and pushing a bunch of honestly somewhat better people as trash.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

They did specifically go out to a bunch of Jewish cemeteries and smash things, so it's not exactly completely out of left field, although Big Margie deciding to being screaming about how the Jews have dragged the cops so low they'll actually arrest people caught disposing of evidence to a felony is kind of doubling down.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure this Moomin story has been posted before, so that's probably why. You may want to figure out who was posting them previously and see what they already did?

The world could always use more Moomin stuff, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought they'd gone there because Sprocket finally got tired of her brother's constant abuse!

It later turned out the car was a submacar.

I don't think they've ever referred to Sprocket being abused by Silver ever again, so I'm as confused on that aspect as you are.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

"I killed who knows how many people through terrorist acts, but saving this random person will morally absolve me of all that."

Get hosed.

I was wondering if anyone was ever going to address how...close those two are.

I'm still wondering if they've dropped the plotline about Silver being abusive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Don't associate my hometown with pluggers!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I can't believe our technology to make people have hallucinations was foiled by people pretending they weren't having hallucinations!

(Also that's some pretty lame mind-control tech, really. I was expecting something a lot more impressive from the build-up.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel sort of bad for Sprocket, but on the other hand, "you're a terrible criminal because you insist on wearing a very specific and recognizable kind of outfit no matter what, so just have this free jailbreak and relax" isn't that bad a deal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

What a lame-rear end forced situation, she could just have changed her loving clothes.

It's established that she won't do this because she is a hippie who wants to be "close to Mother Earth". Also she feeds people to her pet hyena.

My sympathy is limited, is what I'm saying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

I do not know what is broken within me, but Brooke just doesn't OFFEND me. It's boring.ugly, garbage, but it just doesnt offend.
Holbrook? He offends me on a near daily basis that Brooke WISHES he could reach.

Brooke is really just exercising his fetish in public. It's gross and possibly a little bit rude, but it isn't, like immoral, unless making bad art is immoral.

Holbrook is actively promoting some really unhealthy ideas about relationships and marketing them to exactly the people who don't need to hear them. (Admittedly I have no reason to believe any of them are paying the slightest bit of attention.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Brooke is definitely promoting unhealthy ideas about relationships but I have no idea if anyone is paying attention.

Oh, I guess you could be right; I just have an incredibly difficult time following what's going on in Brooke's stuff because it's so decompressed-yet-mildly-bizarre.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

People really need to stop wondering when Scott Adams went "crazy."

He is not crazy. He is a troll. He is doing this on purpose. He is pretty much exactly BravestOfTheLamps if forum posters could get near-invulnerable national syndication.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

We are what we pretend to be.

My point is mostly that you shouldn't be surprised. Yes, he is going to escalate; no, there is nothing too crazy for him to say, because he does not have real opinions, he just adopts standards that he thinks will enrage liberals or please those pleased by the thought that some liberal somewhere is probably enraged.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I forget, has any Modesty Blaise story yet involved her and Willie being seriously incommoded, or is it just an endless parade of us pitying the fools who didn't realize who they were messing with?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Not really remembering what April used to be like makes it much harder to enjoy her suffering than I do, say, Neddy's.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, Breaking Cat News is pretty much just the author writing down whatever her cats are doing that day, right?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I assume she's going to use the Magic of Genetics (TM), "featuring Samantha from Safe Havens," to turn them all into caterpillars or something.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like ignoring the current vintage Apartment 3G story has led to me missing some choice insanity—can anybody explain to me what's going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, where did Rip acquire the kid he already has?

• Locked thread